Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rover 3.5 V-8 Conversion?, All-aluminum V-8, 200 easy HP...
Cheapsnake
post Oct 2 2008, 09:27 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,341

I've got a Rover 3.5L all aluminum V-8 (Buick 215) sitting here that I think is made to order for a 914 conversion. Under 300 lbs fully dressed, compact, an easy 200HP with minimal mods (300 if you need it) and plenty of torque. I think this engine makes more sense than the Renegade SBC conversion. Actually, I'd probably use a lot of the Renegade kit, except for the obvious stuff. My biggest concern is finding a bellhousing.

I've got this same engine in my TR8 and it really is a sweet engine with an exhaust bark that is quite unique but unmistakably V-8. I'm going to look at a 914 roller tomorrow (praying for minimal rust) with this conversion in mind. Anybody know if this has been done before? Any thoughts are welcome.

Tom
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
jimkelly
post Oct 2 2008, 09:36 AM
Post #2

Delaware USA

Member No.: 2,460
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

since renegade makes both a sbc and suby kit - making either swap a weekend project (48 straight hours : )) if you got some buddies who are handy with tools : )

since gas is $3.50 or so a gal - the obvious choice is subaru - 30mpg and low emissions - this is the hands down best choice currently.

ideally you will also be installing a set of eric shea calipers and a refurbished dr evil trans while you are at it.

with that said - here is a older video of my sbc - and it runs much better now
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9viaGK6NA7M
+Quote Post
Wes V
post Oct 2 2008, 09:38 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 8,211

Been done.

Just contact KEP for the engine to transmission adapters you need.

The only thing I would wonder about if there are any speed sensors required for the fuel injection system, that would normally be mounted on the original (Rover) transmission.

Wes
+Quote Post
DBCooper
post Oct 2 2008, 09:45 AM
Post #4

14's in the 13's with ATTITUDE

Member No.: 2,618
Region Association: Northern California

KEP is Kennedy Engineeered Products, www.kennedyeng.com/ .
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Oct 2 2008, 09:50 AM
Post #5

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

The Rover 3.5 is a decent engine and I thought pretty much the same as the 215's? They do make a decent amount of hop-up parts for them and 300hp isn't out of reach at all. They are light and small. Sort of wondered why more folks haven't shoe horned 3.5's into more 914's before?
+Quote Post
Cheapsnake
post Oct 2 2008, 09:55 AM
Post #6

Jim, at first glance I thought I was looking at your tach winding up but then realized it was the speedo! Not to dis the SBC, they're great engines, but I've got this Rover sitting here and I promised it a home this winter.

Thanks for the lead on KEP, I'll check them out. This is an old school carbed engine so speed sensors won't be an issue.

I'll report back on the 914 after I have a look at it.

Tom
+Quote Post
Cheapsnake
post Oct 2 2008, 12:20 PM
Post #7

QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Oct 2 2008, 07:50 AM) *

The Rover 3.5 is a decent engine and I thought pretty much the same as the 215's? They do make a decent amount of hop-up parts for them and 300hp isn't out of reach at all. They are light and small. Sort of wondered why more folks haven't shoe horned 3.5's into more 914's before?

These engines were really ahead of their time when GM introduced them in '61 in response to gas skyrocketing up to, what? $.50 a gallon? Then, when that gas "crisis" was over they unloaded the design on Rover at a bargain price and they must have built 10's of millions of them. These things were even the platform for a couple of Indy engines.

So yeah, I love these scappy little things and I agree, they make an ideal fit in the 914.

Tom
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Oct 2 2008, 12:26 PM
Post #8

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105

Yup, if you really look into the engines history, there was a lot of R&D done and there is a lot more potential from them.
+Quote Post
tronporsche
post Oct 2 2008, 12:29 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 9,447
Region Association: Central California

I can tell you this much, if the 3800 V-6 is a blast, that 215 oughta do you really well !!! Yes, call kennedy.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Rand
post Oct 2 2008, 12:30 PM
Post #10

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573
Region Association: None

Anybody know if this has been done before?

There are a few board members who have this engine conversion in a 914. One is Bill (porsha916) up in Bellingham WA. Another is Jamie (jrust) in Corvallis OR.
+Quote Post
andys
post Oct 2 2008, 01:03 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 721
Region Association: None

Some years ago, I had ridden in a 914/215 Buick conversion. I thought the car was better balanced than the typical SBC conversion. Lower torque, and decent power made it seemingly a very fun ride rather than a brutal one.

That 215 in '63 made 195HP (four barrel version). 215HP in the Jetfire (Olds) Turbocharged version. Wth modern electronics HP should be even better.

