Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> how do you remove front targa roll bar pad?
rfuerst911sc
post Nov 8 2008, 01:41 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,980
Region Association: South East States

I'm getting my car stripped down to get ready for paint (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) Today I removed the targa roof and removed all the side weatherstripping and pads on the targa bar and removed the back glass. But when I went to remove the front targa pad I couldn't get it off (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) I removed 10 ( I think ) screw caps 5 on the bottom and 5 on the front. I then removed 5 screws on the bottom but couldn't seem to get a phillips screwdriver to engage the screws in the front of the pad. Are there phillips screws in there? I assume the pad comes off and the rear targa latches stay in place?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Nov 8 2008, 01:48 PM
Post #2

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,696
Region Association: None

Nobody ever said that they installed the screws in line with the holes (and usually don't). Sometimes you have to fish.

There are also a couple of screws that hold the targa latch cover in place but I can't remember if they would interfere with removal of the targa bolster.
+Quote Post
dgw
post Nov 8 2008, 03:28 PM
Post #3

Dennis Winter

Member No.: 106
Region Association: Northern California

I used a lot of four letter words, and walked away from the job several times to avoid destroying the pad.

Like slits says, you have to fish around.
+Quote Post
rfuerst911sc
post Nov 9 2008, 06:00 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Thanks guys.
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Nov 9 2008, 11:58 AM
Post #5

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(SLITS @ Nov 8 2008, 11:48 AM) *
There are also a couple of screws that hold the targa latch cover in place but I can't remember if they would interfere with removal of the targa bolster.

I recall from when we tore the parts off of Jenny's orange car, there is one little screw in that well for the targa latches, and it does keep the pad from coming off.

And yeah, it's a pain to locate all of the screw-heads...

--DD
+Quote Post
rfuerst911sc
post Nov 9 2008, 02:12 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Well the good news is I got the pad off (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) The bad news is it is now toast (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) It wasn't in great shape to begin with and some angry twisting,swearing didn't help it any (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) So I guess I now need another (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) That will wait until after the repaint. I think when I do get another pad I may slide some small tubes in the holes and clean out any foam that is obstructing the view of the screwheads. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Lou W
post Nov 9 2008, 02:46 PM
Post #7

"Here Kitty Kitty" my ass......

Member No.: 2,039
Region Association: Spain

QUOTE(rfuerst911sc @ Nov 9 2008, 02:12 PM) *

Well the good news is I got the pad off (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) The bad news is it is now toast (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) It wasn't in great shape to begin with and some angry twisting,swearing didn't help it any (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) So I guess I now need another (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) That will wait until after the repaint. I think when I do get another pad I may slide some small tubes in the holes and clean out any foam that is obstructing the view of the screwheads. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

That's how I got mine off too. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif)
+Quote Post
Todd Enlund
post Nov 9 2008, 02:53 PM
Post #8

Resident Photoshop Guru

Member No.: 8,032
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Plasma cutter.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th May 2024 - 05:07 AM