Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Vise Grip moves to China
blitZ
post Dec 7 2008, 12:50 PM
Post #21

Beer please...

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,719
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Dec 6 2008, 06:51 PM) *

Poverty/unemployment (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

corruption...
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
turnaround89
post Dec 7 2008, 01:42 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 9,067
Region Association: Upper MidWest

My first tool set was made in China, broke almost every tool in the kit, the ratchet broke in a matter of a couple days, i bent some of the crescent wrenches, and snapped a ton of the allen wrenches. After that, i went and bought i nice set of Craftsman tools on black friday and haven't regret spending that money at all. The best tools are made here in the US, no doubt in my mind. The only tools to buy now are Lowes' Kobalt and Sears Craftsman.

I don't know of any foreign tool company that gives a hassle-free lifetime warranty on any of there tools. My kobalt ratchet broke, walked in to lowes and they gave me a new one, took ten minutes, maybe!! A warranty like that doesn't come with foreign CRAP!!!

+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Dec 7 2008, 02:32 PM
Post #23

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(turnaround89 @ Dec 7 2008, 11:42 AM) *

The best tools are made here in the US, no doubt in my mind.
I don't know of any foreign tool company that gives a hassle-free lifetime warranty on any of there tools.

Stahlwille, made in Germany since 1862 ...
http://www.stahlwille.com/

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif) Andy
+Quote Post
URY914
post Dec 7 2008, 02:39 PM
Post #24

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 222
Region Association: None

Anyone remember a few years back when Stanley was going to move offshore to dodge U.S. taxes? That still haunts them.
+Quote Post
Grelber
post Dec 7 2008, 02:47 PM
Post #25

Insert favorite Don Rickles joke here.

Member No.: 6,107
Region Association: Southwest Region

Since 1865, Klein Tools are still made in the USA (plants in Illinois, Michigan, New York and Arkansas), with US steel, and have a lifetime warranty. Not big in the automotive channel, but still the pro electrician's choice.
+Quote Post
URY914
post Dec 7 2008, 05:35 PM
Post #26

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 222

Klein tools are top notch.
+Quote Post
scotty
post Dec 7 2008, 05:53 PM
Post #27

The Fun Never Stops

Member No.: 718

Maybe Leatherman could buy the patent (or design a better one)?
+Quote Post
byndbad914
post Dec 7 2008, 07:15 PM
Post #28

shoehorn and some butter - it fits

Member No.: 5,463

QUOTE(brer @ Dec 7 2008, 02:29 AM) *

throw out everything in your house that says made in china on it or in it.
I dare you.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) we have been the largest financial contributor to China's industrial revolution and then somehow get upset after 30yrs of buying shit made in Asian countries when all of the jobs are going away.

We (in general terms) did this one to ourselves because we bitch when people move overseas, but frankly don't actually stop buying/using foreign built products. We just like to bitch but also bitch if the price is higher than those foreign ones.

Credit cards are another perfect example of things going to a completely different (tho' Asian) location. Everyone I talk to bitches about getting some "foreign bastard" on the phone and how they took an American job, but how many people have stopped using their cards and paid them off and told the banks to F off until they bring customer service back to this country??

So if you are serious about attempting to really make an impact on forcing companies to reconsider moving to China, then as Brer said, remove all foreign built products or products with foreign products inside of them from your house and only purchase all USA products, which BTW, implies shouldn't be buying any Porsche stuff either.

And don't think I somehow am glad business is moving to China/elsewhere and "unemploying" fellow Americans as that isn't the case, but this has been decades in the making. I remember being a kid in the late 70s and the stigma of seeing Made in China on items and my parents refusing to buy it and nobody drove foreign cars except a few with Subarus and people would bad mouth 'em... now it is seen as lame to drive anything but foreign - and again, did that to ourselves with shitty cars that can't make it past 100K miles. Sadly, vice grips are really, really, really low on the foreign built totem pole.
+Quote Post
anderssj
post Dec 7 2008, 09:04 PM
Post #29

Dog is my copilot...

Member No.: 207
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

CRAP!

Why am I not surprised that Newell-Rubbermaid had something to do with this? They took the Rubbermaid name to China after the original US company (in Ohio, IIRC) went broke after getting involved with Walmart.