Andys
+Quote Post
Cheapsnake
post Oct 2 2008, 03:10 PM
Post #12

QUOTE(andys @ Oct 2 2008, 11:03 AM) *

Some years ago, I had ridden in a 914/215 Buick conversion. I thought the car was better balanced than the typical SBC conversion. Lower torque, and decent power made it seemingly a very fun ride rather than a brutal one.

That 215 in '63 made 195HP (four barrel version). 215HP in the Jetfire (Olds) Turbocharged version. Wth modern electronics HP should be even better.

Andys

Exactly what I'm thinking. I've got a Cobra replica with 440HP that'll scorch the earth, but 99% of the time all that power just sits there. I'm looking for something that I can put my foot into and have a good time without alerting Homeland Security. I think this is it.

Tom
+Quote Post
Wes V
post Oct 2 2008, 03:17 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 8,211

Another question that you should have answered by somebody that has done it is if you have to "relocate" the water pump in order to make the engine assembly shorter.

Wes
+Quote Post
Phoenix-MN
post Oct 2 2008, 04:29 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 1,590

I belive the buick V8 and V6's use the same water pumps/timing cover. I moved my V6 back 1.5" and there is a lot of room in front of it. If you know the length difference between the two blocks you should be able to tell if there will be enough room. I can take a measurement to night and tell you how much room there is from the water pump to the fiewall.

Paul

Just measured it, I have a little less than 3" between the end of the water pump and the firewall.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
JRust
post Oct 2 2008, 06:53 PM
Post #15

914 Guru

Member No.: 129

I have the buick 215 in my car. It is from 63 so pre-Rover. Definately get Kennedy Engineerings adapter plate. My biggest issue is the guy who did the conversion kept the tranny in the stock location. To do that he had to cut out the firewall (well most of it). The water pumps on these stick forward ALOT. I also had overheating issues due to a crappy Radiator setup. I just bought Renegades setup so that will be fixed in another couple hours of work. My 70 914 with this 215 weighs just under 2200lbs.

I am planning on doing a remote water pump this winter. I am also moving my drivetrain back 1inch & 1/2. This with the remote pump will get me my firewall back. Also taking the water pump off the belt drive will get me some additional HP (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Feel free to shoot me a pm with any questions. If you want some pics do a search & put my name in it. It will show all the stuff I've been doing over the last year. I think it is a good choice for the 914. Since you have the motor & all go for it. If I was doing one from scratch I would lean towards the LS1 setup. Also all aluminum & lighter than the 215. Not to mention stock the LS1 is close to 350hp with tons of torque. I love the feel of my 215 though & it's usable power. Rarely do I lay rubber but man does it fly (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Oct 2 2008, 07:29 PM
Post #16

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372

I always respected the 215. Its a good fit tq/hp wise as stated. If you go LS1 you will need to consider transmission upgrades and that is kind of a deal killer for most. The tq will be too much.
+Quote Post
Cheapsnake
post Oct 2 2008, 07:56 PM
Post #17

You guys have got me salivating now, especially since there's plenty of experience here to fall back on. jrust, I'm a little confused about moving the drivetrain back to clear the firewall. How does this affect the stub axles and CV joints? I'll definetely look up your pics and if this thing goes through, i'll be calling on your experience for some advice.

Tom

btw, those are some nice looking installs guys
+Quote Post
tronporsche
post Oct 2 2008, 08:10 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 9,447
Region Association: Central California

I am not sure how close in comparison the engines are size and build wise, but you can get in touch with Heeltoe914, he did my conversion.
+Quote Post
JRust
post Oct 2 2008, 08:33 PM
Post #19

914 Guru

Member No.: 129

QUOTE(Cheapsnake @ Oct 2 2008, 06:56 PM) *

You guys have got me salivating now, especially since there's plenty of experience here to fall back on. jrust, I'm a little confused about moving the drivetrain back to clear the firewall. How does this affect the stub axles and CV joints? I'll definetely look up your pics and if this thing goes through, i'll be calling on your experience for some advice.

Tom

btw, those are some nice looking installs guys

All of renegades kit's move the tranny back an inch & a half. They also drop it 3/4 of an inch. Not a problem for the cv axles. The stock water pump would still need a cutout as it sticks forward so much. Once you figure in the tranny adapter plate adds 3/4 of an inch or more. Along with the custom flywheel (again Kennedy engineering). I am not sure what year Rover motor but they did make some improvements on the water pump. They do make a shortie pump that is still mechanical. Check out Barry's 215 shortie pump http://www.britishv8.org/Articles/Shortie-Water-Pump.htm
There is alot of 215 info on this site worth checking out.
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Oct 2 2008, 08:55 PM
Post #20

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372

Do you need to use a cut down pulley with that water pump? That is pretty cool.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th May 2024 - 06:59 PM