Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

53 Pages V « < 38 39 40 41 42 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> My Official Project thread, Everything (and more) you never-wanted to know about carpeting
RiqueMar
post Aug 22 2019, 11:53 PM
Post #781

Enrique Allen Mar

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,478
Region Association: Southern California

The wiring continues, and I feel a bit better about it today. Fuel pump, ECU, relays seem to now be isolated and working, thanks to Dad.

As he was running different combinations, and trying to decode what was done to the wiring for the oil-cooler and fuel pump (it's a mix of multi-colored and spliced wires, romex, and Home Depot connectors), I parked in the Drivers seat for a couple of hours to try to see if I could work my way through the rats-nest.

Some before and after photos, as well as progress on component wiring...

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
RiqueMar
post Aug 22 2019, 11:55 PM
Post #782

Enrique Allen Mar

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
RiqueMar
post Aug 24 2019, 01:38 PM
Post #783

Enrique Allen Mar

Progress!

Trying to organize this so it makes sense, and then resemble a more stock-looking harness afterward.

Side-note: I recovered a few rubber pieces from the 75’ 914. Can anyone recommend a good method for cleaning and refurbishing? I’m thinking warm water with a bit of Simple Green, then a slow-dry, and maybe some ‘back to black’ to finish it off.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Chi-town
post Aug 24 2019, 02:49 PM
Post #784

Member No.: 22,446

Simple green usually leaves a white residue.

Look at Griot's garage, their rubber cleaner works decently
+Quote Post
RiqueMar
post Aug 24 2019, 11:21 PM
Post #785

Enrique Allen Mar

QUOTE(Chi-town @ Aug 24 2019, 01:49 PM) *

Simple green usually leaves a white residue.

Look at Griot's garage, their rubber cleaner works decently

Thanks for the heads up!
+Quote Post
RiqueMar
post Aug 24 2019, 11:41 PM
Post #786

Enrique Allen Mar

"How do you eat an Elephant? ...One bite at a time"

Today was dedicated to get some sort of form on the wiring harness going from the fuse board to the dash. Most everything works, but we still need to integrate components of the 3.6 harness. It's not perfect, and not the final run, but this gives us some sort of an idea on how the harness will 'run'.

I haven't completely mounted everything, because I'm still accessing the switches, but it is MUCH more organized and pretty easy to work with. Most connections are labeled, but I still have a few orphans.

To make things easier for any future adds, I'm relocating the 12v 'junction point' that's below the dash to be more accessible just behind the gauge cluster, as well as adding another for Ground.

Plan is to finish up the wiring; verify, trouble-shoot and add everything. Then I'll address the harness one-more time before buttoning up the dash.

Before
Attached Image

After
Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
RiqueMar
post Aug 24 2019, 11:49 PM
Post #787

Enrique Allen Mar

End-of-day, and we are testing! So far running lights, turn signals, headlights are a go. Current challenge is the pilot lights!

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
barefoot
post Aug 25 2019, 04:00 AM
Post #788

Member No.: 15,673
Region Association: South East States

When routing wires over the steering column MAKE SURE you keep everything away from the U-joint. Terrible things happen if wires get snagged in that joint.
Ask me how i know.
+Quote Post
RiqueMar
post Aug 25 2019, 09:14 AM
Post #789

Enrique Allen Mar

QUOTE(barefoot @ Aug 25 2019, 03:00 AM) *

When routing wires over the steering column MAKE SURE you keep everything away from the U-joint. Terrible things happen if wires get snagged in that joint.
Ask me how i know.

Thanks for the heads up! Great advice for anyone reading. Though I haven't had that happen in a car, that has happened to me when wiring out Driving Simulators. Not a fun time.

Eventually, once everything is working, updated, and confirmed, I'll remove the zip-ties and either bind the wiring with fabric-tape (to look somewhat like stock) or safety sleeving. I prefer the safety sleeving, it's what we use on our sims and makes everything look cleaner.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Aug 25 2019, 03:35 PM
Post #790

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

If you have it, I would safety sleeve the wires after the fabric tape. Overkill? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
RiqueMar
post Aug 25 2019, 06:50 PM
Post #791

Enrique Allen Mar

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Aug 25 2019, 02:35 PM) *

If you have it, I would safety sleeve the wires after the fabric tape. Overkill? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Lol, I think you’re a gluten for punishment.
+Quote Post
RiqueMar
post Aug 25 2019, 06:58 PM
Post #792

Enrique Allen Mar

Question for the community here. We are mounting the 914/6 steering column, and notice a slight angle, maybe 2-5 degrees to the drivers side door. Is this normal? I have yet to see it with the dash pad and mount on.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
mb911
post Aug 25 2019, 07:35 PM
Post #793

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Yes that is correct.. Been. Topic several times..
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Aug 25 2019, 08:03 PM
Post #794

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

Looks like you are doing a bunch of stuff that I have already tackled on my conversion. I did the steering column and ignition switch years ago, and I am just finishing up a 964 based 4.0L install. I deleted the DME relay, and went with solid state bosch square relays.

