Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

20 Pages V « < 4 5 6 7 8 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Creamsicle resto thread- A little sad tonight, Sold & loaded on a trailer! Headed to Florida to Tommy
JRust
post Jul 19 2009, 07:42 PM
Post #101

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 129
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Went to see the LE today in the shop. Here are some pictures. Only 2 weeks away from paint (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) . I picked up the Mahles today & put riv's on there for rollers. Getting the tires off them this week. Drop them back off for Pheonix red in 2 weeks. Things are loking good even though the route has been slow (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
computers4kids
post Jul 20 2009, 09:33 AM
Post #102

Love these little cars!

Member No.: 4,253
Region Association: None

Jamie, your car looks great...I bet you're getting excited to get it back.

I'm sure your paint guy is going to....
but, be sure he pulls the headlight lids, eyebrows, and the carpet on the wall in the the front trunk to get a better paint job. It looks like he might not be planning on it. I've always pulled the headlight assemblies as well to better detail those units and below, but that's just me.

Looks great! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
JRust
post Sep 27 2009, 10:40 PM
Post #103

914 Guru

Got a call tonight! My LE is painted & I get to go pick it up saturday (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) He still has to add the silver lip to my wheels. I'll grab them later next week as he has a few silvers I've got to look at to make sure it's the right one. I will post plenty of pics the second I get them (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
Daiberl
post Sep 27 2009, 10:54 PM
Post #104

Member No.: 10,497

Congrats, looking forward to the pictures. Jerry Mahoney is painting my Bumblebee at the moment and he will be finished around October 3/4 so I will get it probably in 2 weeks.

- Juergen
+Quote Post
JRust
post Oct 3 2009, 06:24 PM
Post #105

914 Guru

Finally home (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
JRust
post Oct 3 2009, 06:34 PM
Post #106

914 Guru

Overall it looks very good. A few issues that pissed me off. The biggest being the rear trunk. Has some rust below the headlights. While he did treat it & paint it. That was all he did. He didn't fill & sand the depression from it. So it is obvious where the rust was. Also my new battery tray he put in & did an okay job on. He burnt though in one section & didn't fill the small hole left. Hardly noticable but why not fill it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) . Overall I not 100% happy (more like 90%). Then again I did not pay for a perfect job either. I doubt I will use him in the future knowing how things came out. I did learn I need to be completely specific about everything & put it all in writing. That way there is no misunderstanding after. All in all the rest of the car look very nice. A perfect concours car it is not. Still I think when I am done it would do well.

He still has to paint the silver lips on the mahles. They look great though. So it is on my roller Riviera's for another week. I'm hoping to throw it together enough for the falling leaf tour. I may have a little work party next weekend to do the motor install. I'll keep posting pics as I install each piece.

I am so happy to have it home after so long being away. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Oct 3 2009, 08:31 PM
Post #107

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104

Yeah Baby...thats what I'm talkin' about...(IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)

Way To Go Jamie.
+Quote Post
JRust
post Oct 4 2009, 11:33 AM
Post #108

914 Guru

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Oct 3 2009, 07:31 PM) *

Yeah Baby...thats what I'm talkin' about...(IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)

Way To Go Jamie.

Hey Jeff,
Whats the trick to putting on the side stripe? How high does it sit about the bottom? I've done a few vinyl letters before but never on a car. Before I ran tape accross the top getting it n the right place. Then cut in a few sections. Then fold it up & pull the backing off. Only a piece at a time. Not sure with the sidestripe where the breaks are. Then adhering each piece getting all the air out from top to bottom. That sound right or even make sense (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Oct 4 2009, 08:48 PM
Post #109

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419

QUOTE(JRust @ Oct 3 2009, 04:34 PM) *

Overall it looks very good. A few issues that pissed me off. The biggest being the rear trunk. Has some rust below the headlights. While he did treat it & paint it. That was all he did. He didn't fill & sand the depression from it. So it is obvious where the rust was. Also my new battery tray he put in & did an okay job on. He burnt though in one section & didn't fill the small hole left. Hardly noticable but why not fill it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) . Overall I not 100% happy (more like 90%). Then again I did not pay for a perfect job either. I doubt I will use him in the future knowing how things came out. I did learn I need to be completely specific about everything & put it all in writing. That way there is no misunderstanding after.

Not trying to bust your balls Jamie, but you answerd the question to your own dissatisfaction.

a: You didn't want, nor expect a perfect job.
b:You didn't pay for a perfect job
c: you weren't specific as to what you did expect.

Quite honestly the only thing I see that you have a right to be pissed about is the burn through hole on the battery tray.

