Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OEM muffler color?
MrKona
post Dec 5 2008, 02:48 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,469
Region Association: None

Is the Dansk OEM muffler a flat gray or a satin gray? Does anyone have a good paint match? Pictures make it look almost like a primer. Thanks...
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
tod914
post Dec 5 2008, 06:43 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 170

http://www.nlaparts.com/store/exhaust-grey-paint-p-653.html

Here's the correct color paint for a 356. I would think it would be
the same or close for a 914.
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Dec 5 2008, 06:44 PM
Post #3

Do I or don't I...........?

Member No.: 5,765
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(MrKona @ Dec 5 2008, 03:48 PM) *

Is the Dansk OEM muffler a flat gray or a satin gray? Does anyone have a good paint match? Pictures make it look almost like a primer. Thanks...

Should be a flat gray. Yes, it does almost look like primer!

But, if you clean up periodically, it will take on a satin finish.

The paint is fairly thin, so don't go after it with abrasives.
Pat
+Quote Post
jonferns
post Dec 5 2008, 06:48 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,631

The NOS muffler that I have for my '74 1.8 is not painted. It's also not installed on the car, when I install it, should I paint it?
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Dec 5 2008, 07:08 PM
Post #5

Do I or don't I...........?

Member No.: 5,765

QUOTE(sendjonathanmail @ Dec 5 2008, 07:48 PM) *

The NOS muffler that I have for my '74 1.8 is not painted. It's also not installed on the car, when I install it, should I paint it?

I find this interesting. My most recent muffler is a Dansk, but from 1990. It is painted (I'll send pics tomorrow), but by Dansk. Have things changed that much that Dansk no longer protect the mufflers with paint? Wow!

Jon, if yours is bare metal - don't wait to paint it until after it's installed!

Use very fine steel wool, wipe it down, prep-solve it, & put a high temp primer on it immediately. I'll leave it too the current gurus of high temp finish paints to provide the info for a final coat(s). But, it should be light gray.
Pat
+Quote Post
1970 Neun vierzehn
post Dec 5 2008, 07:23 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,727

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Dec 5 2008, 05:08 PM) *

QUOTE(sendjonathanmail @ Dec 5 2008, 07:48 PM) *

Jon, if yours is bare metal - don't wait to paint it until after it's installed!

Use very fine steel wool, wipe it down, prep-solve it, & put a high temp primer on it immediately. I'll leave it too the current gurus of high temp finish paints to provide the info for a final coat(s). But, it should be light gray.
Pat

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Here be a (I hope) saisfactory pic showing correct color and finish. This is a OEM spec item on a '70/4.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
jonferns
post Dec 5 2008, 07:25 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Pat, my muffler has survived 34 years without any protection and there is no rust on it at all. For now, it is neatly wrapped in a box in my basement. Im still deciding whether I should save it or install it. I don't like using my NOS parts (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
MrKona
post Dec 5 2008, 08:15 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 4,469

Great info everyone! I just bought a used stock muffler from a fellow club member. From the pictures, it's been painted black, and I want to repaint it back to the stock color.

I will most likely buy a can of the 356 gray paint. As far as primer, I have a can of 500 degree Fahrenheit primer. Do you think this is a high enough temperature rating? (Assuming it's compatible with the paint) I really don't know just how hot the muffler gets.
+Quote Post
tod914
post Dec 5 2008, 10:00 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

I got that info from John Patterak. He said he sent them a muffler and had them color match it using VHT high temp paint. Seems like a safe bet (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
914runnow
post Jan 19 2009, 10:40 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 1,948

QUOTE(MrKona @ Dec 5 2008, 01:48 PM) *

Stoddards has VHT make them a CUSTOM Color NLA Grey
high Temp Paint..CONCOUR Correct....Spray Can or Quarts..
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Apr 17 2009, 11:24 PM
Post #11

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

I have a question about the OEM Muffler for a `73 2L that I need to clean-up & repaint -

Did it originally or ever have a chromed or polished or semi-polished or stainless steel tailpipe section?

In the photo at the link below for PP's Dansk "OE style" below, it sure looks "shiny" to me!?

http://www.automotion.com/product.asp?pf_i...mp;dept_id=4573

I bought the 2.0 OE style Muffler in the pic below from Midas back in 1980 with a Lifetime Replacement Guarantee. I think I recall that they sourced it from either Dansk or whomever was the Porsche OES at the time, so it was good quality. Pat - this one was also not painted at the time it was installed, but had some sort of a protective coating on it, which has obviously failed at this point. So priming & painting seems like a good idea to me!

I suppose that they'd still be on the hook to get me a new Dansk whenever it should fail, but it's still solid at this point - the car having been stored in my SoCal garage since 5/85 due to the body damage above it (& a new family back then).

Although it looks rusty - its just surface crud that I can steel wool off & refinish with the hi-temp primer & grey paint noted in this thread - at the time I have to pull it off to redo both sides of my rusted-out heat exchangers - but I'm unsure how to do the tailpipe section?

Anyone out there know how I should finish the tailpipe on this? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Also - any leads for some new OEM/OES or Stainless `73 2.0 Heat Exchangers?

AA has SS at $605 per side, but that seems awfully steep to me! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)

Attached Image

+Quote Post
tod914
post Apr 17 2009, 11:55 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Tom, no chrome tips. Just grey.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Apr 19 2009, 04:34 AM
Post #13

TMI....