I remember getting into a pretty heated discussion with an AF Major I was working for--he couldn't understand why I would "waste" $$$ on US-made tools (Craftsman, Snap-on, MAC), when I could get Chinese-made tools for $ at Walmart. I told him if he ever had to actually use the tools he'd understand why . . . also told him it's people like him that would eventually keep even the people who know the difference from being able to get good tools--not to mention what it does to our country . . . .

Its not just the US either--recently I'm even seeing "made in China" on what used to be exclusively German products (Henckels knives, etc.). Seems like we're in a global race for the bottom . . . with cheapness crowding out quality at every turn.

Sorry, I'm down off my soapbox now . . . .

So, who did you send your e-mail(s) to?

+Quote Post
Maltese Falcon
post Dec 7 2008, 09:27 PM
Post #30

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,755

Try to find anything in Costco NOT made on mainland China or ROC. While my wife shops , I browse the pallet racks and try to do just that. Schwinn bikes "Made in China" is what the box said today. You can almost spot a "Made in China" box at ten feet...they all have corragated ( thin wall) cardboard box made in a different color than most U.S. crates. Also checked out the Waste King disposers...designed in the U.S.A. by Anaheim Mfg. With a bit more investigating on the box...low and behold "Made in China".
Three things that scare me about China: their pollution of the air and waterways with mfg. byproducts ; Their lack of concern of contamination in their food production for humans and pets; and if they decide to call in all of their outstanding accounts payable from all of the U.S. merchants selling their crap, most of whom are operating on a shoestring in this economy, our $$ forecast will get uglier.
I am going to miss the U.S. made Vise Grips. I guess we can call the new ones Vise Gripes (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
Marty
+Quote Post
SGB
post Dec 7 2008, 09:44 PM
Post #31

just visiting

Member No.: 404

QUOTE(anderssj @ Dec 7 2008, 09:04 PM) *

I'm even seeing "made in China" on what used to be exclusively German products ...

Yes most "Porche Design" non-automotive products come from China too.

On another note, there was a time when "made in Japan" meant it was crap. And Kia has moved upmarket aparently with some success too.

I think I would rather my money go to China than Suadi Arabia and Kuwait...
+Quote Post
jimtab
post Dec 7 2008, 11:05 PM
Post #32

Advanced Member

Member No.: 91
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(scotty @ Dec 7 2008, 03:53 PM) *

Maybe Leatherman could buy the patent (or design a better one)?

Have you bought a Leatherman tool lately? We have all but dropped them at the Hardware store I work for, they are real cheesedicks when you get a problem with a tool lately, and the margins for resellers are VERY thin. Klein tools are excellent, and we get tools from Germany that are good, mostly nutdrivers and ball drivers (hex). Stanley still makes a few tools in the US but not many. To be competitive with the box stores everyone is going Chinese (or worse, and yes there are worse) tools, we have a great resistance to customers spending the 30% or more for the "pro tool." Our pro customers usually will but even that market is eroding. And be careful talking shit about Japanese tools, they still make some of the best edged tools (saws, chisels, planes) made anywhere in the world, and their prybars are very good also. Also the Scandinavian countries still make a lot of good stuff....also expensive..
+Quote Post
turnaround89
post Dec 7 2008, 11:27 PM
Post #33

Member No.: 9,067
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Never heard of Stahlville before, looks like good tools, where are they sold in the U.S? I still think the U.S. makes some of the best tools, can't really say that about our cars, sadly (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Dec 8 2008, 12:00 AM
Post #34

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(turnaround89 @ Dec 7 2008, 09:27 PM) *

Never heard of Stahlville before, looks like good tools, where are they sold in the U.S? I still think the U.S. makes some of the best tools, can't really say that about our cars, sadly (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

That's STAHLWILLE. I have a bunch of 'em, and have for over 35 years. Baum Tools, some sellers on Ebay (such as Samstag Sales), Pendergrass Tools in CA, possibly Zelenda, and some others. They're big bucks, but hold up well, and the combi wrenches feel so good in your hand you'll wonder why you ever had any other brand. BTW, MAC tools are Stanley, and much of the selection of Sears tools come from China, just like everyone else's. Facom owns S&K. Facom is European, S&K is likely Chinese sourced. A lot of the tool trucks have their "name" brand and a second line, again mostly from China.

