Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> McIntosh audio in a 914, Sound quality in a fourteener??
monkeyboy
post Feb 11 2009, 11:13 AM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,147
Region Association: None

Did you do any charging modifications to keep up with that amp? I know my Soundstream Class A 10.0 has a 60 or 80 amp fuse on it. Can the charging system handle that much of a load?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Rod
post Feb 11 2009, 11:19 AM
Post #22

Member No.: 8,526
Region Association: England

QUOTE(monkeyboy @ Feb 11 2009, 05:13 PM) *

Did you do any charging modifications to keep up with that amp? I know my Soundstream Class A 10.0 has a 60 or 80 amp fuse on it. Can the charging system handle that much of a load?

If necessary I will have the alternator rewound to give me a higher output (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

All I have done so far is improve the cabling throughout and the battery is an Odyssey. The original loom is not being used for any form of audio equipment, the feeds all come from that Streetwires combo block in the rear. The next job on the list is an engine stripdown check and rebuild - so I'll cross the alternator bridge when it's out of the car. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

The Soundstream Class A does have an 80 amp fuse in it, but it only ever drew that sort of power when running 6 x 10inch subs at 145db!!! The McIntosh will not pull that much power, I have had it running at normal listening volumes and it needs 7.5 - 12amps.
+Quote Post
Zundfolge
post Feb 11 2009, 11:57 AM
Post #23

Member No.: 7,994
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Beautiful setup!

Should sound wonderful (at least when parked ... dunno how good its going to sound wizzing down the road with the top down. I don't even have a radio in my car, but with the Kerry Hunter header and Supertrapp I wouldn't be able to hear it anyway (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif) )
+Quote Post
dkjens
post Feb 11 2009, 03:07 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 9,785

Has anybody tried BassShakers in a Teener?

I had one set of these http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.c...tnumber=299-028 except mine were not the Pro, but a set rated at only 35W screwed to the floor boards under the front seats of my '93 Chevy C1500 truck. Everybody who rode in that truck looked around for the big "box" because they really had that effect. At the time I paid $100.00 for the set, and they did eventually burn out (I powered them with a 200W amp).
Later I got a promotional email and I picked up four sets of these (eight units total) for $100.00. I don't have the rear vinyl cover on my firewall, so I'm thinking of mounting maybe four on the firewall between the seats, and two more in the floor in front of each seat.
+Quote Post
Rod
post Feb 11 2009, 03:22 PM
Post #25

QUOTE(dkjens @ Feb 11 2009, 09:07 PM) *

Has anybody tried BassShakers in a Teener?

I had one set of these http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.c...tnumber=299-028 except mine were not the Pro, but a set rated at only 35W screwed to the floor boards under the front seats of my '93 Chevy C1500 truck. Everybody who rode in that truck looked around for the big "box" because they really had that effect. At the time I paid $100.00 for the set, and they did eventually burn out (I powered them with a 200W amp).
Later I got a promotional email and I picked up four sets of these (eight units total) for $100.00. I don't have the rear vinyl cover on my firewall, so I'm thinking of mounting maybe four on the firewall between the seats, and two more in the floor in front of each seat.

Personally I have never used one, I remember them coming to market and heard good reviews, but I have never heard one or installed one.

Maybe someone else has hopefully - they go against my ideas of Sound quality (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)
+Quote Post
monkeyboy
post Feb 12 2009, 03:21 PM
Post #26

QUOTE(Rod @ Feb 11 2009, 09:19 AM) *

QUOTE(monkeyboy @ Feb 11 2009, 05:13 PM) *

If necessary I will have the alternator rewound to give me a higher output (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

All I have done so far is improve the cabling throughout and the battery is an Odyssey. The original loom is not being used for any form of audio equipment, the feeds all come from that Streetwires combo block in the rear. The next job on the list is an engine stripdown check and rebuild - so I'll cross the alternator bridge when it's out of the car. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

The Soundstream Class A does have an 80 amp fuse in it, but it only ever drew that sort of power when running 6 x 10inch subs at 145db!!! The McIntosh will not pull that much power, I have had it running at normal listening volumes and it needs 7.5 - 12amps.

Cool. I have never monitored what the amps were doing in real time. I just make sure I have enough reserve capacity for a balls out run. The two Odysseys and a 240 amp alternator in my truck should cover it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) But then I am running a Class A 10.0, a Class A Picasso, and a Reference 1000s in my truck. I don't want to run out of juice.
+Quote Post
Rod
post Feb 12 2009, 03:39 PM
Post #27

Cool. I have never monitored what the amps were doing in real time. I just make sure I have enough reserve capacity for a balls out run. The two Odysseys and a 240 amp alternator in my truck should cover it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) But then I am running a Class A 10.0, a Class A Picasso, and a Reference 1000s in my truck. I don't want to run out of juice.

Cool system! I'm into Soundstream stuff too, I have a Class A 10.2, Picasso, renoir and a Balanced XO to run it all, and two Soundstream SS10rs (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)
+Quote Post
Cevan
post Feb 12 2009, 05:41 PM
Post #28

Member No.: 7,351

Rod, how did you make the sub enclosure? Any pictures of that process?
+Quote Post
monkeyboy
post Feb 13 2009, 03:04 PM
Post #29

QUOTE(Rod @ Feb 12 2009, 01:39 PM) *

Cool system! I'm into Soundstream stuff too, I have a Class A 10.2, Picasso, renoir and a Balanced XO to run it all, and two Soundstream SS10rs (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)

Sweet collection. I love the old Soundstreams. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
+Quote Post
Rod
post Mar 5 2009, 01:27 PM
Post #30

Small update -

I have finished the amp cover, this will be covered in vinyl to match the backpad etc..