QUOTE(tod914 @ Apr 17 2009, 10:55 PM) *

Tom, no chrome tips. Just grey.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif) REALLY - ALL GREY !?

Tod - Look at the pic below & note the "silver" or "shiny" look of the tailpipe section, vs. the grey painted body. Is that just an unpainted or clear coated natural steel finish? I seem to recall that mine looked that way at first, and this is the 3rd on my car - including the OE one when new.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

DANSK OE-STYLE 914-2.0 REPLACEMENT MUFFLER:

Attached Image

VERSUS MY CURRENT SPECIAL CUSTOM CORTEN-STEEL-STYLE RUST TREATMENT: (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Attached Image

+Quote Post
MDG
post Apr 19 2009, 07:30 AM
Post #14

Wolf in wolf's clothing.

Member No.: 10,018

Tom, what Tod means is the original mufflers where grey. The pic you've posted of the 'OEM' replacement from Dansk; somewhere along the way they decided to chrome the tip. I suppose they have fallen vicitim to the Bling mentality.

When new, back in the day, no chrome.
+Quote Post
1970 Neun vierzehn
post Apr 19 2009, 11:46 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,727

QUOTE(MDG @ Apr 19 2009, 05:30 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
jonferns
post Apr 19 2009, 12:06 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

My muffler is NOS, with the grey coating, also I have a gray tailpipe.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Apr 19 2009, 01:50 PM
Post #17

TMI....

QUOTE(MDG @ Apr 19 2009, 06:30 AM) *

Tom, what Tod means is the original mufflers where grey. The pic you've posted of the 'OEM' replacement from Dansk; somewhere along the way they decided to chrome the tip. I suppose they have fallen vicitim to the Bling mentality.

So I guess I can refinish mine all grey per OE, but I'll be "stuck with" the chrome or shiny tip Dansk when mine finally gives out, since that's the only one on the market now that vaguely resembles the OE. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)

...and I don't wnat the aftermarker bursch, Dansk, etc. 4 pipe look! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

BIG THANX GUYS! After 24+ years in my garage, the ole memory fades! ...not to mention the "half-zymers"! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

- ya know, where you remember half the stuff half the time!? ...err, I think that's how it goes......ummmmh????? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post
jonferns
post Apr 19 2009, 02:51 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

I've seen a few NOS 2.0 mufflers for sale over the past year or so. Keep an eye on ebay and thesamba.com one will show up.
+Quote Post
MDG
post Apr 19 2009, 03:29 PM
Post #19

Wolf in wolf's clothing.

Member No.: 10,018

I have the newer style Dansk on '73; works just fine. If you want it to look original just take off the chromed finish and paint it.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Apr 20 2009, 01:36 AM
Post #20

TMI....

QUOTE(MDG @ Apr 19 2009, 02:29 PM) *

I have the newer style Dansk on '73; works just fine. If you want it to look original just take off the chromed finish and paint it.

I personally don't mind the chrome tailpipe, and certainly Porsche put chromed exhaust tips on the same period 911s & 912s, so I don't really "get" the "strict interpretation" by PCA that comparable period "upgrades &/or accessories" aren't acceptable.

Frankly & no offense to all of you concours gurus, but I personally think that the grey tailpipe sticking out below/thru the black valence, & especially when below the chromed bumpers, just looks unfinished and shows a bit of the "orphaned child syndrome"! ...I mean, couldn't Porsche at least have OE painted them a flat or matte black to blend in a bit!? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Maybe it's just a conspiracy by those 911ers & 912ers to cheat to keep up with the teeners!? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

Sure glad I won't be showing the car for the "points hunt," but I will try to keep it as true to form as I can be. And since I already paid for that 1983 "Lifetime Guarantee" from Midas for my current muffler - I'll just let them source the Dansk or whatever other proper 2.0 replacement is available at that future date. I'm not trying to cheap out, but guys & gals - I've got several $1000's of parts & work (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) to git 'er dun & back on the road & lookin' purdy after 24 years of waiting patiently! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

...so getting a "new" grey muffler will be the least of my worries over the next 12+/- months! - no offense intended. However, when I pull it off to fix the rusted thru & still original 73 OE heat Exchangers - I will clean up my current muffler & prime/paint it grey per OE, since it's still solid & works at this point.

However, I will offer to repaint the chrome/natural metal tip for any buyer who prefers that look - IF I EVER SELL HER, THAT IS!!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

At the risk of opening a whole new can of worms - what's the position on using Stainless Steel 2.0 Heat Exchangers, now that OE is NLA? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

I understand that SS will last far better/longer & therefore be safer in the long run than OE (for those of us who plan to actually drive our 914s) - even if I could find them NOS or good shape used around. I'll even concede to line the SS ones up with the muffler & prime/spray them the OE grey too! ...will that work Okay?

...or does somebody have a secret source for OE 2.0 Exchangers at a reasonable price that I've not found yet!? (I missed a few close ones though!) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

FYI - Here's a couple of glimpses of what bodywork I'm up against, in addition to getting all of the mechanicals back up to speed after sitting on blocks for 24 years since 5/85.....

REAR END DAMAGE

Attached Image

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)

...AND.......
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 12:08 AM