Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

53 Pages V « < 40 41 42 43 44 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> My Official Project thread, Everything (and more) you never-wanted to know about carpeting
RiqueMar
post May 9 2020, 07:27 PM
Post #821

Enrique Allen Mar

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,478
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Mueller @ May 9 2020, 03:59 PM) *

Look'n good. Man that is a lot of work!

You said it! It's a bit difficult right now because as I'm installing the harness, I'm deleting connectors and runs that are not necessary or applicable to the conversion. Additionally, while I'm not an expert by any means, there was a lot of 'stitched together' wires that makes it a bit harder to decode. Though it gets tedious, I learned my lesson last time - get it operational, then route it correctly. To add to that, bringing over the original harness that was mated to the 3.6 was the best decision I made in a decade! Everything is progressing forward, and I can start unboxing all the equipment I had saved up (Switches, Lights, etc)

Attached Image

Attached Image

As for the rest of the days progress, I'm still cleaning up the harness and new connections with safety sheathing, and beginning to decode and clean up the wiring at the the gauges. To try to expedite, I prepped and painted the dash so that it can dry and cure as I progress on other things. Undercoating below, and a VHT product that I found for Roll bar and Chassis paint. Hopefully, curing over night will be enough, and I can start laying down dash vinyl tomorrow, and the Dash top when it gets here next week.

Pro-tip: SO MUCH easier to work on the dash and vinyl while OUT of the car.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
RiqueMar
post May 9 2020, 07:33 PM
Post #822

Enrique Allen Mar

Question for the pros:

Ordered a lot of stuff from 914rubber.com (thanks to everyone there, btw). I've laid out the front trunk main seal, but I'm not sure which side is up-or-down. Also, for those that have installed this, do I need any adhesive? My memory tells me I don't however I bought some from pep-boys, and I'm thinking to put a small bead in the corners.

Thanks in advance!

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
RiqueMar
post May 12 2020, 10:52 AM
Post #823

Enrique Allen Mar

QUOTE(RiqueMar @ May 9 2020, 06:33 PM) *

Question for the pros:

Ordered a lot of stuff from 914rubber.com (thanks to everyone there, btw). I've laid out the front trunk main seal, but I'm not sure which side is up-or-down. Also, for those that have installed this, do I need any adhesive? My memory tells me I don't however I bought some from pep-boys, and I'm thinking to put a small bead in the corners.

Thanks in advance!

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

As to the last post; For reference, the 'top' of the seal is the last photo. Hope this helps with anyone reading this!
+Quote Post
mepstein
post May 12 2020, 10:57 AM
Post #824

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

E - Is your father going to complete his car?
+Quote Post
RiqueMar
post May 12 2020, 11:28 AM
Post #825

Enrique Allen Mar

QUOTE(mepstein @ May 12 2020, 09:57 AM) *

E - Is your father going to complete his car?

@mepstein - No plans not to! Most everything I'm doing on mine, I'm 'practicing' for his. Finishing up his 6 should be much easier; The stock wiring is there, he's going with the carb'd 2.9 seen earlier in this thread, and we have most all the parts.

-----------

Spent the majority of the weekend shifting focus from the wiring, which is coming together, to the dash so that I can start verifying function, turning items 'on', and work in a bit of a cleaner manner. Top-pad for the dash expected today, thanks again to 914rubber.com, so I wanted to get the front-face completed.

Researching the different methods on the site, I went with 3M Adhesive spray (level 90, in the green can). Taped off each of the areas to not get a lot of overspray, and went with a perforated micro-dot pattern. I wanted to use a single piece, as I don't like the stock look of the dash broken up in different places by the radio plate and such. Though it was intimidating, so long as you do the proper prep work (plan it out, have all tools ready, wait for the adhesive to properly 'set up') this is something that is pretty easy. Mark off your general size, spray both sides, place the material, massage it into the crevices, and trim.

I'm really liking the way the micro-dot / perforated material looks on the dash face. So much so, I grabbed some spare parts to see how it will look with the components mounted. Eager to get the kit from 914rubber, and get this dash in the car today / tomorrow! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post May 12 2020, 11:31 AM
Post #826

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
RiqueMar
post May 12 2020, 11:42 AM
Post #827

Enrique Allen Mar

Prepping the fuel tank area before placing the tank, adding hose clamps and hardware to the blower motor and vents. I'm taking a 'while I'm in the area' approach, and cleaning the dust and debris that has gathered over the last 10 years of starting / stopping work. I ended up removing, and reciting the blower motor inside to be true satin black, as well as touched up the black rubberized undercoating in the front trunk.

Though this is a 'home build', I'm really trying to make everything look as immaculate and cleanly-done as possible.

NOTE: While I'm here, does anyone have a diagram of how to correctly connect the wires from the heater control to the vents?

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
eric9144
post May 12 2020, 12:10 PM
Post #828

Advanced Member

Member No.: 12,876

Awesome progress @RiqueMar (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)
+Quote Post
RiqueMar
post May 13 2020, 06:28 PM
Post #829

Enrique Allen Mar

Received these today; Shout out to @ValcoOscar , cannot wait to get them on. This will be one of those little details that people and myself notice. Also, make sure to hop on over and check out his search and keychains, very cool!

