Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Is it safe for children?
blonde914
post Feb 11 2004, 03:51 PM
Post #1

SHERRY

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,630

Big discussion this morning over talk radio and putting your kids in the front seat of the car. Even with car seats and seat belts it is the air bag that is the big issue right, besides the weight and height restrictions for seatbelts? Do you take your children in your 914's, and do you think it is safe. Everyone gave me a hard time because I take my youngest in the 914 with me. We use her booster seat and the new seat belts. In our other cars she is always in the back seat because of air bags ect... I don't drive the same when she or any one else is in the 914 with me, I am slow and law abiding. Do you take your kids out in the cars and do you think they are safe. Are there any statistics for these cars and saftey? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving-girl.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(20 - 39)
Howard
post Feb 11 2004, 06:45 PM
Post #21

Incontin(g)ent Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 943
Region Association: None

Old Fart reaction. My first trip across country with my mom was standing up on the front seat. Seat belt equivalent was her right arm. Oh, we were living in New York, and moving to California, so mom never had a license. The dealer advised her to drive across country and learn, so she wouldn't have any problem passing the driver's test when she got out west.

I should be dead (leaded paint, no car seats, park swings without safety belts) but what the hell, Orville and Wilbur never got their pilot's licenses, so it must be OK. Terms like OSHA, product liability, contributory negligence were years away.

Here is a picture of why I'm glad I survived. Samantha, my 5 year old grand daughter in my 914 (oops, granpa's go cart). Full cage, 5 point belts going around an approved car seat, yet I am scared to take her out in the car. Or any car, for that matter.

I feel better taking her in my SUV, but she doesn't. One of my previous rides was a self propelled 155mm Howitzer. I'd feel even better taking her in that, but the army made me give it back

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Feb 11 2004, 06:52 PM
Post #22

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431
Region Association: Southwest Region

It's amazing and dissappointing to see how over protective our society has become.

I'm tired of people telling me what is and isn't "right" because that's what they heard from another just-as-ignorant person. When is society going to stop being a spoon fed baby?

Be happy I deleted the rest...

Oh, to answer your question, it's as safe as you feel it is. Only you can create the would you interact in.

Chris
+Quote Post
RocknRollFrenzy
post Feb 11 2004, 06:54 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 1,305

take away the airbag concerns, and i don't think there's going to be to much difference between front and rear seat safety.......as for side impact safety, i just figure i'm a gonner and try not to worry about it......my 914's been lowered a bit......if i get t-boned by a big suv/truck its going over the top of my door and straight into my head........just gotta watch where you're going.......sorta like riding a bike.......and don't plan on ever giving up either........
+Quote Post
LS6/914
post Feb 11 2004, 07:14 PM
Post #24

Never leaves the shop member

Member No.: 1,215
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I have had both of my daughters in all of the various cars we have had through the years. They have been in Lotus Super 7, GT350, 300ZX TT, Comp eliminator Fords. It is part of their understanding of who dad is & I wouldnt change it.
+Quote Post
si2t3m
post Feb 11 2004, 07:41 PM
Post #25

914 addict

Member No.: 119

Same as above. ''It's as safe as you feel it is. Only you can create the world you interact in.''

I drive around with both of my kids (now 8 and 6 years old) in my 70 with no side impact beams in the door. Yes i'm concerned about there safety and I drive the car in consequence.

The enjoy the 914 so much. Must be being next to the driver.

Remember the 70... No Childseat, no one would wear seatbelts, kids running around on the back seat... Dad drinking a cold one while driving to grandpa's...

I still see kids loose on the back seat these days. This gets me mad. I probably get other people mad because i drive the 914 with the kids as passengers...

My wife feels ok about it and so do I and the kids love it. It's one of those great moments when i pick up the kids after class or go for a drive with one or both of them.

Marc-André
+Quote Post
fraggle00
post Feb 11 2004, 09:32 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 1,202

This should fix the issue. A little spendy, but I know I'm going to get one as soon as my new baby is big enough (currently s/he is -8 months old!!)

Recaro Child Seat
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Feb 11 2004, 09:58 PM
Post #27

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

QUOTE(blonde914 @ Feb 11 2004, 04:10 PM)

Rich, Are you nuts! 5 people in your car!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool_shades.gif) You have to ask? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
red914
post Feb 11 2004, 10:09 PM
Post #28

...i believe in coyotes and time as an abstract...

Member No.: 1,641

nice to see that other children are claiming the 914 beofre their parents are gone. i've only had my three in the little red car one at a time, but they all love it. as has been said before, but probably can't be said too often, driving very aware and on the defense is the best plan. small, but agile gives us a good advantage. oh, and steer clear of angry people in large vehicles screaming into their cell phones.
+Quote Post
GaroldShaffer
post Feb 11 2004, 10:14 PM
Post #29

You bought another 914?

Member No.: 865

Sorry to pick on you for this, but.....

YOU NEED TO BE MORE AWARE ALL THE TIME.

Not being aware is not an option. When you are driving your 2 ton truck "not being aware" is when you are going to hit another club member and kill his/her kid.

Weather you are driving a truck or a 914 - pay attention to the road, and what is going on around you. When you are driving a larger vehicle, you are far more likely to kill other people, if not yourself.

That is what I ment. I use to drive 150 miles round trip to work and back every day for 7 + years. I know very well what happens when people don't pay attention, I seen it every day on I94 & 290 here in Chicagoland. I guess I didn't come across they way I wanted to. Bottom Line, pay attention.

