Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rover 3.5 V-8 Conversion?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cheapsnake
I've got a Rover 3.5L all aluminum V-8 (Buick 215) sitting here that I think is made to order for a 914 conversion. Under 300 lbs fully dressed, compact, an easy 200HP with minimal mods (300 if you need it) and plenty of torque. I think this engine makes more sense than the Renegade SBC conversion. Actually, I'd probably use a lot of the Renegade kit, except for the obvious stuff. My biggest concern is finding a bellhousing.

I've got this same engine in my TR8 and it really is a sweet engine with an exhaust bark that is quite unique but unmistakably V-8. I'm going to look at a 914 roller tomorrow (praying for minimal rust) with this conversion in mind. Anybody know if this has been done before? Any thoughts are welcome.

Tom
jimkelly
since renegade makes both a sbc and suby kit - making either swap a weekend project (48 straight hours : )) if you got some buddies who are handy with tools : )

since gas is $3.50 or so a gal - the obvious choice is subaru - 30mpg and low emissions - this is the hands down best choice currently.

ideally you will also be installing a set of eric shea calipers and a refurbished dr evil trans while you are at it.

with that said - here is a older video of my sbc - and it runs much better now
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9viaGK6NA7M
Wes V
Been done.

Just contact KEP for the engine to transmission adapters you need.

The only thing I would wonder about if there are any speed sensors required for the fuel injection system, that would normally be mounted on the original (Rover) transmission.

Wes
DBCooper
KEP is Kennedy Engineeered Products, www.kennedyeng.com/ .
Root_Werks
The Rover 3.5 is a decent engine and I thought pretty much the same as the 215's? They do make a decent amount of hop-up parts for them and 300hp isn't out of reach at all. They are light and small. Sort of wondered why more folks haven't shoe horned 3.5's into more 914's before?
Cheapsnake
Jim, at first glance I thought I was looking at your tach winding up but then realized it was the speedo! Not to dis the SBC, they're great engines, but I've got this Rover sitting here and I promised it a home this winter.

Thanks for the lead on KEP, I'll check them out. This is an old school carbed engine so speed sensors won't be an issue.

I'll report back on the 914 after I have a look at it.

Tom
Cheapsnake
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Oct 2 2008, 07:50 AM) *

The Rover 3.5 is a decent engine and I thought pretty much the same as the 215's? They do make a decent amount of hop-up parts for them and 300hp isn't out of reach at all. They are light and small. Sort of wondered why more folks haven't shoe horned 3.5's into more 914's before?

These engines were really ahead of their time when GM introduced them in '61 in response to gas skyrocketing up to, what? $.50 a gallon? Then, when that gas "crisis" was over they unloaded the design on Rover at a bargain price and they must have built 10's of millions of them. These things were even the platform for a couple of Indy engines.

So yeah, I love these scappy little things and I agree, they make an ideal fit in the 914.

Tom
Root_Werks
Yup, if you really look into the engines history, there was a lot of R&D done and there is a lot more potential from them.
tronporsche
I can tell you this much, if the 3800 V-6 is a blast, that 215 oughta do you really well !!! Yes, call kennedy.
Rand
Anybody know if this has been done before?

There are a few board members who have this engine conversion in a 914. One is Bill (porsha916) up in Bellingham WA. Another is Jamie (jrust) in Corvallis OR.
andys
Some years ago, I had ridden in a 914/215 Buick conversion. I thought the car was better balanced than the typical SBC conversion. Lower torque, and decent power made it seemingly a very fun ride rather than a brutal one.

That 215 in '63 made 195HP (four barrel version). 215HP in the Jetfire (Olds) Turbocharged version. Wth modern electronics HP should be even better.

Andys
Cheapsnake
QUOTE(andys @ Oct 2 2008, 11:03 AM) *

Some years ago, I had ridden in a 914/215 Buick conversion. I thought the car was better balanced than the typical SBC conversion. Lower torque, and decent power made it seemingly a very fun ride rather than a brutal one.