Also, I noticed you have the /4 headlight relay installed. You won't need it with the /6 column.

Let me know if I can help.

Clay
+Quote Post
RiqueMar
post Aug 25 2019, 08:34 PM
Post #795

Enrique Allen Mar

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Aug 25 2019, 07:03 PM) *

Looks like you are doing a bunch of stuff that I have already tackled on my conversion. I did the steering column and ignition switch years ago, and I am just finishing up a 964 based 4.0L install. I deleted the DME relay, and went with solid state bosch square relays.

Also, I noticed you have the /4 headlight relay installed. You won't need it with the /6 column.

Clay

Clay, thanks for the post! Please do-tell, and leave your response here should anyone in the future need any insight. We did find a few ‘funky’ things happening now that we are trying to include the 914/6 steering column, and you have me thinking about that relay.

Also, very excited to hear your thoughts on deleting the DME relay, my conversion is 964 based too.

Thanks in advance, eager to hear from you.

EDIT: Briefly looked over your project thread, really like what you did with the coils below the battery. Again, eager to hear your thoughts on the above!
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Aug 26 2019, 11:46 AM
Post #796

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Aug 25 2019, 09:34 PM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Aug 25 2019, 07:03 PM) *

Clay

Clay, thanks for the post! Please do-tell, and leave your response here should anyone in the future need any insight. We did find a few ‘funky’ things happening now that we are trying to include the 914/6 steering column, and you have me thinking about that relay.

Also, very excited to hear your thoughts on deleting the DME relay, my conversion is 964 based too.

Thanks in advance, eager to hear from you.

EDIT: Briefly looked over your project thread, really like what you did with the coils below the battery. Again, eager to hear your thoughts on the above!

The coils are mounted to a factory 914-6 CD box bracket. Makes for a place close to the distributor. I also put the FI grounds on the same post as the negative battery cable, and added a second ground cable to the engine at the right front corner. I wanted to insure a good ground.

I extended the DME harness so I could put the ECU on the front passenger wall. I cut out the foam block (fyi.. it is actually compressed and shellacked sawdust) to fit around it. I had to add a diagnostic plug, so I got a OBD2 plug kit off evilbay, and wired it according to the adapter diagram.

FYI.. 914-6 wiper switch has what looks like a plug for a relay on it. The other end attaches directly to the 914-6 wiper motor. The switch doesn't connect anywhere else, and the only wiring to the 914-6 motor is a single power wire.

If you are going to run anything other than LED bulbs in your headlights, you need to add a headlight relay kit to your wiring. The switch in the column takes the full load of the headlights, so the contacts burn out with any load more than a sealed beam or LED light. I don't want to sound like a shill, but this kit works good: http://www.allzim.com/store/zim-s-12v-brig...-relay-kit.html You will have to modify it slightly for a 914.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Clay
+Quote Post
RiqueMar
post Apr 6 2020, 10:30 PM
Post #797

Enrique Allen Mar

Well, back at it on-and-off, and the wiring is proving to be too much for me and my Dad, recently. I don't think it's that it is so difficult, but rather that it's hard to start-and-stop while remembering what work you accomplished in the last session.

Considering, currently, either going with a more modern, simple solution (suggestions welcome) or, taking the harness out of the car that had the 3.6 installed in it previously. I think this would make matters a lot easier, as everything is correctly 'loomed'. All I would have to do is 'adjust' and figure how to integrate the /6 steering column controls (wipers, etc.)

Eager to hear the groups thoughts!

Attached Image

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
JRust
post Apr 6 2020, 10:51 PM
Post #798

914 Guru

Member No.: 129
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I got nothing Rique just glad to see you back at it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Apr 7 2020, 08:07 AM
Post #799

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

RiqueMar- I second that. Glad to see you back and making progress on your project. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
eric9144
post Apr 7 2020, 09:26 AM
Post #800

Advanced Member

Member No.: 12,876

@RiqueMar (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) good to see you back at it
+Quote Post

53 Pages V « < 38 39 40 41 42 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 02:56 AM