- Garold
+Quote Post
Air_Cooled_Nut
post Feb 11 2004, 10:32 PM
Post #30

914 Ronin - 914 owner who lost his 914club.com

Member No.: 584

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Feb 11 2004, 03:18 PM)
...The 914 has very large crumple zones front and rear; much larger than just about any other contemporary sports car...

I can personally attest to their frontal crash worthyness! The below is a 30-mph hit into a brick retaining wall, centered mostly on the left side of the bumper.

(IMG:http://www.icbm.org/erkson/personal/sides.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.icbm.org/erkson/personal/ends.jpg)

Both doors had the same gap and worked PERFECTLY!. The break-away tranny mounts didn't help much with towing her onto the flatbed (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
scotty
post Feb 11 2004, 11:17 PM
Post #31

The Fun Never Stops

Member No.: 718

Heck, even the lights still work!
+Quote Post
Rich Bontempi
post Feb 11 2004, 11:30 PM
Post #32

914 Road Racer

Member No.: 239
Region Association: Northern California

My 6 year old daughter Loves to ride in my 914's, (as do I). And although I'm more careful driving when she is in the car, life is way too short and you can't worry about everything. Otherwise we wouldn't have any fun. Some people worry about everything and don't enjoy life enough (In my humble opinion). And as I have said for 30 years, If I only could have one car, it would be a 914!!
+Quote Post
GWN7
post Feb 12 2004, 12:07 AM
Post #33

King of Road Trips

Member No.: 56
Region Association: Northstar Region

Child car seats are designed for the height and weight of each child. At certain weights/heights each manufacture changes where and how the seats should be instaled in a car and to add to this confusion, it changes with each model of seat manufactured by each manufacture. (We do car seat inspections at work)

If you don't over drive the road and look out for the guy who isn't, put your child in the seat and enjoy life.

Mine dosen't want my 914 , he has his own. But he wants my V8 car when I get it done. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
blonde914
post Feb 12 2004, 07:50 AM
Post #34

SHERRY

I seen it every day on I94 & 290 here in Chicagoland.  I guess I didn't come across they way I wanted to. Bottom Line, pay attention.
- Garold

I see it to on these roads in Chicagoland, actually driving the 914 this fall to Koonce Lake, IN I couldn't get over how small we were compared to the big rigs, I think I could have driven under them. I'm not sure what road we were on going there maybe it was 80, but the traffic was terrible and as soon as it started to rain everyone got stupid. The back roads made it all worth it with all the turns and dips, IT WAS GREAT! My car and no kids (Heaven). (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)
+Quote Post
mskala
post Feb 12 2004, 10:51 AM
Post #35

R

Member No.: 79

You pick your poison. Sure there are safety advances, some are for the driver
being a moron and some are for the OTHER drivers being morons. I prefer the
latter. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I don't think there's a huge amount of difference between the 914 and other
small more modern cars, until you get to stuff like side air bags and that. You
will be much better off when you are t-boned when your head doesn't do like
wile. e. coyote leaving his face impression in a shovel.

SUV owners think they're 'safe'. But it's a good bet that I won't be rolling
12 times in my 914 from any maneuver. The SUV seat belts will probably hold
them in for the first 180 degrees or so.
+Quote Post
post Feb 12 2004, 11:01 AM
Post #36

Member No.: 988

I agree with what most everyone is saying,

-My dad always used to tell me, make sure you have good tires and good brakes, I would also add, make sure your suspension, ball joints etc are all up to snuff, when properly set up and well maintained, the 914 gains a large safety margin because of how well it handles.

-on the other side, a poorly maintained 914 in addition to being 30+ years old, can be a very dangerous car because of failing brake and or suspension systems.

-Good friends of ours had just spoken with local police regarding this issue after they had had an officer install a child safety seat for them. The officer told them that the back seat is always the safest place, and basically spooked them out of ever placing the baby in the front, but I am pretty sure that this is an air-bag issue. pickup trucks built today (GM trucks I know do this as I owned one) have child safety seat latches built into the passenger side front seat...along with the air-bag shut off switch.
+Quote Post
Air_Cooled_Nut
post Feb 12 2004, 11:22 AM
Post #37

914 Ronin - 914 owner who lost his 914club.com

Member No.: 584

QUOTE(blonde914 @ Feb 12 2004, 05:50 AM)
... The back roads made it all worth it with all the turns and dips, IT WAS GREAT! My car and no kids (Heaven). (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)

A girl after my own heart (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)
+Quote Post
tat2dphreak
post Feb 12 2004, 11:31 AM
Post #38

stoya, stoya, stoya

Member No.: 792
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(7391420 @ Feb 12 2004, 12:01 PM)
-My dad always used to tell me, make sure you have good tires and good brakes, I would also add, make sure your suspension, ball joints etc are all up to snuff, when properly set up and well maintained, the 914 gains a large safety margin because of how well it handles.

my dad would agree... he says "it's more important to stop that go" stopping is always more important!
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Feb 12 2004, 02:04 PM
Post #39

rich herzog

Member No.: 513

kids should be in the back.

especially in a 914.

lay 'em in flat, there's room for a couple-three.

toasty warm in the winter time too.

[ DINK mode ]
+Quote Post
blonde914
post Feb 12 2004, 03:28 PM
Post #40

SHERRY

QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Feb 12 2004, 12:04 PM)
kids should be in the back.

especially in a 914.

lay 'em in flat, there's room for a couple-three.

toasty warm in the winter time too.

[ DINK mode ]

You are absolutely right, from now on all kids in the back! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving-girl.gif)
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th May 2024 - 05:03 AM