That 215 in '63 made 195HP (four barrel version). 215HP in the Jetfire (Olds) Turbocharged version. Wth modern electronics HP should be even better.

Andys

Exactly what I'm thinking. I've got a Cobra replica with 440HP that'll scorch the earth, but 99% of the time all that power just sits there. I'm looking for something that I can put my foot into and have a good time without alerting Homeland Security. I think this is it.

Tom
Wes V
Another question that you should have answered by somebody that has done it is if you have to "relocate" the water pump in order to make the engine assembly shorter.

Wes
Phoenix-MN
I belive the buick V8 and V6's use the same water pumps/timing cover. I moved my V6 back 1.5" and there is a lot of room in front of it. If you know the length difference between the two blocks you should be able to tell if there will be enough room. I can take a measurement to night and tell you how much room there is from the water pump to the fiewall.

Paul

Just measured it, I have a little less than 3" between the end of the water pump and the firewall.

Click to view attachment
JRust
I have the buick 215 in my car. It is from 63 so pre-Rover. Definately get Kennedy Engineerings adapter plate. My biggest issue is the guy who did the conversion kept the tranny in the stock location. To do that he had to cut out the firewall (well most of it). The water pumps on these stick forward ALOT. I also had overheating issues due to a crappy Radiator setup. I just bought Renegades setup so that will be fixed in another couple hours of work. My 70 914 with this 215 weighs just under 2200lbs.

I am planning on doing a remote water pump this winter. I am also moving my drivetrain back 1inch & 1/2. This with the remote pump will get me my firewall back. Also taking the water pump off the belt drive will get me some additional HP biggrin.gif

Feel free to shoot me a pm with any questions. If you want some pics do a search & put my name in it. It will show all the stuff I've been doing over the last year. I think it is a good choice for the 914. Since you have the motor & all go for it. If I was doing one from scratch I would lean towards the LS1 setup. Also all aluminum & lighter than the 215. Not to mention stock the LS1 is close to 350hp with tons of torque. I love the feel of my 215 though & it's usable power. Rarely do I lay rubber but man does it fly driving.gif
Dr Evil
I always respected the 215. Its a good fit tq/hp wise as stated. If you go LS1 you will need to consider transmission upgrades and that is kind of a deal killer for most. The tq will be too much.
Cheapsnake
You guys have got me salivating now, especially since there's plenty of experience here to fall back on. jrust, I'm a little confused about moving the drivetrain back to clear the firewall. How does this affect the stub axles and CV joints? I'll definetely look up your pics and if this thing goes through, i'll be calling on your experience for some advice.

Tom

btw, those are some nice looking installs guys
tronporsche
I am not sure how close in comparison the engines are size and build wise, but you can get in touch with Heeltoe914, he did my conversion.
JRust
QUOTE(Cheapsnake @ Oct 2 2008, 06:56 PM) *

You guys have got me salivating now, especially since there's plenty of experience here to fall back on. jrust, I'm a little confused about moving the drivetrain back to clear the firewall. How does this affect the stub axles and CV joints? I'll definetely look up your pics and if this thing goes through, i'll be calling on your experience for some advice.

Tom

btw, those are some nice looking installs guys

All of renegades kit's move the tranny back an inch & a half. They also drop it 3/4 of an inch. Not a problem for the cv axles. The stock water pump would still need a cutout as it sticks forward so much. Once you figure in the tranny adapter plate adds 3/4 of an inch or more. Along with the custom flywheel (again Kennedy engineering). I am not sure what year Rover motor but they did make some improvements on the water pump. They do make a shortie pump that is still mechanical. Check out Barry's 215 shortie pump http://www.britishv8.org/Articles/Shortie-Water-Pump.htm
There is alot of 215 info on this site worth checking out.
Dr Evil
Do you need to use a cut down pulley with that water pump? That is pretty cool.
JRust
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Oct 2 2008, 07:55 PM) *

Do you need to use a cut down pulley with that water pump? That is pretty cool.

