Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> To V8 or not to V8 - that is the question, Things are too slow around here, need to stir this pot.
boxstr
post Dec 27 2008, 09:32 PM
Post #21

MEMBER:PACIFIC NORTHWEST REGION

Group: Members
Member No.: 12
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

One thing I always read about after someone does a V8 conversion is they have overheating issues. I think it comes down to one thing, use a Renegade Hybrid radiator package. End of problem.
Good luck it will be a blast when you are done.
CCLINKEEPCOOL
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
JRust
post Dec 27 2008, 11:45 PM
Post #22

914 Guru

Member No.: 129

I love the buick 215! I am partial though as that is what I have in my car. It sits at a robust 2190lbs fairly stock. 5-lug conversion, v8 & sideshift tranny swap aside. Still sitting right close to stock weight. I would guess mine is in the 220hp range. Car flat out flies while having very usable power. I rarely break the wheels loose. Well unless I'm trying too anyway. To practical to waste my tires & annoy people.

The range rover 215 is the same motor with some improvements I think. I would look into the water pump. The stock mechanical pump sticks out alot. I am going to go to a remote electric pump setup. That will cure my woes of losing most the firewall. I would definately recommend Renegades trannymount adapters. It moves the tranny back 1 1/2" while also dropping the rear 3/4". My tranny sits in the stock location & my engine comes into the cab right now. My plans are to add the tranny adapters, The remote electric water pump & get my firewall back in place. Supposed to be a winter project but looking more like spring now.

Any info I can help with on the 215 let me know. There are a few floating here on the world. All the v8 guys in general are very helpful. As are all 914 owners for the most part (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
boxstr
post Dec 28 2008, 12:25 AM
Post #23

Jamie, Didn't you add the Renegade radiator also?
CCLINH20
+Quote Post
DBCooper
post Dec 28 2008, 06:06 AM
Post #24

14's in the 13's with ATTITUDE

Member No.: 2,618
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(J P Stein @ Dec 27 2008, 11:02 AM) *

Can't says's I have, but I've seen em' run at AX......& get smoked by a wheezing 1.7L (actually, the 1.7L runs pretty good)......all 80hp worth.

It always comes down to how the cars are set up... and driven... doesn't it JP? So how do you think that same wheezing 1.7 would do on a high speed course against a properly set up aluminum Buick/Rover V8 that, coincidentally, weighed pretty much the same as the 1.7?

QUOTE(ericread @ Dec 27 2008, 11:38 AM) *

QUOTE(DBCooper @ Dec 27 2008, 07:57 AM) *

For me that decision is always based on what you want from the car. These cars are already 30 years old, so they're hobby cars, not daily drivers.

Exsqueeze me??? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bs.gif)

My 74 2.0L 914 is my daily driver. Over the past two years I average about 15,000 miles a year in it. That includes commuting to work and back, and weekend trips and averaging almost 30MPG.

These are really great little cars, so make it what you want it to be. If that means using it as a DD, fine.

Eric Read

No offense intended Eric, that's speaking generally and is not BS. Of course it's possible. Anything is possible, but no 30 year old car is as dependable as newer one. My kids drive VW's from the fifties as dailies. They're young, and would be happy to tell you stories about changing clutch cables on the side of the road (big KEP clutches), cleaning idle jets, finding electrical gremlins in the dark, things like that. For me that's not practical, so I drive something more modern for my daily. Like most of the other folks here. What you're doing is the exception, not the rule, and will become more and more unusual as years go by.
+Quote Post
Cheapsnake
post Dec 28 2008, 08:02 AM
Post #25

Member No.: 8,341

QUOTE(JRust @ Dec 27 2008, 09:45 PM) *

I love the buick 215! I am partial though as that is what I have in my car. It sits at a robust 2190lbs fairly stock. 5-lug conversion, v8 & sideshift tranny swap aside. Still sitting right close to stock weight. I would guess mine is in the 220hp range. Car flat out flies while having very usable power. I rarely break the wheels loose. Well unless I'm trying too anyway. To practical to waste my tires & annoy people.

The range rover 215 is the same motor with some improvements I think. I would look into the water pump. The stock mechanical pump sticks out alot. I am going to go to a remote electric pump setup. That will cure my woes of losing most the firewall. I would definately recommend Renegades trannymount adapters. It moves the tranny back 1 1/2" while also dropping the rear 3/4". My tranny sits in the stock location & my engine comes into the cab right now. My plans are to add the tranny adapters, The remote electric water pump & get my firewall back in place. Supposed to be a winter project but looking more like spring now.

