Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: the sinister urge
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
RJMII
I'm starting to re-assemble my car.
Root_Werks
You'll run into 100+ things you'll need while putting it all back together. Most of what you listed is easy stuff to get thankfully. Post some pics for us! smile.gif
RJMII
What it looked like when I traded my Toyota 4Runner for it. I traded some dude in Colorado straight across. we met in Douglas, WY and checked each others' rides out. We liked what we saw, handed each other the signed and clean titles, and drove away happy. Well, I drove away happy. =o) I'm going to just figure he stayed happy, he didn't come looking for me.

RJMII
my parts car:
Click to view attachment

Working over the front suspension to go with the 911 SC brakes and boxster wheels:
Click to view attachment

H4 Headlight HID conversion:
Click to view attachment

Working over the rear suspension with the Koni yellows:
Click to view attachment
RJMII
Rear wheel on with 1" spacer. going to go with maybe 1/8" spacers and beating my fender witha baseball bat. (actually going to use ahdoman's suggestion, thanks again Steve!)
Click to view attachment
IPB Image

Getting the engine ready... building mounts, bolting to transaxle etc:

Click to view attachment
IPB Image

Toying with the idea of a turbo:

IPB Image

Getting the 1.7 drivetrain next to the v-6 drivetrain for some measurements to build the engine mounts:

Click to view attachment
IPB Image
RJMII
car in the shop now:

IPB Image

easier than the tranny jack:

IPB Image

Sawzall did its job:

IPB Image
RJMII
I just like the way it looks in there:
IPB Image

turbo and all... (notice I switched from the Garrett T4 to the Mitsu TD05-BIG 16G turbo)
IPB Image
IPB Image
RJMII
2.5 inch mandrel bent exhaust pieces for intake plumbing and exhaust plumbing...

IPB Image

This is the wastegate/turbo outlet plate. the 2.5 inche exhaust pipe fits quite nicely coming out of there.

IPB Image

not to mention the throttle body is 2.5 inches diameter also... not restrictions between the turbo and throttle body, that's for sure.

IPB Image
RJMII
so... right now I'm at the point of going to get the cherry picker again with my bro, and cutting that engine shelf out of there and putting all of the useful stuff back in... in functional form! test fitting is about done, now it's the finite wiring and plumbing to do.

the radiator is going right next to the engine. It worked for my other turbo project while I was in Laramie going to school, only this time we're going with the blow through fans, and a sucker fan to get air to flow up and out of the engine lid when sitting and idling. (not that I plan any stops like that in this car...)
SGB
Um...
Good start! Jeeez-pers. smile.gif

beerchug.gif
echocanyons
Cool Project!

I stopped in Worland several years back and was super suprised to see a 914 in the showroom of.....hmmm.....I forget maybe an electronics or car audio store.

If I remember right, the store was on a main street or something.

You don't remember thhat do you, or maybe it was your car, there can't be too many 914's in that town.

RJMII
I found a picture of the engine mount being fitted:

IPB Image

see? I'm wanting to disassemble and paint all of the bare metal stuff, make it look nice. =o)
RJMII
QUOTE(echocanyons @ Nov 3 2008, 09:17 PM) *

Cool Project!

I stopped in Worland several years back and was super suprised to see a 914 in the showroom of.....hmmm.....I forget maybe an electronics or car audio store.

If I remember right, the store was on a main street or something.

You don't remember thhat do you, or maybe it was your car, there can't be too many 914's in that town.

YES! I remember that. LOL My dad and I blocked off mainstreet to back the trailer up. We rolled the car through those double doors.
My friend James was in charge of the display and he wanted a car that would fit between the doors. We built up an extension for the window and set the car up into the window, then loaded the front trunk with car stereo stuff. That was my first 914 Turbo project... poor thing had rust so bad, and I had no idea how to fix it. Kevin down in CO bought the remains of it from me and took a sawzall to it. (this was after we'd turbo'd it and were starting to have fun) it had that acid drip finish to the rear suspension console, hell hole, longs, etc... and I needed $$ for school.

I should go talk to Dan and see if he wants to do that again this year. lol (Dan = owner of Hedge Music)
RJMII
and... what I get to the machine shop with while working on the 914:

IPB Image

72mpg parts hauler. =o) (as long as the parts aren't heavy)
RJMII
I was doing some engine work today.

If you notice in an above picture how the throttle body is right smack dab in the middle of the roof line (when stored in the trunk); you'll see why I did this morning's bit of work. =o)

Picture one:

the symmetry of the lower intake seems as it could easily be turned around.

IPB Image

Look at the layout of those holes. ahhh... makes me wonder if the heads are identical.

IPB Image

Now, were you paying attention?
compare the first picture with this one. see the cam pulley orientation?

IPB Image

RJMII
Here it is with a test fit, to see where that TB ends up being.

IPB Image

See the yellow circle?

IPB Image

Wuallah! Now it's over there...

IPB Image

RJMII
And here it is, with the top half back on and the oil filler cap out from underneath the intake. (it makes it easier to top off with the oil if I don't have to pull the upper intake every time I check my oil...)

IPB Image

front view:

IPB Image
andys
RJMII,

What V6 motor is that?