I think the pulley sits in the same spot. I plan on changin my pulley setup some. It does come into the firewall just a bit at the bottom. Moving the tranny back will help with that. Once I add the remote pump I will change the pulley to a little closer to the engine & set the alternator back a bit too. The pulley on it now is a double with the belt sitting on the outer one. That will all change this winter
LarryR
DUDE!

Today is your day. I had just seen the bell housing adaptor on ebay before coming to this site:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VW-Porsche-...emZ260295074869

No affiliation just thought I would point you at it since you were thinking about it already.

Larry beerchug.gif
rick 918-S
If you change your mind, I am looking for a Rover V8 for my 1954 Austin Healey 100-4. driving.gif
michaelt55
I also have a 914 with the 215 Buick V8. I have the specs for my engine if you need them..makes great HP/torque, balanced, I would think using this setup makes all the sense in the world...

Michael
Cheapsnake
Well, I'm off to a conference and then to check the 914 out afterwards. I'll let you know what I find, possibly with pics. It'll be late tonight.

Tom
Root_Werks
idea.gif Hmm, what to do with this 914 I just got..... idea.gif
tronporsche
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Oct 3 2008, 06:23 AM) *

idea.gif Hmm, what to do with this 914 I just got..... idea.gif
.....YES........DO IT !!!!!!!!!!!
Cheapsnake
Alas, this car does not appear to be in my future. Longitudinals and floor pan were definitely needing replacement, but salvageable and I was OK with that. However, the body had random spots of rust-through in places you don't normally see rust. This concerned me since it raised the question of what else is there that I'm not seeing.

I'm going to have to pass on this one, but I'm more pumped than ever to find one and get this project going.

Tom

Jrust, that Cobra in your avatar looks familiar. I think I've got it's brother.
Cheapsnake
QUOTE(LarryR @ Oct 2 2008, 09:20 PM) *

DUDE!

Today is your day. I had just seen the bell housing adaptor on ebay before coming to this site:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VW-Porsche-...emZ260295074869

No affiliation just thought I would point you at it since you were thinking about it already.

Thanks Larry, I think I've got to score this thing, too good to pass up.

Larry beerchug.gif

JRust
QUOTE(Cheapsnake @ Oct 3 2008, 06:59 PM) *

Alas, this car does not appear to be in my future. Longitudinals and floor pan were definitely needing replacement, but salvageable and I was OK with that. However, the body had random spots of rust-through in places you don't normally see rust. This concerned me since it raised the question of what else is there that I'm not seeing.

I'm going to have to pass on this one, but I'm more pumped than ever to find one and get this project going.

Tom

I would consider buying a Cali car & shipping it. Going to be tough to find a low rust car there. Definately worth the wait & price to get a solid core car with little rust.

The Cobra was a buddy I sold a 914 too for an electric conversion. I went over to help him pull my engine out of the 914. This happened to be in the garage when I got there. I said you are going to have to take me for a ride in that. He says as soon as we are done you can drive it aktion035.gif . He has sold it since
Cheapsnake
QUOTE(JRust @ Oct 4 2008, 09:53 AM) *

QUOTE(Cheapsnake @ Oct 3 2008, 06:59 PM) *

Tom

The Cobra was a buddy I sold a 914 too for an electric conversion. I went over to help him pull my engine out of the 914. This happened to be in the garage when I got there. I said you are going to have to take me for a ride in that. He says as soon as we are done you can drive it aktion035.gif . He has sold it since

I would consider buying a Cali car & shipping it. Going to be tough to find a low rust car there. Definately worth the wait & price to get a solid core car with little rust.

You're probably rtight about the Cali car but I bought one 914 on ebay, sight unseen and got burned so I'm real skittish about doing it again. Besides, I need to bond with the car before I own it. wink.gif There's couple around here I'm going to check out whenever I can find the time so keeping my fingers crossed.

Tom
BIGKAT_83
I have a 914 west coast low rust car already done with V8 conversion with bad engine, 5 lug, nice interior, fluidyne aluminum radiator spal fans, tach and instruments for V8 and will be in WI. in Jan for work. Could deliver for the extra gas money. If your interested PM me.

Bob
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.