Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> KitCarlson EMS Poll, How many should I build ???
EdwardBlume
post Feb 16 2004, 08:39 AM
Post #61

914 Wizard

Group: Members
Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

Very interesting thread.

For the non-technical minded, what does the improved firing ranges accomplish? HP? What are some of the side effects? ie heat, wear, etc.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
KitCarlson
post Feb 16 2004, 08:51 AM
Post #62

Member No.: 1,052

Mark,

The resistor block is required to reduce the current on the low impedance (2.3 ohms) injectors. If the injectors are high impedance (16 ohms) the resistor block was used to help minimize variations of the battery voltage on injector open time. To be sure of the injector impedance, resistance can be measured with an ohm meter. It is also possible to use a driver, signal generator, scope, current shunt, and power supply to measure injector open time. The small change in inductance as the pintle moves can be viewed as a notch in the current waveform.

The KitCarlson EMS measures battery voltage, and compensates the injector time to eliminate variation of fuel delivery. Battery voltage is also a real-time item displayed on the communications interface. A similar compensation is done for the ignition coil charge timing (dwell).

Kit
+Quote Post
KitCarlson
post Feb 16 2004, 09:13 AM
Post #63

Member No.: 1,052

cavwpguy,
I assume the increased fire range is the in the ignition and fuel control.
For the ignition the coil charge duration should be sufficient to fully charge the coil prior to an ignition event. If the coil is over charged the coil hits saturation, current is limited by resistance in the circuit. Energy is wasted. This occurs at idle and low speed operation. At higher engine speeds the coil is under charged, resulting is less spark energy and potential misfires. The engine variation 900 rpm to 5600, is approximately 6x change in speed (time) however the dwell optimally should be nearly constant. For stock use, conventional systems work, and most do not feel or notice the difference. An 8 cylinder engine has a much greater problen than on a 4. 2x more sparks for same RPM.

On the fuel, for stock applications sufficient fuel exists. For higher HP requirements more fuel is available as required.
Kit
+Quote Post
Dominic
post Feb 16 2004, 12:04 PM
Post #64

Dominic

Member No.: 149
Region Association: Northern California

Here is a reasonable stand alone programmable engine management solution....

http://www.perfectpower.com/products/prs.asp

I'll be installing it on my 914 by the end of the year, but my car will not be in the stock D-jet F.I. configuration. I'm going to run Throttle Bodies and a crank fired ignition.

Just my $.02 on the CB performance TB set-up.....Its Junk, spend your money on a stand alone (programmable) engine management system and some Throttle Bodies from Jenvey or TWM. Trust me, You can thank me later.
+Quote Post
F4i
post Feb 16 2004, 12:12 PM
Post #65

914 DOG!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,460

Dominic
what are the costs for a setup like this on a 914
Kit
how does your setup compare to this one.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Feb 16 2004, 01:01 PM
Post #66

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(F4i @ Feb 16 2004, 10:12 AM)
Dominic
what are the costs for a setup like this on a 914
Kit
how does your setup compare to this one.

Dominic, this is Kits thread and he's trying to make the best 914 replacment system available. So you might want to start your own thead, on the costs and merits of the other systems.
I'm not trying to be a dick, just he's putting a lot of effort into making this work.

Dylan, with the install of all the other systems the crank-fire set-up is a total bitch. It took me a weekend to fab mine and I have a fairly complete machine shop. I'm still not 100% happy with it and may do it over.
Any other system, if you don't have a shop, the crank-fire mount WILL cost you extra!
It's custom so most shops will charge you by the hour!
+Quote Post
F4i
post Feb 16 2004, 01:25 PM
Post #67

914 DOG!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,460

I was mostly wondering for cost comparison. I am most interested in Kits product and I enjoy supporting an entrepenure. You do bring up a good point about the crank fire. Most people are shying away from it. How do you like the sds as I said before the guys shop is a stones throw from my work. I have been there. I ask only because I would like to see the benifit of such a system. Not to steal kits thunder.
+Quote Post
Gary
post Feb 16 2004, 02:10 PM
Post #68

Member No.: 134
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Kit,

Depending on the price point, I'll likely be in the market for one for -6 in the next half year or year. I'm gonna get my -6 converted car back in the next couple months. It's currently a carbed 2.7L built closely according to the specs in Bruce Anderson's book: E cams and heads RS P/C's, 8.5:1 CR. Carbed it's supposed to be good for about 210HP. I have a carerra manifold, and am still looking for the TB (seem to be rare as hen's teeth). I was gonna go with a megasquirt, but we'll see if you're ready to go past the -4 in the next several months. I'd even be happy being a test mule. I was a EE in a prior life, as still have some techie skills. Having fuel and spark would be really cool.

Gary
+Quote Post

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd June 2024 - 05:56 AM