Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: v8 Guys! How did my bumper turn out?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JRust
Okay so I did a search & looked at quite a few different topics. I saw some examples but they are spread between quite a few posts. So I was hoping I could get you v8 guys to put up some pics here.

Considering the bumper cutout to match the foglight grills & then Renegades valance. Not sold on that setup though. I'd kind of like to cutout the bottom of the bumper & tie whatever valance into the cut. While having a ram in the valance that matches the bumper width wise.

So please show me what you got aktion035.gif Bumper radiator wise that is dry.gif
Bruce Hinds
QUOTE(JRust @ Sep 21 2008, 08:43 PM) *

Okay so I did a search & looked at quite a few different topics. I saw some examples but they are spread between quite a few posts. So I was hoping I could get you v8 guys to put up some pics here.

Considering the bumper cutout to match the foglight grills & then Renegades valance. Not sold on that setup though. I'd kind of like to cutout the bottom of the bumper & tie whatever valance into the cut. While having a ram in the valance that matches the bumper width wise.

So please show me what you got aktion035.gif Bumper radiator wise that is dry.gif

This is pretty..... remember intake size is less important than exit area.

Rand
My favorite is one of our PNW guys, "jmmotorsports..." wub.gif
JRust
I have admired Jim's car for a long time. I do like the look of his. The other one above it was along the lines I was thinking. I do like Jim's setup a little better I think. Do you know where he got that valance. Looks like renegades but with the gt flared ends. I wonder who makes that one???
plymouth37
Here was my last setup, Nothing fancy, I am running Renegades valence.
Please disregard the dork in the picture biggrin.gif
Click to view attachment
plymouth37
Here is the one I welded up for Carreraguy's amazing conversion. (picture blatantly stolen from Carreraguy)
Click to view attachment
Rand
I love the cutout, ya dork. tongue.gif But where'd ya get the freakin' chicken wire!? The country grange? Need to put a nice grill in place of that poultry fencing! Haha.

Seriously, I love that cutout. Very nice rounded corners and flanges! Fuse it with a nice grill like Jim's and you'll have something spectacular.
smilie_pokal.gif
plymouth37
QUOTE(Rand @ Sep 21 2008, 11:04 PM) *

I love the cutout, ya dork. tongue.gif But where'd ya get the freakin' chicken wire!? The country grange? Need to put a nice grill in place of that poultry fencing! Haha.

I have to admit the chicken wire is a little ghetto, it is Renegade's standard treatment for the grill area mostly because it doesn't block much air flow.
I initially didn't plan on installing the wire, I even ran my car for a couple months without it but got tired of wincing every time a rock came near my $1000 radiator.
Don't worry, I am planning something along the line of Jim's grill for the Anklebiter.
Rand
I have to say I am surprised Renegade used that stuff! I'd rather see expanded metal than something I'd be sticking my wiggling finger through waiting for the rabbit to come out. tongue.gif

I know you'll do something cool with the quality of your build Dana. Looking forward to that.

Jamie, anything like this with a more serious screen would look great. That bumper cutout is nice. Holesaw and smooth the corner cuts for a nice rounded finish.
plymouth37
QUOTE(Rand @ Sep 21 2008, 11:45 PM) *

I have to say I am surprised Renegade used that stuff! I'd rather see expanded metal than something I'd be sticking my wiggling finger through waiting for the rabbit to come out. tongue.gif

I think the main motivation behind using that stuff is the lack of airflow restriction. There are so many V8 cars out there that are really close to overheating, if you threw some nice perforated aluminum in the grill area it would push them over the edge, it's scary but true. Not to say that Renegade doesn't sell a good cooling system, but you do have to be really carefull about blocking airflow.
marks914
Heres mine. Simple, clean. Non restrictive

Mark

IPB Image
JRust
Hey Mark I have to admit I am not a big fan of the 916 bumper. You have a very nice clean setup though. Almost change my mind sad.gif
jimkelly
pic
carreraguy

I agree; noticed that from the get-go and I'm finally in the process of replacing the chicken wire with a nice mesh I got from JWE as seen in the attached pic. I figure if its okay for the 935's, its okay for me!