Happy shopping! The Cap'n
+Quote Post
Wilhelm
post Dec 8 2008, 01:42 AM
Post #35

Member No.: 8,088

If the quality becomes these: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/disp...Itemnumber=6002 then we are all hosed. Worst pieces of crap. If you can get them to lock, they usually twist sideways because the frames have no rigidity. Some of the HF stuff is acceptable, mostly the stuff with no moving parts. I broken Craftsman, Matco, Snap-on, and HF. The worst thing with the HF tools is the unpredictability as to when they will break; probably no quality control. The one thing I've will give them though, is they have never balked at replacing something I've broken.
+Quote Post
carr914
post Dec 8 2008, 02:28 AM
Post #36

Racer from Birth

Member No.: 1,623

I broke a 1/4 Craftsman ratchet last week. Took it back, the Sears guy and I went over to glasscase. He says you've had this one awhile, huh? Yep. He pulls one down and says that it replaces the one I broke. I said that looks cheap & chinese. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif) I'll pay to upgrade to this other one. He says that would be wise, takes it up to the register, prints up an exchange ticket and Gave me the upgraded ratchet. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) It pays to know what your looking at and being lucky talking to right guy.

T.C.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
brer
post Dec 8 2008, 02:28 AM
Post #37

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,736

QUOTE(anderssj @ Dec 7 2008, 07:04 PM) *

CRAP!

Why am I not surprised that Newell-Rubbermaid had something to do with this? They took the Rubbermaid name to China after the original US company (in Ohio, IIRC) went broke after getting involved with Walmart.

I remember getting into a pretty heated discussion with an AF Major I was working for--he couldn't understand why I would "waste" $$$ on US-made tools (Craftsman, Snap-on, MAC), when I could get Chinese-made tools for $ at Walmart. I told him if he ever had to actually use the tools he'd understand why . . . also told him it's people like him that would eventually keep even the people who know the difference from being able to get good tools--not to mention what it does to our country . . . .

Its not just the US either--recently I'm even seeing "made in China" on what used to be exclusively German products (Henckels knives, etc.). Seems like we're in a global race for the bottom . . . with cheapness crowding out quality at every turn.

Sorry, I'm down off my soapbox now . . . .

So, who did you send your e-mail(s) to?

If you are looking for a new knife,
I bought a couple of these knives through my cousin who work for them, and I actually think they are pretty bitchin.

http://www.messermeister.com/
+Quote Post
mightyohm
post Dec 8 2008, 02:32 AM
Post #38

Advanced Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 162
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Be happy they aren't moving to India.

+Quote Post
michaelmoo
post Dec 8 2008, 06:16 AM
Post #39

Member No.: 2,092

Found this on the net:
Craftsman tools came under fire in 2004 in a lawsuit accusing Sears, Roebuck and Company of false advertising and consumer fraud for questionable use of the "Made in USA" slogan. While many Craftsman hand tools are manufactured in the U.S., many power tools and accessories are manufactured in China, sometimes with the final assembly taking place in the U.S.

I’ve gone through 4 of the ¼ ratchets from Craftsman. The gear strips out. The last time I went I complained about it and the guy said they are now using a plastic gear inside instead of metal. Great. I’ll end up bringing it back in a month or so.

Also have you ever seen a list of part by country of a new Porsche? Lots of Japanese, Chinese parts in it. I think it was in the Pano that had the (then brand new) ‘05 997 in it.
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Dec 8 2008, 09:44 AM
Post #40

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

For good or ill, we are a global economy. Businesses need to balance cost and quality against their target market.

The people that will buy quality no matter the cost is a small market, and already has good penetration.

The people that buy quality = cost are looking at Craftsman grade tools, and that market is still relatively small with good penetration by a few companies.

The majority of the market wants cheap tools that will only need to be used a handful of times. They are going to buy purely based on cost, and even then probably won't use the tool enough to wear it out or break it.

There is money to made selling tools, but the only markets that arn't saturated are the once selling to cost. You have one guess at where cost driven items are made.

Dismal? Maybe. Raising tariffs and closing borders would not be a good long term solution either though. For most consumers, it would not even be a good short term solution, as they are not interested in the quality products - they are buying on cost. Tariffs would raise their final cost, possibly putting American businesses out of business by removing their bread and butter items.

I've got several sets of vise-grips that are over 20 years old. The company has not made a dime off of me. If they want to stick around, they need to make a product that will sell to a cost point audience.

Zach
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2024 - 05:47 AM