(IMG:http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h106/rodericdavies/IMG_4151.jpg)
(IMG:http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h106/rodericdavies/IMG_4154.jpg)
(IMG:http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h106/rodericdavies/IMG_4166.jpg)

This then lifts up like so..

(IMG:http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h106/rodericdavies/IMG_4167.jpg)

And the amp tips forward to reveal the gubbins underneath..

(IMG:http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h106/rodericdavies/IMG_4185.jpg)

The head unit is being returned tomorrow, so I start tuning at the weekend.. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

This is definitely not one for the Wine & Cheese crowd (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

I need to start thinking about contacting Jake Raby about building me a 2270 motor to pull it around a bit smoother soon (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
turboman808
post Mar 5 2009, 04:47 PM
Post #31

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,505
Region Association: North East States

I had no idea they made stuff for cars. That's pretty crazy putting that in a 914.
+Quote Post
thesey914
post Mar 5 2009, 05:07 PM
Post #32

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 66

Rod, that is beautifully engineered. One question though -what type of music is played through it, I bet it ain't the cheeky girls? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
jsayre914
post Mar 5 2009, 05:11 PM
Post #33

Speed Up !!!

Member No.: 8,696
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I love it, Very nice cabinet in the back. Im a little jelous, you made it look like it belongs there. Too bad we cant hear it.

I am also working on a rear trunk cabinet for my car. Its fun to see what other people are doing.

i would appreciate if you critique mine

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)
+Quote Post
Rod
post Mar 6 2009, 04:48 AM
Post #34

QUOTE(thesey914 @ Mar 5 2009, 11:07 PM) *

Rod, that is beautifully engineered. One question though -what type of music is played through it, I bet it ain't the cheeky girls? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Thankyou, nice comment (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) I mainly listen to 'Aqua' and the Spice girls. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Mar 5 2009, 11:11 PM) *

I love it, Very nice cabinet in the back. Im a little jelous, you made it look like it belongs there. Too bad we cant hear it.

I am also working on a rear trunk cabinet for my car. Its fun to see what other people are doing.

i would appreciate if you critique mine

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)

Well thanks, the whole intention was to make it look 'factory' Once the cover is covered in vinyl, it really will look (hopefully) original. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)

Post yours up, I'll have a look and give criticism/advice/praise, whatever is necessary (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Rod
post Mar 17 2009, 04:41 AM
Post #35

Well I have very nearly finished (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) We had a couple of rare days of sunshine over here in England over the weekend, so I got outside with a sander and finished preparing the top cover..... Then got some 6.5mm laminated glass cut to size and covered the build in matching vinyl... Pic fest to follow!!

(IMG:http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h106/rodericdavies/IMG_4267.jpg)
(IMG:http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h106/rodericdavies/IMG_4272.jpg)
(IMG:http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h106/rodericdavies/IMG_4326.jpg)
(IMG:http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h106/rodericdavies/IMG_4277.jpg)
(IMG:http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h106/rodericdavies/IMG_4316.jpg)
(IMG:http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h106/rodericdavies/IMG_4286.jpg)
(IMG:http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h106/rodericdavies/IMG_4271.jpg)

So I hope you think it looks reasonably factory fresh??!! It sounds amazing, I get a strong central image and vocals come from on the bonnet. It actually sounds as good as my home setup which is a miracle in such a small car (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)

The best comment was from my wife, who came home from work yesterday and said, I quote "Wow, did you do that??" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
rjames
post Jun 2 2009, 11:53 AM
Post #36

I'm made of metal

Member No.: 4,467
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Does it get too hot back there above the exhaust for the amp to be properly ventilated?
+Quote Post
Rod
post Jun 7 2009, 05:58 AM
Post #37

QUOTE(rjames @ Jun 2 2009, 06:53 PM) *

Does it get too hot back there above the exhaust for the amp to be properly ventilated?

Not as yet, No. The amp has four fans built in which work in various stages...

two fans either end -

1 - stage one, one end fans on low

2 - stage two, above fans kick upto full speed

3 - stage three, fans at opposite end switch onto full.

So far I have had it upto stage two, playing music loud on a hot day, but it wasn't really too hot. This amp is a fabulous piece of engineering - it seems to take everything in it's stride. I was into Soundstream old school amps before McIntosh and they were as reliable as 1980's Alfa Romeo electrics.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

the system has now been tuned and it sounds fabulous - it images above the dash and the soundstage extends outside the car left/right - I am very pleased with it, but have now finished so am a little bored and need another project. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif)
+Quote Post
degreeoff
post Jun 7 2009, 01:46 PM
Post #38

I like big butts and I can not lie!

Member No.: 275
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

geez that might actually over power the ambient noise in my teener....V E R Y nice!
+Quote Post
Rod
post Jun 7 2009, 02:44 PM
Post #39

QUOTE(degreeoff @ Jun 7 2009, 08:46 PM) *

geez that might actually over power the ambient noise in my teener....V E R Y nice!

It does in mine (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) Just got back in from a spin and when it's pumping all you can hear is the music you want to listen to (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Hotel California never sounded better!

with the soundproofing on the firewall I can't hear the engine at speed at all.

I realize that this may be against the ethos of the 914, but I just love it
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Jun 7 2009, 04:20 PM
Post #40

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(degreeoff @ Jun 7 2009, 03:46 PM) *

I have hear yours...no stereo would overpower that six....

R
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 12:59 PM