Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dang this time the arm won big time
LarryR
post Nov 16 2008, 06:47 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,604

Trying to get the axle nut off the drivers side was even worse! I was lifting the car off the ground with 8' of leverage and the little b*#& would not move. That must have been close to 1000# of pressure to lift the car. it even snapped the bolt that was in the middle of my jack handle... I am worn out but I guess the next manuver will be to have a couple friends over to sit in the trunk while I go for it... I soaked it 5x throughout the week with liquid wrench... thats one tough nut!

If that doesnt do it I guess I will just cut it off. Since I dont need the axle stubs that actually might be easier. I have taken axles out of many 911's and never had anything close to this amount of grief.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
DBCooper
post Nov 16 2008, 06:54 PM
Post #2

14's in the 13's with ATTITUDE

Member No.: 2,618
Region Association: Northern California

Sometimes a high-torque 3/4" impact wrench is the best trick. The impacts seem to break it loose better than just whole lots of torque from extensions. Places like a truck repair shop.
+Quote Post
LarryR
post Nov 16 2008, 07:18 PM
Post #3

I am guessing one of those 3/4" drive impact guns are pretty expensive.... I think my 1/2 drive was about 350.... Anyone in the bay area have one I could borrow for about 15 min?
+Quote Post
sean_v8_914
post Nov 16 2008, 07:28 PM
Post #4

Chingon 601

Member No.: 3,541

heat is your friend. put a torch on it. if you only have a small butane torch leave it on the nut for a complete song on the radio (3-4 min) or time it. most guys think its been long enough when only 30-40 seconds have passed. smack teh nut faces with a hammer while its hot. spit on it. if it sizzles, its ready.
+Quote Post
GaroldShaffer
post Nov 16 2008, 09:01 PM
Post #5

You bought another 914?

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 865
Region Association: None

QUOTE(sean_v8_914 @ Nov 16 2008, 05:28 PM) *

heat is your friend. put a torch on it. if you only have a small butane torch leave it on the nut for a complete song on the radio (3-4 min) or time it. most guys think its been long enough when only 30-40 seconds have passed. smack teh nut faces with a hammer while its hot. spit on it. if it sizzles, its ready.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Just did that today on a parts car works every time for me. YMMV (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Bartlett 914
post Nov 16 2008, 09:06 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,707
Region Association: Upper MidWest

A couple of weeks ago I broke both of my 1/2" breaker bars and the nut is still on!
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Nov 16 2008, 09:08 PM
Post #7

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

just did it myself no heat , smack the end with a heavy hammer, protect the stub with alum or brass should come right off, unless you have corrosion problems.
+Quote Post
LarryR
post Nov 16 2008, 10:12 PM
Post #8

Thanks for the suggestions .... I think I will try to heat it up. I did try smacking the socket with a 5# sledge both to try to turn it and to try to just break the tension.

I believe these have never been off the car as it has been sitting since '92. There is some corrosion on there but not a tremendous amount.

I was really freaking out when I saw the care come off the stand but then I kind of went with it and tried to give it a bounce.... After about 20 or 30 minutes of that I was warn out
+Quote Post
Joe Owensby
post Nov 16 2008, 10:34 PM
Post #9

JoeO

Member No.: 5,385
Region Association: South East States

I always put the torque arm on the side where it is pushing down on the car as opposed to pushing up. I just used a 1/2 inch socket with a piece of pipe about 4 feet long over the end of the bar to give some leverage. Jump on it a few times, off the nut comes.
+Quote Post
paroxysm
post Nov 16 2008, 11:03 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 1,888

I broke a breaker bar on mine as well, heat and an impact gun finally solved for me.
+Quote Post
biggy72
post Nov 16 2008, 11:50 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 5,418
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I know it makes some nasty fumes, but I like to heat it up and then hit it with liquid wrench just after I take the torch off. When the nut does come off you will be able to see that in doing this the liquid wrench will have soaked all the way in. If it doesn't work the first time I just keep doing it until it does.
+Quote Post
GaroldShaffer
post Nov 17 2008, 06:46 AM
Post #12

You bought another 914?

