Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

20 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Creamsicle resto thread- A little sad tonight, Sold & loaded on a trailer! Headed to Florida to Tommy
championgt1
post Oct 27 2008, 10:05 PM
Post #81

Don't embarrass me Filmore!

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,420
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Nice job. Jamie, where are you safety glasses?
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
JRust
post Nov 7 2008, 09:17 PM
Post #82

914 Guru

Member No.: 129

Here is a pic of my COA from Porsche! Very cool (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Matches up with all the info I have so YES!

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
JRust
post Nov 15 2008, 10:00 PM
Post #83

914 Guru

I haven't done anything to my car lately. I have been getting some parts together. I finally just found an uncracked dash. I just got my new carpet. Thanks to Morph (James & Heidi) along with a new center cushion. I also found a nice set of seats. I also got a new speedometer with everything working (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) . Basically I have everything I need to have a concours stock interior (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) .

Now I get to get back to the body. I'll be pulling the drivetrain over thanksgiving weekend. I need to replace my battery tray. Below is good thank goodness. The motor is pretty solid but leaking. Pretty sure the typical pushrod seals. I'll be prepping the tin for paint. This I will do myself. The rest of the paint is going somewhere to get done. Not sure where yet? Looking for someone local who will give me a nice paint job cheap (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) . Well hoping to find someone reasonable anyway.

Oh I also need to repair the rear trunk hinge. Anyway making some progress while not actually doing alot to my car (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

One more thing. Has anyone had the negative porsche side decal painted on instead. Would it increase the value as opposed to the common vinyl? Or was this vinyl stock? SO which woul be better? It seems to me the pheonix red would match better if painted with the wheels? Just curious (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
morph
post Nov 15 2008, 11:10 PM
Post #84

quality parts builder

Member No.: 1,389

Talk to mahoney in kelso about the paint. i got his contact info i just did a interior for him.
james
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Nov 16 2008, 10:17 AM
Post #85

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104
Region Association: None

Don't paint it James..it would be non-original, cost a lot more and devalue the car...
+Quote Post
JRust
post Nov 16 2008, 10:45 AM
Post #86

914 Guru

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Nov 16 2008, 08:17 AM) *

Don't paint it Jamie..it would be non-original, cost a lot more and devalue the car...

Got it! Kind of figured that but thought it would match better. Doesn't seem like the decal matches the phoenix red that well. Maybe the decal was just faded
+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Nov 16 2008, 01:20 PM
Post #87

Walnut Elite Stratocaster player

Member No.: 7,318
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Just keep going!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/creamsicle914.jpg) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)
+Quote Post
JRust
post Nov 24 2008, 02:49 PM
Post #88

914 Guru

Well I haven't found the original engine. I did find one damn close though. My original case was GA012249. I found one that is GA012267. Not sure if that would be better than the GA out of the 73 that is currently in the car (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) . Unless it is the original numbers matching one I can't imagine it making a difference. Do you think the year specific would make it more desirable?

Either way I am going to buy the motor. Always nice to have a backup (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) .
+Quote Post
klikkid3
post Nov 25 2008, 11:07 AM
Post #89

Member No.: 9,242
Region Association: Southern California

Where did you get that information/certificate about your car from, I would love to get something like that.
+Quote Post
Drums66
post Nov 25 2008, 11:54 AM
Post #90

914 Rudiments

Member No.: 151
Region Association: Southwest Region

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) *914 Freak* Be Happy!
+Quote Post
JRust
post Nov 25 2008, 07:59 PM
Post #91

914 Guru

QUOTE(klikkid3 @ Nov 25 2008, 09:07 AM) *

Where did you get that information/certificate about your car from, I would love to get something like that.

Porsche has a 1-800 #. I don't remember where I got it. You just need your vin & they will send it out. Takes 4-6 weeks for it to all go thru. Cost like $75 too but well worth it.
+Quote Post
JRust
post Dec 18 2008, 10:10 PM
Post #92

914 Guru

I got a big package today in the mail. It is my perfect new dash (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif) . I packaged the sucker back up until I could get to it. Still haven't done squat to my car. Right now it is to damn cold in my basement. 30 degrees outside right now (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

I think I am going to read up on body work. Any good books out for that? I'd like to do the prep work before paint. I'd also like to take shot at painting the pheonix red on the bumpers, Rockers, Valances & wheels.
+Quote Post
Coy
post Dec 18 2008, 11:00 PM
Post #93

Member No.: 5,537

Hey, I painted the fairing on my BMW this fall. It took me 4 tries and I'm still not happy with it, but I got sick of trying and it's pretty close now.