Click to view attachment
dakotaewing
QUOTE(carreraguy @ Sep 22 2008, 04:45 PM) *

I agree; noticed that from the get-go and I'm finally in the process of replacing the chicken wire with a nice mesh I got from JWE as seen in the attached pic. I figure if its okay for the 935's, its okay for me!

Do you have a pic of the inside of the fender well too???
dakotaewing
Here are a few pics -
Not my cars...
tronporsche
Here is the bad news. Take a look at everyones front bumper. What is missing ?? Yes, the lisence plate. I recently got pulled over for not having one too. European plates fit nicely on that little side lip on the bumper, but American plates are nice and tall , so they just about cover that entire air hole when you mount it to the center front. But if you don't mind getting pulled over and tickets for no front plate MOUNTED TO THE FRONT BUMPER than disregard this post.
carreraguy
QUOTE(tronporsche @ Sep 22 2008, 03:11 PM) *

Here is the bad news. Take a look at everyones front bumper. What is missing ?? Yes, the lisence plate. I recently got pulled over for not having one too. European plates fit nicely on that little side lip on the bumper, but American plates are nice and tall , so they just about cover that entire air hole when you mount it to the center front. But if you don't mind getting pulled over and tickets for no front plate MOUNTED TO THE FRONT BUMPER than disregard this post.

Yep I've thought of that too.
In my experience the cops do not have the time/interest to stop for this (unless possibly as an subterfuge for stopping) and only the "meter maid" types ticket for no front plate. Thus I keep the front plate behind my seat and when I park and think I MAY be liable to be ticketed, I place it on the dash. In CA as long as its visible, it will work.
Of course, if I was stopped for speeding w/o a plate it MAY be another story. sad.gif
If I do get a "fixit ticket", not 100% sure what I would do under that scenario but I'll cross that bridge when I get there. Likely just drill the holes, mount the plate, get the fixit ticket written off, remove the plate and cover the holes somehow.
carreraguy
QUOTE(dakotaewing @ Sep 22 2008, 02:51 PM) *

I don't have one handy but I'll be glad to try to take one asap and PM it to you.
tronporsche
QUOTE(carreraguy @ Sep 22 2008, 02:33 PM) *

QUOTE(tronporsche @ Sep 22 2008, 03:11 PM) *

Yep I've thought of that too.
In my experience the cops do not have the time/interest to stop for this (unless possibly as an subterfuge for stopping) and only the "meter maid" types ticket for no front plate. Thus I keep the front plate behind my seat and when I park and think I MAY be liable to be ticketed, I place it on the dash. In CA as long as its visible, it will work.
Of course, if I was stopped for speeding w/o a plate it MAY be another story. sad.gif
If I do get a "fixit ticket", not 100% sure what I would do under that scenario but I'll cross that bridge when I get there. Likely just drill the holes, mount the plate, get the fixit ticket written off, remove the plate and cover the holes somehow.
FYI.......if the highway patrol pulls you over, this can lead to other "exposures" that you may not be interested in dealing with ....like , the REFEREE, and "fix it" tickets in Cali. are no longer your ,$50 dollar "just write it off" solutions. Now, If I am correct, the fines get higher everytime you pay them a visit for the same violation leading up to them being able to keep your car. (I believe.) Being in a 914, I have only been stopped twice. One for the lisence plate, (which was really just an excuse to pull me over, obviously, beleive me...) and another time for stopping at the stop light, but not where a sign says "stop here" before a ndighborhood couldasac, and the motorcycle cop was hiding out, because he knows this confuses people. In both cases, the biggest interest was in the 914 itself, this tells me.......I will undoubtedly get pulled over again, for anything they can find, and probably even if there is no reason. So, I would put that front plate on, if I were you !!!
carreraguy

[/quote]So, I would put that front plate on, if I were you !!![/quote]

Thanks, but I'll take my chances - no ticket since I transformed the car in 2005 (he said crossing fingers) biggrin.gif
dakotaewing
QUOTE(carreraguy @ Sep 22 2008, 05:36 PM) *

QUOTE(dakotaewing @ Sep 22 2008, 02:51 PM) *

I don't have one handy but I'll be glad to try to take one asap and PM it to you.