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 865

QUOTE(LarryR @ Nov 16 2008, 08:12 PM) *

I was really freaking out when I saw the care come off the stand but then I kind of went with it and tried to give it a bounce.... After about 20 or 30 minutes of that I was warn out

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) I always break these loose with the all 4 wheels on the ground (if possible). My steps are:

1) jack up car and remove tire
2) remove pin
3) put tire back on and lower car
4a) use socket and LOOONNNGGGGG bar and put my fat butt on it. (old way)
4b) I now use a craftsman 1/2 drive impact. (new way)

if it doesn't come loose then a shot or two of PB blaster let sit for a while, usually 1 hour then come back apply heat (small torch) for about 3 minutes and hit again with the impact. The real fun is once the nut is off hopefully it is not rusted fast in the hub. Lots of heat and a BIG (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)
+Quote Post
DBCooper
post Nov 17 2008, 07:18 AM
Post #13

14's in the 13's with ATTITUDE

Member No.: 2,618
Region Association: Northern California

Something to think about if you have limited access to tools. When you're putting them back on, if you don't have a big torque wrench the newer Craftsman 1/2" breaker bars seem to break somewhere around 300-350 ft lbs. It's kind of like a one time "clicker" feature, with free replacements down at Sears. Your experience may vary, as it probably will when Sears changes suppliers because they're getting lots of broken bars returned.
+Quote Post
Bartlett 914
post Nov 17 2008, 09:02 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,707
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(DBCooper @ Nov 17 2008, 07:18 AM) *

Craftsman 1/2" breaker bars seem to break somewhere around 300-350 ft lbs. It's kind of like a one time "clicker" feature, with free replacements down at Sears.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

That is how mine worked.
+Quote Post
McMark
post Nov 17 2008, 11:43 AM
Post #15

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

Larry, you can borrow my "Big Guns" if you come get them. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) And you can bring it back on Jan 1.
+Quote Post
Jeffs9146
post Nov 17 2008, 12:26 PM
Post #16

Ski Bum

Member No.: 128

You can rent a 3/4" at PepBoys, Kraigen or most hardware stores!
+Quote Post
LarryR
post Nov 17 2008, 10:40 PM
Post #17

QUOTE(McMark @ Nov 17 2008, 09:43 AM) *

Larry, you can borrow my "Big Guns" if you come get them. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) And you can bring it back on Jan 1.

Hey thanks Mark! I have a McGiver plan that I am going to try next but if that does not work I will take you up on that....

Now dont laugh guys but here is the plan... I am going to wheel my engine hoist over to the car and use it to lift the jack handle that is attached to the break over bar. Once the car is up in the air again I am going to take my fat arse over to the car and bounce on the back bumper... As goofy as it sounds I think its got to work (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

My legs are so soar today I can barely walk from squating the weight of the car so I figure why not let the hoist do the heavy lifting (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Nov 17 2008, 11:08 PM
Post #18

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I see this ending in a Darwin award, be careful. I would try other means first, and never levitate the car.
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Nov 17 2008, 11:10 PM
Post #19

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Now dont laugh guys but here is the plan... I am going to wheel my engine hoist over to the car and use it to lift the jack handle that is attached to the break over bar. Once the car is up in the air again I am going to take the foil from a stick of chewing gum and make a contact point between the battery terminal and ground. The resulting spark will slowly wither it's way up the pull chord for the lamp in the garage. The bulb will be filled with gasoline and when the lamp chord ignites the gasoline, a fairly large explosion will result and a 55 gallon drum of taconite will fall from the rafters into the waiting trunk of the 914 which has been strategicially placed below... As goofy as it sounds I think its got to work

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Nov 17 2008, 11:17 PM
Post #20

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(LarryR @ Nov 17 2008, 11:40 PM) *

QUOTE(McMark @ Nov 17 2008, 09:43 AM) *

Hey thanks Mark! I have a McGiver plan that I am going to try next but if that does not work I will take you up on that....

Now dont laugh guys but here is the plan... I am going to wheel my engine hoist over to the car and use it to lift the jack handle that is attached to the break over bar. Once the car is up in the air again I am going to take my fat arse over to the car and bounce on the back bumper... As goofy as it sounds I think its got to work (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

My legs are so soar today I can barely walk from squating the weight of the car so I figure why not let the hoist do the heavy lifting (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)

You have health insurance, right?

Get in your other car....go to McMarks place...borrow his big gun...get it done safely.

The other option (I dont know your cars current running condition) is to take the car to any local mechanics shop...they all have big 3/4 inch and 1 inch guns..
Bring your socket.
Have them use the gun to loosen the nut right on the ground...then tighten it by hand to 150 and drive home..its fine at 150 for a few miles...geez.
That is safe, and its cheap...
You prep the car, remove the pin, put tire back on.
they just walk out and go wadadadada and its done.
Typically its under 10 bucks for that service.

Rich
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th May 2024 - 02:58 AM