Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

20 Pages V « < 18 19 20  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Creamsicle resto thread- A little sad tonight, Sold & loaded on a trailer! Headed to Florida to Tommy
poorsche914
post Dec 8 2012, 01:54 PM
Post #381

T4 Supercharged

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,419
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(tumamilhem @ Dec 8 2012, 02:13 PM) *
Oh, one other thing - this Creamsicle - made ON MY BIRTHDAY! How cool is that?! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

That IS cool (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Dec 8 2012, 02:59 PM
Post #382

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(tumamilhem @ Dec 8 2012, 12:13 PM) *

I contacted Jamie about his car and over the course of a month or so, getting to know him, found him to be a pretty nice guy, honest, informative, generous and moreover, reminded me of an elderly gentleman who after pulling me over not having my first 914 for 24 hours to check out my car and later befriended (this guy was a 914 expert, "Dr. Phil" the Porsche doctor I called him, owned 18 914s over his lifetime, offered to help work on my first car and found my second one and we became friends before he passed away).

Is this the Phil you're talking about? His passing was a sad chapter in 914World

Attached Image

Oh yeah... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) Jamie put his heart and soul, blood and tears into that restoration. When he started it, he had hair!
+Quote Post
tumamilhem
post Dec 8 2012, 04:00 PM
Post #383

LUFTBRIGADE

Member No.: 15,092

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Dec 8 2012, 03:59 PM) *

QUOTE(tumamilhem @ Dec 8 2012, 12:13 PM) *

I contacted Jamie about his car and over the course of a month or so, getting to know him, found him to be a pretty nice guy, honest, informative, generous and moreover, reminded me of an elderly gentleman who after pulling me over not having my first 914 for 24 hours to check out my car and later befriended (this guy was a 914 expert, "Dr. Phil" the Porsche doctor I called him, owned 18 914s over his lifetime, offered to help work on my first car and found my second one and we became friends before he passed away).

Is this the Phil you're talking about? His passing was a sad chapter in 914World

Attached Image

Oh yeah... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) Jamie put his heart and soul, blood and tears into that restoration. When he started it, he had hair!

Oh man... you just brought a tear to my face. Yes, that's my buddy Phil.

Phil did a lot of work on my Scarlet Red '75 914 that I have up for sale. He was the one who actually found my '75 in the paper as I was at his house having lunch and taking a break from working on my '74.

I met Phil within less than 24 hours of buying my first 914. I as driving around (we lived in close proximity, within about 5 or 6 miles of each other, me in Riverside and him in Ortega). This guy kept following me around in his pickup truck, trying to get my attention. At a stop light he pulled along side of me and yelled, "Hey man! Pull over! I want to talk to you!" So I did. He was inquiring about my car, which was a real junker. I told him I needed to fix this, get parts for this, etc. He said, "Oh man, I got so many extra parts you can have 'em!" (And boy he wasn't kidding! His garage from floor to ceiling was nothing but 914 parts!) "I can help you fix that!" So he gave me his number the next weekend I called him and said, "Hey, this is Tommy with the 914." He said, "Hey man! Come on over and we'll fix up your car!" Therein began my friendship with Phil, which lasted until his death.

I nicknamed him "Dr. Phil - The Porsche Doctor". In his garage, he had a street-type sign that said Porsche Doctor or something of that nature, so I nicknamed him that. He did major surgery on my car out of the goodness of his heart. He took me to the Sport Car Vintage Car Races in Savannah so we could watch all these 914s and the like race. I was at his house every weekend. We went on outings with his very nice wife Liz, had lunch together, and work on my car - a LOT. He was almost finished restoring a beautiful signal orange car for his wife. I mean this thing was impeccable. He had 4 other parts cars in his backyard. Plus one. I remember the phone call - "Hey Tom! You'll never guess what I found in my garage! MY OTHER CAR!" I told you he had floor-to-ceiling parts! He has so many parts, that they completely covered his black 914! It had been hidden for so long, he could never remember what had happened to it! His wife had a kiln in the garage (she made homemade pottery) and finally made him clean up the garage because she was afraid with all that un-organization, that the kiln would eventually set fire to something!

Phil had had a couple of different cancers he had been fighting. He lived about 20 years longer than the doctors told him though. And in the end, it wasn't even cancer that killed him. It was a brain tumor, even though they killed the tumor. They didn't remove the tumor because he had has so much kimo, they though he would be too weak to remove it. So they killed the tumor, but the mass eventually pressed up against his brain and that's what killed him. Phil was always in great spirits and very active for a 74 year old guy. His wife was 41, which had something to do with it. These two were so great together. Like a couple of kids, honestly. They went on trips, hiking, always working on his cars, etc. But it was his spirit that I think made him live so long with the cancer. I remember one afternoon the three of us were having lunch at his house. He was eating cake and a few other things that wouldn't be so healthy. He said to me, "You know what the great thing about having cancer is? You don't gain any weight! I haven't gained a goddamn pound in years!" lol That was Phil's personality. He as a great guy, generous, honesty, considerate and very warm, friendly and welcoming. He was a good friend, as was his wife Liz, and a great guy. And he literally knew every single nut and bolt on that car.

It's funny, because just yesterday I was wearing a t-shirt he gave to me. It's an old t-shirt with a picture of a 914 on it. He also wanted to give me his favorite leather bomber jacket, but I just couldn't take it. After he died, his wife Liz said he left it for me. But somehow we lost touch. I didn't know about the funeral until after the fact and then wasn't able to reach her soon after our last conversation.

Thank you so much for this picture. I don't have one of him or us. It's good to see my old buddy again.

I'll never forget him.
+Quote Post
Gint
post Dec 8 2012, 04:11 PM
Post #384

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Phil was that kinda guy. There are a lot of 914 guys like that. Right here...

QUOTE(billh1963 @ Dec 8 2012, 11:11 AM) *
My current British ride is a 1973 TR6!

And a nice looking one at that.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Mar 28 2015, 04:46 PM
Post #385

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
billh1963
post Mar 28 2015, 05:40 PM
Post #386

Car Hoarder!

Member No.: 12,871

I almost bought that car. But, tumamilhem beat me to it.

I drug my feet because of the reconstructed title. Guess I waited too long

Creamsicle for sale
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Mar 28 2015, 06:10 PM
Post #387

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419
Region Association: None

Seems like this poor car has been plagued with F.I. issues (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Probably just needs a couple Webers on it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hide.gif)
+Quote Post
a few loose screws
post Mar 28 2015, 06:22 PM
Post #388

Member No.: 17,754
Region Association: None

Does anyone know if there are any recent photos of this car????

+Quote Post

20 Pages V « < 18 19 20
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:38 AM