Anywhooo... I can tell you a couple things not to do, when preping to paint.
For one thing double check the type of sandable primer you use. Don't use lacquer primer with acrylic paint. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) I actually knew that, I just didn't think they sold lacquer primer at Napa, and apparently I'm too stupid to look. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) Every day of my life, I live & learn...

Oh well, nothing sandpaper can't fix...

I have a touch up gun that works pretty good for small areas.
+Quote Post
davesclassicvws
post Dec 19 2008, 09:39 AM
Post #94

davesclassicvws

Member No.: 4,917

Hey Jamie you should talk to Steve Hebert about painting your car. He was the guy driving the vette at the Falling Leaf Tour drive. Steve has painted several 914's. He did the battery tray reapir on my car and also painted a bug for me. He has done alot of work for Craig and is reasonable on his prices. His shop is in Washougal. Talk to Craig. He's got his number.
+Quote Post
JRust
post Jan 25 2009, 04:25 PM
Post #95

914 Guru

Okay so after a while of not doing anything I've started taking parts off. Sending to a shop for paint a week from Wednesday. Pulled off bumpers & valances yesterday along with the rockers. Next saturday out comes the drivetrain. Then it is off to get painted. Will be a good 6 weeks at the shop for paint.

Found a local retired guy who does it in his spare time. He works about 2 days a week is all. So he will go slow but at least I can do a pay as you go with him. Nice and reasonable to work with & does great work. He did a lot of Mopar restorations & I got to look at his photo album. Got to see a very nice 69 firebird resto from start to finish.

While it is at the shop I will be pulling engine tin for powdercoating. Still debating keeping the good running 2.0 motor. Someone had replaced the original motor with one out of a 73. I found a 2.0 motor out of a 74 that is only 19 numbers off my original motor. Not sure if it will make much difference value wise as neither is the original. It would at least be year specific (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) .
+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Jan 25 2009, 04:42 PM
Post #96

Walnut Elite Stratocaster player

Member No.: 7,318
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(JRust @ Jan 25 2009, 05:25 PM) *

Someone had replaced the original motor with one out of a 73. I found a 2.0 motor out of a 74 that is only 19 numbers off my original motor. Not sure if it will make much difference value wise as neither is the original. It would at least be year specific (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) .

From what I saw watching the B/J auction I'd say it's a safe bet & am sure it won't hurt $.
+Quote Post
JRust
post Jan 31 2009, 12:32 PM
Post #97

914 Guru

Well I didn't make much progress this morninng. I had a 2 hour window that got interupted a few to many times. Still I just need to disconnect the cv's from the tranny flanges. Then I'm ready to drop it. Not going to happen today as I have to head out for my girls bball games. Here are a few pics just so you know I actually started

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
JRust
post Feb 8 2009, 12:52 AM
Post #98

914 Guru

Finished pulling the drivetrain today. Only a week late (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) . I also took off the rear bumper & drivers rocker. Wish I had a set of rollers to send the car out on. As the wheels need to come off for paint also. I may pick some up this wednesday when I go to pick up my new 73 2.0 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) . Here are some pics of the soon to be phoenix red parts. Also nice to see all of these parts show the original Pheonix red underneath the black paint.

Also some pics of the phucking rust on the battery tray & below (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) . It actually isn't that bad. No holes going thru & solid even with the screwdriver test. I allready have a replacement battery tray (Thanks Dan Root). I've got to get all my paint codes for my paint guy too.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
JRust
post Feb 15 2009, 09:37 PM
Post #99

914 Guru

It's officially gone! Just dropped it off at the paint guys shop. Looks like close to 3 months than 2. Oh well I just want it to be done right. I'll get some more updates as I go by to check on things (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
JRust
post Jul 15 2009, 04:25 PM
Post #100

914 Guru

Well there were some serious delays. My paint guy got real sick. Ended up in the ICU for close to 2 weeks. My car pretty much sat for 2 months without anything being done. Not a huge deal as I was resigned for a longer wait than usual. Good news is I am going to see it on saturday. I've got to take over some rollers so I can get the tires off the Mahles before paint. I also forgot to take over my new battery tray & the front Valance. I'll be dropping those pieces off & taking some pictures. Finally starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Although I still have to put it all back together (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) .

Motor is being rebuilt & will be ready. Transmision is being rebuilt at Evil's clinic. I've got ton's of beautiful parts ready to go back on this baby. It may not be a concours winner when I am done but it sure as hell should place (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) .
+Quote Post

20 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th May 2024 - 08:30 AM