Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

10 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> the sinister urge, no more DSM... (and slowly getting pictures fixed in old posts)
RJMII
post Jun 1 2009, 11:02 AM
Post #61

Jim McIntosh

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,112
Region Association: None

Gerard, thank you! We are aiming for 300-350hp.

John, ae you putting the 4g64 in a 914? if you do it right you can keep your front trunk. My first 914 had a 2.2 turbo I4 from a Shelby daytona and the radiator we ran fit in the engine compartment. I'd go with a push through config on the fan...

Mike, thank you! I got the turn signal switch installed that you sent, and you can see in the pics how the lenses look. Ihve chrome bumpers from a 73... I need to figure out how to remove them from my parts car.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
6freak
post Jun 1 2009, 11:20 AM
Post #62

MR.C

Member No.: 8,829
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(RJMII @ Jun 1 2009, 10:02 AM) *

John, ae you putting the 4g64 in a 914? if you do it right you can keep your front trunk. My first 914 had a 2.2 turbo I4 from a Shelby daytona and the radiator we ran fit in the engine compartment. I'd go with a push through config on the fan...

Mike, thank you! I got the turn signal switch installed that you sent, and you can see in the pics how the lenses look. Ihve chrome bumpers from a 73... I need to figure out how to remove them from my parts car.

They look pretty good ...glad the turn signel worked ..keep up the good work so you can make it too the WCR in Tahoe.......seeya there! only 11 months away
+Quote Post
RockinOldSchool
post Jun 1 2009, 11:35 AM
Post #63

914 Junkie

Member No.: 6,562

QUOTE(RJMII @ Jun 1 2009, 08:02 AM) *

Ah so YOU'RE the person that got the signal switch. I was disappointed when I showed up at Mike's on Saturday for the sawzall party and saw that it was already gone. Mine broke last week. I've noticed people REALLY don't pay attention to arm signals anymore... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

I want to put the 64 in the silver car in my avatar. I'm getting a Evo IX Mivec head for free that I want to mate up to the 64 long block and possibly destroke it with the crank out of the same Evo (Lower the CR so I can run a IX turbo). Still learning as I go here. I was a Nissan guy before I got into the VW/Porsche side of things. So Mitsu engines are new territory for me. Been doing LOTS of reading on the Evo and 4g64 forums.

Where was the radiator mounted and how was it oriented with the turbo 2.2?
+Quote Post
RJMII
post Jun 1 2009, 12:24 PM
Post #64

Jim McIntosh

John,

I've got the turn signal switch I pulled still... the cancelling part fell off. You can have it if you want it; maybe you can get enough pieces from this one to fix yours?

The radiator in the 2.2 turbo setup was parallel to the engine. The mount for it was incorporated into the engine bar. It was on the 'front' side of the engine. (front being the orientation of where front was when it was installed int he daytona) the radiator was out of a mid 90's dodge minivan. It fit perfect and they are easy to find. In the 914 it happened to be the driver side, and the turbo was on the battery/passenger side.

In the I4 car that you borrowed the 64 out of; as you are looking at the car from the front, is the transaxle on the pass side or the driver side?
+Quote Post
RockinOldSchool
post Jun 1 2009, 01:20 PM
Post #65

914 Junkie

Member No.: 6,562

QUOTE(RJMII @ Jun 1 2009, 09:24 AM) *

I've got the turn signal switch I pulled still... the cancelling part fell off. You can have it if you want it; maybe you can get enough pieces from this one to fix yours?

That'd be great! I'm not worried about it cancelling, as the wheel I have has no cancellation ring. I'm used to just flicking it off manually after I turn. The stalk on mine snapped on both sides where it wraps around the steering column. And unfortunately JB Weld isn't strong enough to hold it. lol

QUOTE(RJMII @ Jun 1 2009, 09:24 AM) *

In the I4 car that you borrowed the 64 out of; as you are looking at the car from the front, is the transaxle on the pass side or the driver side?

I haven't sourced the 64 yet. My friend that's stationed in Italy had his Evo IX engine die on him right before he shipped. So he left it here and in return for installing a new engine in it for him, he's giving me the original engine and letting me drive the Evo til he comes back.

The head and valvetrain are fine, but the block and one of the rods are trashed. So I'm ripping the Mivec head off that and seeing if the crank can be salvaged as well.
I'm just in the research stage right now. The guy with the Evo mentioned that it's possible to use the 63 Mivec head on the 64 and that it just isn't done often. He said the biggest concerns are making sure the oil pathways are there to feed the head for the Mivec control and the CR if I want to turbo it (stock 4g64 CR is 10:1, definitely too high).
+Quote Post
RJMII
post Jun 1 2009, 11:39 PM
Post #66

Jim McIntosh

Ah, with that Evo engine you are going to end up with your turbo on the driver side, and the intake on the passenger side.

send me your mailing address. =o) I've got to ship some parts out this week anyways.
+Quote Post
RJMII
post Jun 2 2009, 01:49 AM
Post #67

Jim McIntosh

progress picture number one from today.

spaghetti!