Andys
RJMII
mitsubishi 6G73. 2.5 liter V-6 SOHC 24 valves; and now getting turbo'd. =o)
RJMII
I got the engine back in; here are the results. =o(

IPB Image

It doesn't quite fit.

IPB Image

RJMII
The piece of metal across the top of the firewall;

Is it structural? Can I trim it to make room for the my throttle control lever?
Solo914
QUOTE(RJMII @ Feb 18 2009, 07:02 PM) *

Nope, but that is where the engine compartment front seal attaches.

Kyle
RJMII
QUOTE(Solo914 @ Feb 18 2009, 08:40 PM) *

Nope, but that is where the engine compartment front seal attaches.

Kyle

I don't recall pulling a front seal from there. Would anyone happen to have a picture?

I'm planning on going with a full grate style engine lid, and I don't recall the front seal...
rick 918-S

I cut mine. Just box it back in. It will be fine. This is the best picture I could find. If you look close you can see the cut out and rounded corners.
RJMII
Starting to look like a water cooled conversion...

Got the dirty old radiator in there for fitment. =o)
RJMII
I had my favorite machinist cut and weld the intake manifold. Now I need to modify the throttle lever a little, and it looks like it will work.

It's incredibly tight, but it will work.
schreiber
Helluva build thread. Keep up the good work!
Zardozz
That's almost as crazy plumbing as mine. I'm impressed, keep it going.
RJMII
downpipe from turbo to exhaust...
RJMII
The engine is back out of the car, also. Time to put a dimple for the throttle lever, run some turbo lube and coolant lines, and get the down pipe situated a little bit better. The welder/machinist/fabricator did the build w/out the car present and got it off by just enough that we need to tweak it.

the shift bushings are in, too. =o)
RJMII
Transmission mounts. stock ones. I was under my car!
RJMII
Transmission mounts... 911 sport units. Twenty minutes later. What can I say? It's tough to get off the creeper to get stuff that I left on top of the car. lol

Thanks Felix! (Neo9146)

RJMII
Slowly getting there. =o) The downpipe needs tweaked a little to fit right. It was built without the car present and the fabricator got it close.. almost perfect, but not quite.
RJMII
sawzall-smiley.gif

Back ugly bumper off. anyone want to buy it? it's in good condition, but it's still a 76 bumper.

I've got a pair of Chrome ones on my 73 parts car. =o)

the front one is off, too... but that part of the shop wasn't lit enough to get a picture with my cell phone.
RJMII
sawzall-smiley.gif ---> that's going to get some holes sometime SOON. woot! airflow for cooler engine temps.

The pic is still dark... I suppose I could open photoshop, but it's been a long day. I just want to put my feet up in about 3 posts and watch some TV.
RJMII
every 914 owners dream... an empty jackstand. =o)

lol-2.gif

Hopefully I'll get pics of the blue ones under the car into this situation soon, too!
RJMII
Starting fitment of the plumbing between the turbo and the throttle body.
RJMII
Slowly getting there. The Orange reducer is hiding a bad angle... this is getting fixed.
RJMII
better angle...

If you look at the orange, the pipe that is inside there coming off of the turbo points away from the engine a little bit more. The other U-tube that is getting cut tomorrow will remedy that awkward airflow pattern and smooth things out a bit.

The black tube between the throttle body and that first curve was quite a find, too! It fits perfect and will work great with the location of the throttle body in relation to the firewall.
RJMII
I scored a set of 360cc injectors. These are stock injectors from a 3000GT VR4.

Top one is the old one (180cc, IIRC)
bottom one is VR4 injector. 360cc.
RJMII
...and installed in the fuel rail and lower intake.
RJMII
got the angle fixed for the pipe between the turbo and throttle body; and started fabbing up the air filter side of the turbo.
JRust
Looking good Jim! Keep up the good work
nsr-jamie
Wow ! That is cool !! Now I know what you are working on, cool !! That is going to be one cool car when you get it all done. Also the first time I have seen a conversion like that.

Glad you got those injectors too.

Cheers drunk.gif beer.gif beer.gif beerchug.gif
dlo914
Not going to run an intercooler?
RJMII
Daniel, the plan is to go with a water to air intercooler after I get the car running. I can go up to 7psi before needing an intercooler, so getting it running first, then going to add the I/C.

Frozen boost has one that has 2.5" I/O and does a 90 degree turn. It will get placed in there on top of that valve cover and I'll reconfigure the piping then. Probably later this summer after I get working again now that the semester is over and I'm done with surgeries.
RJMII
I got the air filter, and the silicone connector for the cold air intake to mount to the turbo.

The cooling lines are now run to the turbo.

Currently the engine is dangling in the air with the oil pan off so we can poke a hole in the side of it for oil return line from the turbo.

Also today 10 foot of Green stripe 1.25" hose showed up via UPS. (Thank you, Jamie Rust!)

The hose fits rather tightly on my connection points at the engine, and I'm thinking (hoping) that since the engine and radiator both came out of the same vehicle, they'll fit about the same at the radiator end.
RJMII
Here's a hole in the oil pan for the oil return line from the turbo.
RJMII
Oil return line installed. (It needs reconfigured a little, though)
RJMII
Oil feed line installed. =o) all of the shiny copper pieces on the hydraulic line that go to the hard line. The return line is also visible in this shot.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.