Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Mendeola is a go!, it's here!! pix included now
byndbad914
post Sep 24 2008, 03:42 PM
Post #1

shoehorn and some butter - it fits

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,463
Region Association: None

Been a lot of phone calls, etc and in fact I UPS'd my starter to them to verify fitment. My big issue was how in the hell I am going to mount a starter on the transaxle that doesn't hang way below the car (an inverted VW/Porsche bellhousing puts the starter at 6 o'clock on my car and means I would be dragging the solenoid on the ground).

Then they had this puppy left in stock - apparently they only made a couple of them (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool_shades.gif) just moves the starter to the other side of what I have.

Attached Image

sssooooo, the sequential dog geared monster transaxle just might be a go for me!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif) Laid under the car last night to make sure it looks like it will work, and this thing might be "money"! He is going to take some pix with my starter installed today as a final verification - if it all looks good then "it's on".

My current setup... notice starter should just move to the drivers side but remain parallel to ground

Attached Image

I'm sorta gloating I know... but I have literally talked to them for 4 yrs now on and off waiting for them to get an LSD setup that I liked, etc etc and this trans apparently is using the same LSD style as the Vipers and so forth.

Don't even ask price... OMFG am I gonna pay for this one for awhile (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon8.gif) but will look like this smiley the whole time I am driving it (notice only pulls shifter in one direction, no mo' H crap) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/MDB2.gif)

And got my new Excellence last night - the same day I got the pic above - and page 161 = Going Sequential (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) It's a sign from God hhahaha (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Bruce Hinds
post Sep 24 2008, 04:09 PM
Post #2

V-8 madness

Member No.: 7,391
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Wow, I want one....
B
+Quote Post
TravisNeff
post Sep 24 2008, 05:26 PM
Post #3

914 Guru

Member No.: 447
Region Association: Southwest Region

Ya-es...
+Quote Post
SGB
post Sep 24 2008, 06:58 PM
Post #4

just visiting

Member No.: 404
Region Association: South East States

ZOOWZER!!
+Quote Post
wbergtho
post Sep 24 2008, 08:06 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 623

I know I'm not supposed to ask about cost...but I'm going to anyways. How much is it? My guess...$16,500 (And yes, OMFG) I need one on my car. The 930 can handle some TQ & HP...but it won't shift fast like that bad boy!
+Quote Post
championgt1
post Sep 24 2008, 08:15 PM
Post #6

Don't embarrass me Filmore!

Member No.: 7,420

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/shocked[1].gif)
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Sep 24 2008, 08:15 PM
Post #7

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif)
+Quote Post
byndbad914
post Sep 24 2008, 10:31 PM
Post #8

Thanks for all the kind words and smileys! I too have been drooling over this puppy for quite awhile now so the fact it looks to be a reality I am feeling like partying
QUOTE(wbergtho @ Sep 24 2008, 06:06 PM) *

I know I'm not supposed to ask about cost...but I'm going to anyways. How much is it? My guess...$16,500 (And yes, OMFG) I need one on my car. The 930 can handle some TQ & HP...but it won't shift fast like that bad boy!

It's all good... as it stands $14.1K with the special bellhousing. There is a shim that needs to go in there (it's an LSx bell hint hint nudge nudge) and the tech thought he didn't quote me with it but I am sure it was $500 for the bell and $200 for the shim.

Cost break-down (it's basically on their website so no secret) = 12.4K for the 4spd, 1K for the LSD upgrade, $500 bell and $200 shim. Today he told me the $14.1K didn't include the shim but I checked my notes. The clutch setup will be a dual disk 8" package (none of my 930 stuff will work unfortunately) is $750 with flywheel. So figure all in with shipping $15K.

To do what I wanted to do to my 930 was going to put me back around $10K total including what I have in it so for so I figure I can sell it to get some back and be out a few grand to upgrade to a sequential setup.