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
RJMII
post Jun 2 2009, 01:51 AM
Post #68

Jim McIntosh

Progress pic number two today!

all taped up and routed nicely. the majority of the wires are going to be hidden by the intake plenum.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
mojorisen914
post Jun 2 2009, 02:47 AM
Post #69

Visit your local strip club

Member No.: 6,403
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

It's about damn time you got out there and did something on the car (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif)

It's coming together nicely, Jim. I landed in KY Monday morning. I'll give you a call sometime Tuesday.

+Quote Post
RJMII
post Jun 2 2009, 02:52 AM
Post #70

Jim McIntosh

QUOTE(mojorisen914 @ Jun 2 2009, 02:47 AM) *

It's about damn time you got out there and did something on the car (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif)

It's coming together nicely, Jim. I landed in KY Monday morning. I'll give you a call sometime Tuesday.

Yeah, no kidding!

I've spent the past 4 or 5 days (minus Sunday) out in my dad's shop. Tonight my mom wandered out to the shop and said something to the effect of "You've been working on your car a lot, and doing a lot of other stuff, you must be feeling better."

It sure feels good to have recovered enough from that last surgery to finally get out there and do something.

... try to call around noon my time. =o)
+Quote Post
RJMII
post Jun 4 2009, 03:22 PM
Post #71

Jim McIntosh

test fitting the exhaust. hmm...

straight out, or pay a little extra and have it come out on the driver side...

hmm...

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
RJMII
post Jun 4 2009, 03:39 PM
Post #72

Jim McIntosh

I'm test fitting the radiator...

trying to get it at the correct angle for just in case I come across a front sway bar setup for cheap. I don't want to run interference between the two.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
6freak
post Jun 4 2009, 03:44 PM
Post #73

MR.C

QUOTE(RJMII @ Jun 4 2009, 02:22 PM) *

test fitting the exhaust. hmm...

straight out, or pay a little extra and have it come out on the driver side...

hmm...

That tail pipes gonna scrape ...Wow thats low (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) keep up the good work
+Quote Post
JRust
post Jun 4 2009, 05:00 PM
Post #74

914 Guru

Member No.: 129

"I'm test fitting the radiator...
trying to get it at the correct angle for just in case I come across a front sway bar setup for cheap. I don't want to run interference between the two"

Dude the front sway bar setup goes under your gas tank & thru. Your radiator won't get in the way of that at all. Unless you do some weird aftermarket sway bar I guess (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
RJMII
post Jun 4 2009, 06:41 PM
Post #75

Jim McIntosh

6freak/Mike...

here is another angle. The exhaust is actually higher up than the floor pan and engine mount. =o) if it scrapes, I'm in deep...

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
RJMII
post Jun 4 2009, 06:43 PM
Post #76

Jim McIntosh

Time to go put this on...

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
dkjens
post Jun 4 2009, 07:05 PM
Post #77

Member No.: 9,785

A friend of mine had a Mitsubishi GT3000 (regular non turbo 2-wheel drive). It got up and moved pretty nicely and I often thought it a viable project to install engine and transmission complete in a 914. The tranny worked great and the gearing was nice.
This looks nice, keeping my eyes on this thread.
+Quote Post
RJMII
post Jun 4 2009, 08:57 PM
Post #78

Jim McIntosh

working on bumper fitment...

This thing was a pain to align with rusty bolts. I'm going for new ones tomorrow, and trimming the 76 bumper edges off so the chrome one will fit. =o)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
RJMII
post Jun 4 2009, 09:13 PM
Post #79

Jim McIntosh

QUOTE(dkjens @ Jun 4 2009, 07:05 PM) *

A friend of mine had a Mitsubishi GT3000 (regular non turbo 2-wheel drive). It got up and moved pretty nicely and I often thought it a viable project to install engine and transmission complete in a 914. The tranny worked great and the gearing was nice.
This looks nice, keeping my eyes on this thread.

Thanks!

Once I get this all configured, I'll probably start drooling over the twin turbo VR4 engines. not that the transaxle will handle it...
I'm working on a website for Dr Evil; one of the features I'm programming into it is a gear ratio calculator so I can put my power band in and figure out which ratios I want.
+Quote Post
6freak
post Jun 5 2009, 08:57 AM
Post #80

MR.C

QUOTE(RJMII @ Jun 4 2009, 05:41 PM) *

6freak/Mike...

here is another angle. The exhaust is actually higher up than the floor pan and engine mount. =o) if it scrapes, I'm in deep...

that looks better ...Maybe not as low as that other pix made it look (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

OK i will give you the green lite on that you may continue (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) ...only 10 months tell WCR
+Quote Post

10 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd May 2024 - 03:13 PM