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
RiqueMar
post May 14 2020, 06:10 PM
Post #830

Enrique Allen Mar

Dash top-padding.... Easier than I thought. Note to all those following along, that will do a similar project, and have ordered from 914rubber.com. The black (darker) side material goes down and mates to the dash, whereas the grey (lighter) side of the material goes up, and will mate with the vinyl. The 'pad' portion goes just up to the edge of the dash and vents, whereas the finished material wraps around and over.

Really liking how this turned out, and hats off to @Mikey914 and the team at 914rubber for a very nice product. I did make one small 'knick' just behind the gauge cluster (got a bit too cavalier with 'trimming), hopefully the dash-pad will cover it!

Helpful tip: I used a bit of painters tape around the edges to make sure the curved portion 'holds down' and doesn't release. Other than than, be sure to not push down too hard when setting down the material, this may create 'dimples' all over the dash top, which are super noticeable once the car is outside.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
RiqueMar
post May 14 2020, 06:19 PM
Post #831

Enrique Allen Mar

Cruising through old-posts on this site to see if there were any helpful tips before putting in the dash, I did run into one that was great. Prior to setting it in, I cleaned out the defroster vents along the front windscreen (very easy is the windshield out), and sprayed with a bit of interior satin black paint to give it a fresh look (I used SEMs).

From what I understand, this is something that the factory did, and I'm glad I ran across this off-hand tip. Oh, ALSO, if you can, replace the bottom 'liner' that goes around the vents, that sits underneath the dash... you're there anyway!

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post May 14 2020, 08:19 PM
Post #832

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348
Region Association: None

Look'n sharp can't wait to see the completed project. You are taking your time and not rushing. That is the real key with many of these projects. It's a big project, but by taking your time and working out the details as you move forward it will show when complete. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
RiqueMar
post May 15 2020, 01:33 AM
Post #833

Enrique Allen Mar

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ May 14 2020, 07:19 PM) *

Look'n sharp can't wait to see the completed project. You are taking your time and not rushing. That is the real key with many of these projects. It's a big project, but by taking your time and working out the details as you move forward it will show when complete. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

All with the help of great vendors and a great community! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
+Quote Post
RiqueMar
post May 15 2020, 01:43 AM
Post #834

Enrique Allen Mar

THE. DASH. IS. IN! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

... Just as putting on the top-pad was easier than I expected, putting in the dash was HARDER than I expected. I definitely wish I had a second set of hands, because it is a lot of small adjustments, all while being carful not to push too hard on. the new vinyl and padding. My mistake to avoid; remove everything from the car interior, so it is easy to stand inside the cab and set in the dash. you do not want to step on any stray wires, equipment, parts, etc.

Once in, its just a matter of securing the bolts (located in the fuel area). This is a bit difficult with a standard 10mm wrench/socket set, and I image it would be a lot easier with all the equipment (Blower, vents, hoses, etc.) out of the way. Frankly, I don't know how I could have done this patiently with the windshield installed.

Once the dash is in, its a sight-to-see! I plan on running a 914/6 style steering column and cutting the column wires to match, more on that later, and two more pull-type switches to the right of the the column for seat heaters, rear defrost, manual oil cooler ON, or USB charging port.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post May 15 2020, 08:27 AM
Post #835

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

I am so glad to see this project back on track. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
RiqueMar
post May 16 2020, 07:22 PM
Post #836

Enrique Allen Mar

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ May 15 2020, 07:27 AM) *

I am so glad to see this project back on track. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Just trying to hold a candle to your build @Cairo94507 !

Quick question for anyone active right now... I’m running the Camp 914 style ‘Pilot Lights’ and have long lost the paperwork. Is it recommended to connect then just as the stock fog-lights? I see there is an inline fuse on one of the legs.
+Quote Post
racerx9146
post May 16 2020, 11:02 PM
Post #837

good design never goes out of date..

Member No.: 1,483

Nice job on the harness. Lots of work tracing out everything. Looks like you have it all sorted but just in car here is a diagram I made when I did mine.

Daron

Attached Image
+Quote Post
RiqueMar
post May 18 2020, 01:23 PM
Post #838

Enrique Allen Mar

I think I had seen this before, very helpful, thank you @racerx9146
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post May 18 2020, 01:47 PM
Post #839

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179

QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Aug 25 2019, 07:34 PM) *
really like what you did with the coils below the battery

I mounted the coils to the fan shroud right next (above) the distributors.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-179-1202450158.jpg)
+Quote Post
mepstein
post May 18 2020, 01:58 PM
Post #840

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(racerx9146 @ May 17 2020, 01:02 AM) *

Nice job on the harness. Lots of work tracing out everything. Looks like you have it all sorted but just in car here is a diagram I made when I did mine.

Daron

Attached Image

I wish someone had made one for a 3.2. I can actually understand it. Mostly. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
@racerx914
+Quote Post

53 Pages V « < 40 41 42 43 44 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 08:25 AM