You and I both know/experienced the 930 is a perfect trans for a healthy V8 street car with some track use, but since i really just race this thing now it is better for me to go full dog gear, low gear ratio'd setup as I don't care about low rpm highway driving (and gear sets are only $200 for the Mendy). In fact, I am staying 4spd and not wasting time with the 5spd - we both make so much torque across a broad rpm band there is no reason to waste time shifting extra gears (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

You need a back up clutch assy? I know of one essentially new that will be available soon with only 10-12 track days on it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post
wbergtho
post Sep 24 2008, 11:26 PM
Post #9

You need a back up clutch assy? I know of one essentially new that will be available soon with only 10-12 track days on it

--------------------

What exactly is it. I'm seriously considering (about 98% sure) hooking up a 100-150 shot of nitrous on my LS6. I'd like to see what it feels like to have 650-700+ HP. That said, I will need something a bit beefier than my current Kennedy Stage 1 PP. Is your's a stage 2 Kennedy? How much might you want? What type of disc are you running?

I understand the need to go sequential with full dog gears. I wouldn't even mind that in my street car...despite the high gear noise eminating everywhere.

Thanks,

Bill
+Quote Post
brant
post Sep 24 2008, 11:30 PM
Post #10

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

AJRS is building race 915's with a removeable 1st gear and handling up to 650HP on the race track......

+Quote Post
byndbad914
post Sep 25 2008, 01:56 AM
Post #11

Bill - I'll PM you with specifics.

Brant - any 915 that will withstand high V8 torque is going to have serious coin in it... because I don't have the space limitations a 911 would or a 914 (tho' this Mendy is only 1/2" longer than my 930 with second gear engaged so I think it'll fit in a 914) I would run the Mendy or the 930 before I would run a 915. It would be okay here at altitude cuz I am way down on power, but at sea level the car was fricken apeshit to drive (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) and I can't imagine a 915 holding up to it.

A guy on the bird board with a hot -6 just broke his 915 again a month or so ago and he has pretty much every hot rod part in it he could get and apparently just dumped a chunk in the end all be all upgrades and is hoping it holds together. I bet he has more in that 915 than I would in a full race 930 box and possibly in the neighborhood of the Mendy.

Hopefully I make it down to see the race this weekend - you still going to Pueblo??
+Quote Post
wbergtho
post Sep 25 2008, 08:28 AM
Post #12

I can't imagine a 915 holding up to it.

I blew one up quite easily w/ 420 HP & 390 LBS TQ on my old set up.
+Quote Post
monkeyboy
post Sep 25 2008, 09:12 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 9,147

Well that Mendy should be the unbreakable link people are looking for.

After riding in a twin turbo V8 sand rail with 15 inch wide paddles, I am not sure what it would take to break it, but I know the sand drags, jumping, and wheelies didn't do it. That was in a big four seat rail too.

I guess the only suggestion I could make would be to make sure you lift off the throttle when jumping your 914 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
brant
post Sep 25 2008, 12:19 PM
Post #14

914 Wizard

your right
the full race modified/cooled/everything
with diff and active first gear
is running big bucks... 15K
but the fact is they truly are able to hold up to 650hp

I'll be racing in pueblo
greg is likely going
and if you want to see old technology running good lap times with narrow street tires (no slicks)
come on down

I think the 3.0 911's with old technology, unit bodies, and narrow wheels will be in the low 1:40's... probably 250hp

brant
+Quote Post
andys
post Sep 25 2008, 12:30 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 721

Tim,

Who makes the 8" dual disc clutch you plan on using? KEP?

Andys
+Quote Post
byndbad914
post Sep 25 2008, 03:55 PM
Post #16

monkeyboy - I did have The Baja Shop build my car and he assured me I was so overkill on the tubing I could jump it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) ....... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) They are brick shithouse trannies - AJ installs 15-20 per year in various sand cars and says they are very reliable. Easy to rebuild too should that be necessary.

Brant - I figured $15K if it holds 650HP as I think that is what the guy on the bird board had in his. So that is just over the 4spd LSD Mendy at this point. Break-even money if you went with a 5spd Mendy to match gear for gear.

The two fastest "big bore" cars are tail draggers that run 1:41s and 1:43s so yeah, those guys are fast! Not that skinny of tires on them tho' (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) but they do haul.

