Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> questions about "M" calipers
Wes V
post Nov 3 2008, 12:01 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,211

I'm rebuilding a set of rear "M" calipers for my 914 and have a bunch of questions.

1. Inside the bore of the caliper there is a pin that goes into a mechanism within the piston. What the heck is it for? How do I remove it? Is it screwed into the caliper body or just press fitted into place. It needs to be removed in order to hone the bore.

2. If I can get rid of the "pin" within the bore of the caliper, what pistons can I use. I know it's easy to remove the mechanism within the piston (simple snap ring), but I have to get new pistons anyway. An actual porsche part number would be nice!! (Stoddard lists some aftermarket 38mm stainless steel pistons, but I'm not sure if they are applicable or have the stepped to surface talked about in the next point)

3. The pistons have to be installed (rotated) as shown in the following diagram.

(IMG:http://www.performanceforum.com/wesvann/914a/piston-angle.jpg)

This places the lower "stepped" surface of the piston in the upper position.

It's not due to the pad having an "index'd" matching surface (the pad just has a flat surface), and as such I've got to ask why it matters? (I have to assume it's so that the initial "bite" of the pad is lessened on the leading edge)

4. Are any of the "rebuild" kits better than others. (the kit normally is just the piston o-ring, dust seal, and retainer clip) Are there any to avoid?

5. The four bolts that hold the calipers together are 7mm (from the factory) and when loose, the parts of the caliper sure sure do flop around a lot!! Has anybody used 8mm bolts to help alignment and also be stronger. Where would you get 8mm bolts in the correct grade (12.9?). If you just use the factory 7mm bolts, are there any secrets to keeping everything aligned while tightening. (since I'm talking about the bolts, what should they be torqued too?) Other than the factory, is there a good source for the bolts?

6. Any idea on cost of zinc plating? (the parts have been blasted and clean)

Wes Vann

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
Wes V   questions about "M" calipers   Nov 3 2008, 12:01 PM
Cap'n Krusty   The correct kit is difficult to come by. You...   Nov 3 2008, 12:57 PM
Wes V   You're dealing with the parking brake mechan...   Nov 3 2008, 01:06 PM
Cap'n Krusty   You're dealing with the parking brake mecha...   Nov 3 2008, 01:51 PM
Wes V   Cone; I agree that Eric does a great job and his p...   Nov 3 2008, 01:59 PM
ConeDodger   Put them in a box. Send them to PMB with a check f...   Nov 3 2008, 01:23 PM
Eric_Shea   You ask a lot of questions... :D 1. Knock-Back me...   Nov 3 2008, 04:35 PM
Wes V   Eric; (without a "K") Thanks! (Ya,...   Nov 3 2008, 05:12 PM
DBCooper   (Ya, I tend to ask a whole bunch of questions, bu...   Nov 3 2008, 06:49 PM
Eric_Shea   At twice the price I'll buy the Ribe Bit set a...   Nov 3 2008, 07:06 PM
Wes V   One thing I've noticed when doing searches on ...   Nov 3 2008, 07:39 PM
Eric_Shea   PM your credit card info for the answer... :P   Nov 3 2008, 09:21 PM
DBCooper   PM your credit card info for the answer... :P ...   Nov 3 2008, 09:30 PM
sixnotfour   Just dive in, if the bolts are factrory they are ...   Nov 3 2008, 09:29 PM
Eric_Shea   Alright... I feel sorry for ya. Here's my 5 m...   Nov 3 2008, 09:33 PM
davep   Just like Eric, I've been rebuilding calipers ...   Nov 4 2008, 09:07 AM
Wes V   OK, bolts are an issue. 901.352.978.12 is NLA. S...   Nov 4 2008, 06:03 PM
Eric_Shea   It's your life. I would NEVER do that as 1/...   Nov 4 2008, 06:18 PM
Wes V   I measured the shank on the original Ribe bolt and...   Nov 4 2008, 07:04 PM
andys   I measured the shank on the original Ribe bolt an...   Nov 5 2008, 01:14 PM
Wes V   This whole thing got started when I was just putti...   Nov 5 2008, 05:33 PM
Eric_Shea   You asked questions. I gave you the answers. I wo...   Nov 5 2008, 06:07 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 08:35 AM