Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How to make a stock 914-6 even better-
carcam
post Nov 27 2008, 09:08 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,334
Region Association: South East States

I have a perfect 914-6 that is a great car. In 1970 it was incredible. I am tempted, as have others for 38+ years to make it a little better... I want to keep it looking stock but perform better. I know I could do exhaustive searches and learn all the tricks and upgrades and I have bought all the books but I want to know what you, the forum members would do. Keep it stock and do nothing, upgrade...--- ignition, cylinders, pmo's, suspension...

I'd like to lower the front end to look better but I suspect it adversely affects handling. My 2 L engine has been upgraded to 2.2 L w solex cams and it runs good but not great. But looking at it and it looks stock. And it shifts well. What about MSD, ignition upgrades, pmo's.

This is a wonderful forum, without it I couldn't have got such an old car since nobody around here even knows what it is and I'm not on the same level, mechanically as most of you.

Thanks!

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Nov 27 2008, 09:24 PM
Post #2

Do I or don't I...........?

Member No.: 5,765
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(carcam @ Nov 27 2008, 10:08 PM) *

I have a perfect 914-6 that is a great car. In 1970 it was incredible. I am tempted, as have others for 38+ years to make it a little better... I want to keep it looking stock but perform better. I know I could do exhaustive searches and learn all the tricks and upgrades and I have bought all the books but I want to know what you, the forum members would do. Keep it stock and do nothing, upgrade...--- ignition, cylinders, pmo's, suspension...

I'd like to lower the front end to look better but I suspect it adversely affects handling. My 2 L engine has been upgraded to 2.2 L w solex cams and it runs good but not great. But looking at it and it looks stock. And it shifts well. What about MSD, ignition upgrades, pmo's.

This is a wonderful forum, without it I couldn't have got such an old car since nobody around here even knows what it is and I'm not on the same level, mechanically as most of you.

Thanks!

Very, very nice looking six!

I can't tell exactly from the pic, but it looks like it already has been lowered. If it hasn't, I would lower it a half inch, and bump steer it. It will handle a lot better. I'd also put a good front bar on it. Some will say that a rear bar is also necessary, and they may be correct. I have found that, for my driving, lowering it bumping it are adequate.

Your six is too nice to screw with. I wouldn't touch the mechanicals - $$$$$ loss.

Of course, these are the opinions of a profound CW.

BTW, nice beater underneath! Nice garage too!
Pat
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Nov 27 2008, 09:31 PM
Post #3

Custom Member

Member No.: 124

Looking at your garage, I would suggest you pull the motor, put it in dry storage to keep it safe.

Go hunt down a 3.2 liter or a 3.0 liter....run it with carbs so you dont need to change any wiring in the car and enjoy all the new power. Get a good motor guy to take the new motor, get it pushing at least 200hp...

now you will have 200hp in a 2000lb car.

Rich
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Nov 27 2008, 09:43 PM
Post #4

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104
Region Association: None

An Adriatic Blue /6 w/Gasburners? Is this for real or a dream? Thats the best of the best my friend. Most can only aspire to that level, you can reach no higher plateau in the 914 universe, it does not exist.

All jesting aside, that such a rare car the only thing that could make it better is to take it back to as close to original as possible and baby it. I would mount the original triple Webers at least and resist the temptation of anything else. It will never be the roadrocket sitting beneath it, so don't try to make it into one...just enjoy it for what it is, any attempted 'improvements' will be negative.

You have the garage toys stored in their proper order of importance...(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
1970 Neun vierzehn
post Nov 27 2008, 10:04 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,727

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Nov 27 2008, 07:43 PM) *

An Adriatic Blue /6 w/Gasburners? Is this for real or a dream? Thats the best of the best my friend. Most can only aspire to that level, you can reach no higher plateau in the 914 universe, it does not exist.

All jesting aside, that such a rare car the only thing that could make it better is to take it back to as close to original as possible and baby it. I would mount the original triple Webers at least and resist the temptation of anything else. It will never be the roadrocket sitting beneath it, so don't try to make it into one...just enjoy it for what it is, any attempted 'improvements' will be negative.

You have the garage toys stored in their proper order of importance...(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) There's nothing to add, Jeff answered your question precisely.

Paul
+Quote Post
smg914
post Nov 27 2008, 10:15 PM
Post #6

Sahara Beige Steve

Member No.: 1,695

such a rare car the only thing that could make it better is to take it back to as close to original as possible and baby it. I would mount the original triple Webers at least and resist the temptation of anything else. It will never be the roadrocket sitting beneath it, so don't try to make it into one...just enjoy it for what it is, any attempted 'improvements' will be negative.

I could not have said it better myself so please read this over and over and over.
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Nov 27 2008, 10:39 PM
Post #7

Custom Member

Member No.: 124

I understand the originality passion...I really do.

Question...what would he need to change if he just put in a 3.0 or a 3.2 liter motor with carbs....
Rich
+Quote Post
Lou W
post Nov 27 2008, 10:53 PM
Post #8

"Here Kitty Kitty" my ass......

Member No.: 2,039
Region Association: Spain

I say, leave it alone, enjoy it for what it is.... buy the engineless blue converted 914-6 at CAMP914 listed in the classified and go crazy with it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Nov 27 2008, 10:56 PM
Post #9

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

I think I agree with Rich. But I think it's all in the approch. If I were to touch that holy grail of 914's I would have to insist on seeing that nothing was cut or modified. Only bolt on options and a straight up carb'ed 3.0 of 3.2.