Andys - right on, Kennedy makes the clutches for just about anything off-road in SoCal. I think Tilton has a clutch option also, but the flywheel is certainly a Kennedy deal. Already talked to them and will go either stg 2 or 3 (will have less pedal pressure with two disks than the single disk stg 1 in the 930 box).
+Quote Post
brant
post Sep 25 2008, 04:06 PM
Post #17

914 Wizard

QUOTE(byndbad914 @ Sep 25 2008, 03:55 PM) *

The two fastest "big bore" cars are tail draggers that run 1:41s and 1:43s so yeah, those guys are fast! Not that skinny of tires on them tho' (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) but they do haul.

ok
not skinny
but relatively skinny
probably 295's or so
they are limited in rim width to something pretty manageable
I'd have to look but I'm guessing 9's maybe 10's
and they run D.O.T. hoosiers

but the PCA cars are even faster
PCA allows their cars to tie the roll cage into the suspension points
(vintage has a lot of restrictive rules, no slicks, no fuel injection, no suspension bracing)

the PCA 914's with fiberglass and slicks run all of that and more
I know the 2.2/6 teeners in PCA that were AJRS built were also running in the 1:41 range but with only 220-ish hp.

brant
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Sep 25 2008, 04:51 PM
Post #18

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Ooooooo, thats dirty (IMG:style_emoticons/default/jerkit.gif)
+Quote Post
byndbad914
post Sep 25 2008, 05:05 PM
Post #19

I hear you Brant... Dave Harris told me the other day he ran a 1:38 down there so I need to get my shit together apparently. It doesn't surprise me at all a well setup car with less HP can run 1:41s after running that 1:43.8.

Making assumptions about HP/wt ratios of the 914s you are talking about I am probably good for 20 mph more at the end of the stretch than they are... that should be worth about 1 easy if not 2 seconds averaging over the 2.2 miles.

And I think that narrower tires may be better - I have a hard time getting heat in the 10s and 11s I have on mine even with the extra weight v. a typical stripped down -6 teener. If those 911 guys have 295s on the rear, that is probably just about right actually. I like the Ho DOT-Rs, they just don't make the size I run now (too big in diameter) but I felt they stuck like glue when I ran 15x8s and 15x10s before and didn't really long for slicks by any means. I got really good heat in the 275 rears I had before but didn't like the large overall diameter.

I need to find about 5 seconds in my car. I figure a couple seconds is still setup - I was plowing pretty bad in the turns when I ran the 1:43.8. If I can just pick up one mph in every turn that should get me a second right there. I take T10, even after the repaving, way off throttle. I just don't trust that section and don't want to wall the car, but I can guarantee if I went for it I could pick up at least 10mph there - that would average out to a second on the track. So that is three seconds. I ran out of gear before I even got to the esses out of T8, but the 930 is such a bastard to shift from 2nd to 3rd and back to 2nd I just held speed and drove through the esses. That is definitely adding time... maybe a second but not quite.

I can run just under 100 mph in 2nd and was redlined before entering the esses, with the 25.3" diam tires I would redline at 105mph entering the esses, so I bet I could run up to 110 before T9 with a better trans.

And then I just have to get comfortable with the car which requires getting a setup somewhat nailed down. I haven't gone to that track with the same setup twice in a row, let alone a few times to get consistency and confidence. The track is just so crappy I have been backing down my setup in increments, and getting a little better each time. I just changed the front springs yet again down 100 lbs/in this time since I was plowing so bad with minimum front bar last time after softening the rear up trying to get over the whoopty doos that track is littered with.

When I find the neutral with slight throttle oversteer setup, I should certainly pick up time. I was certainly not driving the car on the ragged edge with the understeer as stated before.

'Course, finding 5 seconds on a 2.2-mile road course isn't exactly easy! If I ran 1:40 comfortably I would be stoked to be honest. If I am on the ragged edge to do that, no so stoked. I really think this trans thing is going to make a big difference in just having something geared for the track v. the hwy, easier to shift with the dogs v. synchros, etc. If I found 2 seconds in a trans swap and 2 seconds in setup and driving comfort to run in the 39s I would be (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drunk.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Sep 25 2008, 05:11 PM
Post #20

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105

Good freekenness! This thing sounds like a monster. Got another picture of the car as a whole?
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th May 2024 - 02:15 PM