Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V « < 3 4 5  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> A different way to hook up 911 e-brakes, Another way to do the 911 parkbrake -merged threads
charliew
post Jan 5 2009, 11:34 AM
Post #81

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,958

I bought some 911 rear brakes and aluminum arms on samba and ebay. You probably need to know which years you want though. The two sets I have I think are 74 911 and 84+ maybe 944?, thats what I marked on them when they were sold to me. The 74 are straight pull and the 84 are angle pull. The straight pull come out the cavity for the stub axle and the angle pull comes out a angled port in the aluminum arm. The later arms are for a wider wheel. It seems from what everybody has contributed that the deal is to use the 911 backing plate with the notched brake shoes and the 944 spreader or the straight spreader and a neat two piece bellcrank like the one already designed. It won't be long and this could be a kit for the guys that don't fab.

On looking back at wes's thread on the cable/backing plate install, which is GREAT I wonder if you could just use the inner 1/2 of the original 911 rivet style spreader and make it pull only with a simple bellcrank and a rod to the bellcrank and a rod to the stock 914 cable? That way the replacement parts would mostly be early all 911. It sorta looks like the backing plate could be rotated 180 and put the cable and spreader on top maybe not.

I found this on the net. The spreader might be called a expanding lock, they also have a support and shoes but I will probably just have mine relined. http://www.bavauto.com/se1.asp?dept_id=168 The angled spreader is called a expanding lock, it's part # 34411163709 it's down the parts list aways.

I just called Larry at 20th st in AZ. and told him I wanted early 911 backing plates off of the steel arms and 84 944 expanding lock's and adjusters and even shoes if he has them and he said he didn't have any 924 rear brake parts at the moment but he will call me when he gets them. A guestimate was very reasonable. http://www.20thstreetauto.com/porsche/porscheparts.htm#924
He seemed to have a knowledge of the application we are working on. Seems like a good place to get the small stuff so I won't need to rob the complete arms I have.

Added 01/06/09
Ok the guys at 20th st called back. Larry and Mathew. I got early 911 (68?) backing plates off of steel arms, 84/944 shoes, and all attaching hardware with the angled expanders for 140.00 + shipping. That is a little expensive for some but porsches are a little hard to come by in Crawford. At least the part chasing is done for this deal. If you mention my name they know what you are doing. Charlie Wittmer

01/07/09 found another good place to get the parts, it's planetporsche the guys name is Bill Martin They have lots of porsche stuff I originally found them on ebay He had some new shoes and a good 944 cable that I may use with a 944 brake handle. I kinda want the emer.handle in the center.

It looks like with a little imagination a bolt on support could be fabbed up and the support could be a drill and tap the arm and mount the support deal for the ones that don't fab.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Steve
post Feb 21 2009, 11:13 PM
Post #82

914 Guru

Member No.: 822
Region Association: Southern California

I bought these parts from Parts Heaven. They do not look right but there is no part number on the brake shoes. Are these the correct brake shoes? As you can see in the picture the holes do not line up and they are hitting the brake shield bolt hole.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Steve
post Feb 21 2009, 11:14 PM
Post #83

914 Guru

Here's the one with the bolt holes.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
craig downs
post Feb 22 2009, 01:42 AM
Post #84

Member No.: 5,189

You happen to get a later year e-bake assembly that had the trailing arms with a wider bolt spread. All you have to do is file or grind the bolt hole to match your trailing arms. I got the same one as you have and had to do this. As far as the brake shield tab goes you have to cut them off.
+Quote Post
jaxdream
post Feb 22 2009, 11:34 AM
Post #85

Member No.: 9,270
Region Association: South East States

Hi guys , I too have been wanting a 911 ebrake setup similar to what is going on here .I have been studing all the threads on the forum and figured that there was a "different " way to do e-brakes , Craig is on the same path that I come up with including the little box that the spreader works in and rchard is right about the raised portion of the backing part of the box. This setup will work on the angled pull similar to tha 924 , taking the 90 bend out of the eqation and moving the cables closer to the arm for protection, I haven't posted any of my workings yet as they are in my parts colection , but have spent a few hours studing the parts and their operations , personnaly this IS the most effective setup I've seen yet and should prove to be an asset to guys wanting a reliable e-brake setup . I got most all of the parts mention here off of the e-place , was just patient and got most for very cheap , 928 rear hubs spindles e-brake,shoes spreaders , partial cables $50 something delivered!! Isee welding an shoe stop to the arm similar to the E-30 part with a tube perhaps that would give the angle of the 924 , either with cable if possible or a rod of sorts , but like Craig has mentioned it has to have the springs on it for return of the spreader . I like this thread !!!!!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

Jaxdream
+Quote Post
PRS914-6
post Feb 22 2009, 12:06 PM
Post #86

Excellence Magazine Project 914 3.6

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 6,031
Region Association: None

Actually, if you have good cables the two springs in the backing plate assembly and the one in the cab are plenty to easily retract the shoes and cables. However it would not be difficult to install a coil spring over the cable like most American cars
Attached Image
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Feb 22 2009, 12:19 PM
Post #87

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419
Region Association: None

I think I still have a complete 86 944 rear suspension if you guys want/need any pics of the original configuration. Not sure if at this point ti would help or not (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
charliew
post Feb 22 2009, 01:24 PM
Post #88

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,958

The later angle pull spreaders are to me the best solution. You can grind the little notches in the early shoes if thats what you have. You might need to remove the center pull or push studs off of the early shoes though.
+Quote Post
Steve
post Feb 23 2009, 09:03 AM
Post #89

914 Guru

QUOTE(craig downs @ Feb 21 2009, 11:42 PM) *

You happen to get a later year e-bake assembly that had the trailing arms with a wider bolt spread. All you have to do is file or grind the bolt hole to match your trailing arms. I got the same one as you have and had to do this. As far as the brake shield tab goes you have to cut them off.

Thanks Craig for the reasurance. I just wanted to make sure before I start grinding away at the thing.

-Steve
+Quote Post
Steve
post Jul 29 2009, 06:40 PM
Post #90

914 Guru

Attached ImageI finally put mine together and tested it out at Willow Springs short track. I am running Boxster rear brakes and 944 turbo front brakes. I ended up copying pretty much everyone. Thanks again to Wes for welding up the stop plates on my trailing arm. For the least amount of hassle I ended up using 914 clutch cables, cut to length and stock 914 emergency brake outer sheathing.
+Quote Post
Steve
post Jul 29 2009, 06:45 PM
Post #91

914 Guru

Attached ImageHere's a picture of the fabbed up cable. You can see in the picture that i used the stock 914 outer sheathing and a piece of the 914 clutch cable outer sheathing. I used a 2" piece of 5/8th OD copper pipe to tie them together. I notched the copper pipe to support the stock C clip on the 914 E. brake cable. I pretty much copied Clay, but used a piece of the clutch cable sheath versus bending a piece of conduit. Pro's and con's on all the techniques, but mine was the least amount of hassle for me and my lack of welding and fabrication skills!!
+Quote Post
Steve
post Jul 29 2009, 07:14 PM
Post #92

914 Guru

Here's another picture of the copper pipe before I covered it with shrink wrap.
Attached Image
+Quote Post

5 Pages V « < 3 4 5
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th May 2024 - 01:27 PM