Being on the other end of this situation I know VERY WELL how these things go. I do my best to be completely upfront as to what a customer will get and wil not get for a specified amount of money. Most of the cars I have posted pics of are in the $15-$20,000 range. I consider them to be better than original bare metal restorations, but NOT "perfect". The " PERFECT " jobs I do are STRICTLY time and materials. For example I reworked a 356 carerra speedster hood last year for a local customer. NOT stripped bare and completely redone just fixed some flaws from the previous " restorer " and repainted and finished it out. He had almost 1000.00 just in the hood. Time and materials. He also told me the hood make the rest of the car look awful. It's a piece of black glass (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I have said before and I will say again, in this line of work you get what you pay for. YES there are a lot of shady body men out there, but there are also a lot of shady lawyers, preists, and god knows, shady politicians. For some reason though the mechanics and body men are the scourge of society from the start. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
JRust
post Oct 4 2009, 09:25 PM
Post #110

914 Guru

QUOTE(scotty b @ Oct 4 2009, 07:48 PM) *

Not trying to bust your balls Jamie, but you answerd the question to your own dissatisfaction.
a: You didn't want, nor expect a perfect job.
b:You didn't pay for a perfect job
c: you weren't specific as to what you did expect
Quite honestly the only thing I see that you have a right to be pissed about is the burn through hole on the battery tray.

I realize I answered my question. I guess pissed was a little strong. Disapointed is probably better. We did talk about the rear trunk & the bit of rust there. So I guess in talking with him I made an assumption that it would at least blend. I expected more than what was done. In him saying he could take care of it no problem. I took that to mean it would look good when done. I should know better than to make assumptions though. I did get what I paid for & overall it is looks good. I did not expect perfection. This area is covered anyway so it is not a huge catastrophy.

I did manage to spend a few minutes on it today. Here is what I got put on.
Front bumper, LE Valance & drivers side rocker

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Lou W
post Oct 4 2009, 09:33 PM
Post #111

"Here Kitty Kitty" my ass......

Member No.: 2,039
Region Association: Spain

Looking Good Jaime. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
flippa
post Oct 4 2009, 09:46 PM
Post #112

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,720
Region Association: North East States

Looking good!
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
RonD
post Oct 5 2009, 05:20 PM
Post #113

Ron Diederichsen

Member No.: 2,286

Glad to see another coming back to original.
+Quote Post
zymurgist
post Oct 5 2009, 05:31 PM
Post #114

"Ace" Mechanic

Member No.: 4,238

There's such a thing as too perfect. Too perfect is when you don't want to take it out and drive it hard because the perfect paint job will get chips or scratches.

From your photos, I think your car looks awesome (coming from a guy who has a pair of 10/10 aka 10 feet or 10 mph cars).
+Quote Post
UberElectricEagle
post Oct 6 2009, 02:01 AM
Post #115

atomic

Member No.: 10,659

NICE!
+Quote Post
JRust
post Oct 10 2009, 09:52 PM
Post #116

914 Guru

SO I got some work done today. I took out my old dash & got my new dash in. I did find cracks in my supposed uncracked dash. They really are small & can't be seen. Especially once in my car. I was happy to see that. I also spent more time on my interior. I've got about half my carpet in. I will be finishing my interior tommorow. Oh & I need to put my rear window back in.

I added a picture of the LE with it's new side stripe (thanks Jeff Bowlsby (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) ). Overall they went on pretty well. I did get a few air bubbles but got them ou for the most part. I can't wait to pick up my Mahles this week. Then it will really pop.

My engine is pretty close to ready. My wrench is wrapping it up this weekend. I should have it back on monday & can put my nice powdercoated tin on it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif) . There are a few pics of my motor. He was working on it when I stopped by. I took a quick few to add. It looks very nice & just screams add my tin

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
JRust
post Oct 10 2009, 09:53 PM
Post #117

914 Guru

More pics

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
markb
post Oct 10 2009, 10:14 PM
Post #118

914less :(

Member No.: 180
Region Association: Central California

Wow! Nice. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif)
+Quote Post
schreiber
post Oct 10 2009, 10:48 PM
Post #119

Member No.: 7,843
Region Association: South East States

lookin GOOD!
+Quote Post
montoya 73 2.0
post Oct 11 2009, 12:00 AM
Post #120

Lack of consideration to others, and Selfish!

Member No.: 3,016
Region Association: Central California

Looking good! How was the game Jamie? Beavers whooped on Stanford. Even though I like Stanford (grew up 20 miles from there). I always choose Beav's over Ducks in the civil war!
+Quote Post

20 Pages V « < 4 5 6 7 8 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th May 2024 - 08:20 AM