Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Stock Six Heat, what are the differences between a 4 & a 6?
Johny Blackstain
post Nov 9 2008, 10:31 AM
Post #1

Walnut Elite Stratocaster player

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,318
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

So I'm freezing my **s off driving the six now & need to put heat back into her. Trouble is, it was all yanked out by a previous owner, when the 2.7 was plopped in. I started a thread in the garage about stainless steel heat exchangers & decided I like the British Hayward & Scott ones best. However, in speaking w/ George @ AA he informed me that the six does not have a fan like the four, the six uses the main engine fan to flow air into the cabin. I have a very unmolested system in the LE but apparantly that does me no good in trying to piece together a "stock" system for the six. My questions are how does the heating system differ between the four & the six? I've got 2 new orange hoses, 2 new flapper boxes, am waiting on my order from Hayward & Scott. What else do I need? Anyone got a diagram of a stock six heating system? In depth photos?

Thanks.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Nov 9 2008, 04:08 PM
Post #2

Walnut Elite Stratocaster player

Member No.: 7,318
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I posted this here because I wanted an example of a stock six heating system. Might have been a mistake- perhaps an Admin can move it to the garage?

Thanks
+Quote Post
mskala
post Nov 10 2008, 11:42 AM
Post #3

R

Member No.: 79
Region Association: None

Not much to see under the car. Flappers have cables, and two appropriate-length hoses on each side, one goes to tunnel, one goes through sheet metal to engine
fan. That's all. Mines not hooked up now (got to fix all the oil leaks first), but it will
blow your hair around from force coming through the windshield vents at 6000 rpm.
+Quote Post
davep
post Nov 10 2008, 09:19 PM
Post #4

914 Historian

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,244
Region Association: Canada

Try this link to Pelican's page:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopca..._EXHhtr_pg1.htm
On the left is a link to the parts catalog that downloads the factory parts catalog PDF. Use it to see every part. The 914/6 valves are not the same as the 914/4 BTW.
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Nov 10 2008, 09:26 PM
Post #5

Do I or don't I...........?

Member No.: 5,765
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Nov 9 2008, 11:31 AM) *

So I'm freezing my **s off driving the six now & need to put heat back into her. Trouble is, it was all yanked out by a previous owner, when the 2.7 was plopped in. I started a thread in the garage about stainless steel heat exchangers & decided I like the British Hayward & Scott ones best. However, in speaking w/ George @ AA he informed me that the six does not have a fan like the four, the six uses the main engine fan to flow air into the cabin. I have a very unmolested system in the LE but apparantly that does me no good in trying to piece together a "stock" system for the six. My questions are how does the heating system differ between the four & the six? I've got 2 new orange hoses, 2 new flapper boxes, am waiting on my order from Hayward & Scott. What else do I need? Anyone got a diagram of a stock six heating system? In depth photos?

Thanks.

Al,

I know nothing of the HE's you described, but if they have a forward outlet from the jackets you should be able to get heat to the cabin. You'll need those flappers & hoses (assuming they fit these HE's). You'll also need a cable system to open & close the flappers, else you'll be stuck in a semi-permanent "heat-on" or "heat off" position.

Early sixes did not have a separate fan to drive heat to the cabin. It was done strictly by engine rpm's. You could retrofit a 4 banger blower, but I can't imagine where you'd mount it, or how to get the plumbing problems worked out.

I'm sure that there are plenty of others who've dealt with this problem with a 2.7.

Maybe you should have moved the post to the Garage. To my knowledge, there are no moderator(s) for this forum & the topic ain't exactly originality-related.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th May 2024 - 12:59 PM