That would be great - I want to see how you dealt with the wire mesh on the back side !

TE
Wes V
QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Sep 21 2008, 10:45 PM) *

Dana; how did you get Johnny Cash to stand next to your car?

As for front license plates; The cops around L.A. do give tickets for it and the reason is that they have started installing a whole bunch of "photo cops". You know, when there are sensors that see you going through a red light and take your photo. If the photo doesn't show the front license plate, they can't ID the car. (just so you know; the photo also has to show your face, so throw up your hands over your face as you drive through the intersection)

Wes
computers4kids
Still transforming the project car, but here it is at this stage in the game. Now imagine it with the polished fuchs etc.
JRust
Looks good Mark! I keep forgetting what year 350z you got the grill from? 2002-05? I am leaning this way for the front. I went ahead & ordered Renegades front
Valance. I'll be making all the cut's this week so I need to decide for sure. More pics people please idea.gif
charliew
In TX. I was told by a inspection tech at the suby dealership that a front liscense plate is not illegal but they will still stop you for it. This was after taking my sons car in to get a leakey rear diff seal repaired and being a little late due to being stopped and a warning ticket being issued by some local kid that I think really just wanted to abuse his authority. I have always wanted a flip down liscense plate in the front just for the occasion. Not sure about the ground clearance though on the 916 front bumper. I think thats what I will use as a starting point although it needs lots of help to reach my idea of what I want. I think the front is the most important view on a car as thats what you usually see first even though it's sometimes in the rear view mirror for some.
Zundfolge
The ONLY thing I miss since moving away from Kansas was the lack of a front plate (unless you got a vanity plate and I'm a lot cheaper than I am vain).

Here in Colorado my wife's car has been running for the last 6 years sans front plate and I have no intention of putting one on my 914 either (I have a 916 front bumper and I'll be DAMNED if I'm going to drill holes in it for a plate). Neither of us have been hassled, however we live in a city with a very large military presence thus half the cars here are tagged out of state so I think the local PD just ignores plate issues all together.
tronporsche
I now have a mounted liscence plate frame on my 916 bumper. I am going to post the pictures on a new thread, so in case others have been considering doing this, they won't miss out on the thought........"916 front bumper lisence plate mounting".
JRust
Man talk about a thread going off base! I could care less about the license plate at this point. dry.gif How bout we get some more pictures of the bumper cutout for Radiators! biggrin.gif
tronporsche
The thread didn't go off base at all !!! The reason the lisence plate situation came up is because if you have certain bumpers, that lisence plate is going to effect your radiator air flow, and perhaps OTHER people have not taken that into consideration before deciding to do a conversion, right ???? (kinda a 914 public knowledge thing , if you don't mind) But to not go to far off base, that is why I started a new thread . smile.gif (which you got credit for, if you care.) But just in case you, or somone else, decide to go with a 916 front end, or anyone else with a V-8, or V-6, or any other conversion, here is the front bumper cut out.........
JRust
I'm just hoping to get some more pics. The license plate thing is a good point. Glad you started another thread on it too. My point was to hopefully get more pics coming. Wasn't meant as your reply stunk or didn't belong. Really was just hoping to get a ton of pics on different setups. I'm probably going with something like Jim's & Mark's setup. There is always someone out there with a setup that will really hit the spot. Not sold on which way to go yet. Hoping to keep from doing it & then finding another setup I like better.

Your car is sweet Tron. What did you add the hood vent for? Is that where your radiator outlet is? Just curious as to why you added the hood vent. Looks nice on your car & I've only seen one other 914 with one like that. Where else are you outletting your radiator.
Rand
Hey J, here's a couple more pics I had on hand. Couldn't resist throwing that silver one in. laugh.gif
tronporsche
QUOTE(JRust @ Sep 24 2008, 07:11 PM) *

I'm just hoping to get some more pics. The license plate thing is a good point. Glad you started another thread on it too. My point was to hopefully get more pics coming. Wasn't meant as your reply stunk or didn't belong. Really was just hoping to get a ton of pics on different setups. I'm probably going with something like Jim's & Mark's setup. There is always someone out there with a setup that will really hit the spot. Not sold on which way to go yet. Hoping to keep from doing it & then finding another setup I like better.