I also agree with Jeff. That car ROCKS! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) Resist the urge to tamper with it and just drive it like you stole it! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

BTW: (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
1970 Neun vierzehn
post Nov 27 2008, 11:03 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,727

QUOTE(r_towle @ Nov 27 2008, 08:39 PM) *

I understand the originality passion...I really do.

Question...what would he need to change if he just put in a 3.0 or a 3.2 liter motor with carbs....
Rich

With a 200 hp engine, I'd be concerned about the additional stress forces on a 40 year old chassis without structural and suspension upgrades and stiffening. The increase in power would naturally lead to faster acceleration and higher speed ranges which would then require improved braking capabilities. To fully appreciate that HP increase, the wheel/tire combination should be changed to take into account the altered chassis dynamics. With increased power and lateral acceleration numbers, a desire for more supportive seats might follow. With a 200 hp engine, the information supplied by the stock, standard instrumentation might not be deemed acceptable.

Paul
+Quote Post
burton73
post Nov 27 2008, 11:09 PM
Post #11

burton73

Member No.: 7,414
Region Association: Southern California

I disagree with some of my buds here. Yes your 6 is perfect but as the car has been upgraded to a 2.2 and you want more power, why don’t you have the top end redone as an S. My 70 911 S put out 180HP and was faster than hell. A 70T had 125HP a lot less. I had a 914 with your wheels and they’re great and with the extra power your car will give much more that little extra that you are wanting. No one will know but you. Get it tuned. You have changed it to a 2.2 so why not change it to a S. If you want you can put some S calipers up front and save your originals to put back on. Upgrade your rears to vented GT’s. Just make it a 914-6 S. They never had a 914-6 S, but if they made one that would be what you would have. You know the story of the 914-6 GTs. If you are profound CW (Cheese and Wine guy) you would of not changed to a 2.2.

Love the garage,

Bob
+Quote Post
sww914
post Nov 27 2008, 11:11 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,146

You may be able to be content to cruise your classic as is if you console yourself with the knowledge that you have a very fast Porsche, just not that one. I have a '72 1.7 that I really enjoy. It is not fast. at all. I still love cruising it around, it's cool and old and raw and even though it's rough it still gets plenty of attention. I also have a WRX and a 914 racecar, they're fast. I enjoy each of them for different reasons. It's kind of like having 3 girlfriends. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
burton73
post Nov 27 2008, 11:15 PM
Post #13

burton73

Member No.: 7,414
Region Association: Southern California

Lou does have a point on the blue car. I was thinking of getting it for myself last week but it needs more brakes and suppression now that that has gone on the yellow car. A 3.2 back in there with more brakes and you have it. That is a great deal.

You will note that a number of us have a few cars. A bought my 3rd 914 this week with a V-8 and a 930 trans. because 914 are more fun to drive than 911’s

Bob
+Quote Post
brp986s
post Nov 27 2008, 11:42 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 8,167

A 3+ liter engine will need an aftermarket flywheel/clutch. Plus external oil cooler and exhaust upgrade. I don't know what tuning specs you would use in a carb application since porsche didn't offer this.

My factory -6 looks exactly like yours except mine has fuchs. I'm putting in a 3.2 motronic b/c I was tired of carb issues like flat spots, poor cold start, lousy gas milage, clogged jets, fouled plugs, stuck needle valves, smokey exhaust, backfire up the top and out the back. Aside from that they're great! Oh, and crappy power. I like for some to keep original time capsules, but for a car you want to enjoy driving, I can see modernizing as porsche would have done it. I keep all the original parts.
+Quote Post
abbott295
post Nov 28 2008, 07:02 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 7,468

"...not on the same level, mechanically..."

If it's not on jackstands, it's not on the same level mechanically. And it's on a lift!!!
+Quote Post
Gustl
post Nov 28 2008, 08:06 AM
Post #16

914 enthusiast & historian

Member No.: 2,212
Region Association: Austria

QUOTE(smg914 @ Nov 28 2008, 05:15 AM) *

such a rare car the only thing that could make it better is to take it back to as close to original as possible and baby it. I would mount the original triple Webers at least and resist the temptation of anything else. It will never be the roadrocket sitting beneath it, so don't try to make it into one...just enjoy it for what it is, any attempted 'improvements' will be negative.

I could not have said it better myself so please read this over and over and over.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

if you want a "fun car 914", please take a 4 and put a 3.2 in it, but leave this 6 as original as possible

just my 2 ct

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif) Gustl
+Quote Post
markb
post Nov 28 2008, 08:35 AM
Post #17

914less :(

Member No.: 180
Region Association: Central California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
+Quote Post
smg914
post Nov 28 2008, 10:24 AM
Post #18

Sahara Beige Steve

Member No.: 1,695

Deleted

I deleted my reply because it was redundant. I should have read all the replies before I replied again. Sorry about that.
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Nov 28 2008, 10:31 AM
Post #19

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

You could wax it... Your 914 is doing better than the stock market. Beyond the wax, don't mess with it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Al Meredith
post Nov 28 2008, 12:25 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 3,061

I too am in the process of restoring a real 914-6. I have the origional engine on a shelf in the garage. I want to build a bigger engine as well. I will not cut the body for an oil cooler so I guess I'll have to stay with a 2.2 or maybe a mild 2.4. any comments?
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th May 2024 - 07:53 PM