Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

> Patina, can a 914 "have" it, or isn't it old or valuable enough?
1970 Neun vierzehn
post Nov 28 2008, 09:29 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,727

I see recently that a 1939 Talbot-Lago went for $4,847,000. Yes there were only a handful (less than 30) made, yes, the Talbot marque is much revered, yes, the car has racing history, and yes, it's a "survivor". But "no interior door trim", "leather seat stiff and cracked", "most instruments and controls fitted", "oxidized and chipped paint applied by brush in places" , and "there are crudely welded metal pieces..."

The reason for this preamble is to determine at what point a "survivor" needs to be restored and refinished, as opposed to leaving it alone and preseving its "patina", if a 914 can have such a thing.

It's been said that a car is original just once, and once it's redone, the direct link to its origins is lost forever, even if it's only a sympathetic repaint.

My '70/4, repainted by the only previous owner in 1973 after a disasterous hail storm, lost its originality staus then. Though the paint held up surprisingly well over the subsequent 30+ years, rust was becoming ever more evident on the lower extremities of the front fenders, around the door handles and the rollbar area. Not quite so evident to the casual observer, rust had also taken its toll in the usual 914 problem spots (hell hole, floor pan). No chance at preservation or patina with my car

I'd live with paint chips on the nose (proud evidence of road use), even door dings left by careless motorists (my blood runs hot at such wanton disregard), and moderately faded/scratched/crazed exterior paint would not, by itself, prompt me to repaint and restore. But blistering, rotting, eroding, corroding sheetmetal only hints at what evil deterioration lies beneath painted surfaces.

So, if it's rusted, I'd cut it out and refinish and repaint. If the metal was solid, straight and intact, I'd do all I could to keep the paint intact, preserving the originality and maintaining the "patina".

Finally, if anyone has a /4 or /6 with the aforementioned "patina", I'd like to see some photos and history. Thanks.

Paul
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th May 2024 - 07:03 AM