Your car is sweet Tron. What did you add the hood vent for? Is that where your radiator outlet is? Just curious as to why you added the hood vent. Looks nice on your car & I've only seen one other 914 with one like that. Where else are you outletting your radiator.
Thanks, J. I know you didn't mean anything negative by the reply, sometimes things on the computer sound differently read than out of the person's mouth, which is why a lot ot times I put a happy face by the post so no one will think I mean any aggressiveness by my comment smile.gif !!! (which by the way , I hope you know I wasn't trying to be !! )

The hood vent was added because There was a car show I wanted to attend, and It was kind of the finishing touch on the car for the "Aggressive" look. The car has a loud exaughst, so I needed more look with the wide flares. Also, before I put the scoop on, I talked with Heeltoe914, who did my conversion, and he told me that it would also be helpful for air to escape, and it is !!!!! When I turn on the fan switch, I can feel the air being pushed out the back of the scoop when I put my hand there. If you like the look, I would suggest doing it , because it only helps with the hot air being pushed out !! Some guys fiberglass their scoops on, etc., but I didn't have time for all that, and just wanted something simple that I could change if I wanted to, but I think I will keep this one, look how the front end of it is the exact shape of the front of the hood ! And it is just the rite size !! I also have the wheel whele area cut out like everyone else.Here is a picture. Notice the hole is cut in FRONT of the gas tank firewall, yet, the scoop back goes all the way to the top of the hood.
carreraguy
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

That would be great - I want to see how you dealt with the wire mesh on the back side !

TE
[/quote]

Thom:
Here's a couple pics of the driver's left inside fender area; sorry it took so long. If you need more, PM me.
Later,
Tom

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
rascobo
Sorry to get off topic, but....

WTF.gif Eye's jus gots to no! What's in the tank behind the radiator? My second cousin(by both blood & marriage sheeplove.gif) Earl in South Carolina had one in his rig, but got rid of it when He was released. slap.gif

Click to view attachment
tronporsche
Bass, how low can you go !!!!!! Here is another one for ya !!Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment Got a t.v. comin' in too !!!! It is a poor mans version of "pimp my ride" av-943.gif
dakotaewing
[/quote]
Thom:
Here's a couple pics of the driver's left inside fender area; sorry it took so long. If you need more, PM me.
Later,
Tom

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
[/quote]

What material did you make the "frame" from?
And, how did you get it cut???
pffft
an other
Click to view attachment
drive-ability
IPB Image
JRust
Okay I finished my bumper. Didn't get my valance on yet. IT being fiberglass of course not everything lines up quite right. So I have a little work to do before it will fit. I am pleased with the look. It is a little more subtle with everything being black. What do you think? idea.gif
computers4kids
Looks good Jamie...it does look familar though. idea.gif Remember, the secret dies with us. laugh.gif
JRust
QUOTE(computers4kids @ Oct 12 2008, 03:13 PM) *

Looks good Jamie...it does look familar though. idea.gif Remember, the secret dies with us. laugh.gif

I must admit I am pleased with the look. Be much better when I get my front valance on. Also plan on repainting it black. It isn't finished either. It is actually just zip tied in place using my nofog light grills. Kinda cheesy but noone noticed on the falling leaf tour. It will do for now though. Figure to put it back on stands at the end of the month anyway. Planning on pulling the engine & tranny to shift it all back. Also need to get my remote water pump coming. Yeah winter projects poke.gif
roadster fan
It looks great Jamie! I like the way it just kinda blends in, kinda stealthy. Well, I guess until they hear it! biggrin.gif

Jim
computers4kids
No question after hearing Jamie's car, you know "it aint packing a 4 banger."

Oh, how sweet the sound of 300 hp purring to life for the first time...my little kitten.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.