Any info I can help with on the 215 let me know. There are a few floating here on the world. All the v8 guys in general are very helpful. As are all 914 owners for the most part (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Thanks for the offer jrust and be assured, I'll be tapping you and the rest of the V8 guys for details in the coming months. You and boxstr both mentioned cooling issues and that is one of my main concerns. Nothing ruins a ride quicker than having to keep an eye on the temp guage constantly.

In fact, today I'm committing myself to the V8 conversion by pulling the heating ducts out of the longitudinals before welding them up. First question - hard lines or hoses to the radiator? Thought I was going to start my build thread with some pics last night but found out I need a new card reader to fit my camera's card. So, stay tuned, I'll try again tonight.

Onward.

Tom
+Quote Post
So.Cal.914
post Dec 28 2008, 08:20 AM
Post #26

"...And it has a front trunk too."

Member No.: 1,658
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Cheapsnake @ Dec 28 2008, 06:02 AM) *

In fact, today I'm committing myself to the V8 conversion by pulling the heating ducts out of the longitudinals before welding them up. First question - hard lines or hoses to the radiator? Thought I was going to start my build thread with some pics last night but found out I need a new card reader to fit my camera's card. So, stay tuned, I'll try again tonight.

Onward.

Tom

While your in there run your cooling lines through the longs.
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Dec 28 2008, 09:10 AM
Post #27

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45

[quote name='DBCooper' date='Dec 28 2008, 04:06 AM' post='1114681']
[quote name='J P Stein' post='1114507' date='Dec 27 2008, 11:02 AM']
Can't says's I have, but I've seen em' run at AX......& get smoked by a wheezing 1.7L (actually, the 1.7L runs pretty good)......all 80hp worth.
[/quote]

It always comes down to how the cars are set up... and driven... doesn't it JP? So how do you think that same wheezing 1.7 would do on a high speed course against a properly set up aluminum Buick/Rover V8 that, coincidentally, weighed pretty much the same as the 1.7?
[quote]

As I wrote above (you do read, eh), my problem with the V8 was not with the Rover but the SBC.....and it is with its weight and location.
+Quote Post
jimkelly
post Dec 28 2008, 09:23 AM
Post #28

Delaware USA

Member No.: 2,460
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

it sure would be great if someone would build a street legal SBC conversion that could beat out 1.7/1.8/2.0's in AX's from time to time. gear ratio's and sticky hoosiers, along with proper suspension set up - should be able to yeild a faster car thru the cones??
+Quote Post
computers4kids
post Dec 28 2008, 09:32 AM
Post #29

Love these little cars!

Member No.: 4,253

QUOTE(Cheapsnake @ Dec 28 2008, 06:02 AM) *

QUOTE(JRust @ Dec 27 2008, 09:45 PM) *

You and boxstr both mentioned cooling issues and that is one of my main concerns. Nothing ruins a ride quicker than having to keep an eye on the temp guage constantly.

Unless you really do a lot of research and source some very good parts, go with a proven system like "Renedgades" otherwise you will be doing this all too often...
(sorry Jamie...your famous!) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-2105-1215920010_thumb.jpg)
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Dec 28 2008, 09:35 AM
Post #30

Irrelevant old fart

MikeD (IIRC) has a E Mod 914 SBC that looks like it should be quick. He did the work required. Last I heard he was feeling kinda down on it. There are any number to problems to overcome. Classing in SCCA, no class (NPI) in PCA.
For fun AXing, sure, no reason. You put enuff tiar on a brick and it will corner.

From what I've seen, very few guys will put on the tire, suspension, & brakes that
such a beastie needs.
+Quote Post
Bruce Hinds
post Dec 28 2008, 10:37 AM
Post #31

V-8 madness

Member No.: 7,391

You won't be sorry for going V8, it all about fun to drive.... these cars are fun, and anyone you talk to will probably agree, more cylinders = more fun, period.
So, Just a note regarding the autocross comments earlier. The top autocross car when I built my v8 was a 2ltr special edition that cleaned everyone clock, including mine. Auto cross is fun, but he doesn't drive his car on the street. If sliding around parking lots and never hitting 4th gear, rarely 3rd is how you want to enjoy your car that's great. It is a fun way to enjoy a day with other gearheads, the 8 just won't be as competitive, especially since you will end up in a class like E Modified. But it's still tons of fun.
As far as veryday driveablility, the 8 has it hands down. They're easier to work on too, ever try to adjust the valves on a 4? I've had 5 teeners and the one I've kept is the one I converted to SBC 23 years ago. Go for it!
One suggestion, Renegade moves the tranny back slightly and relocates the water pump. I'd suggest not cutting the firewall! That structure is there for your protection. Moving the trans back just an inch and a half won't screw up the CVs or cause any problem with geometry.
Good luck, and have fun.
+Quote Post
JRust
post Dec 28 2008, 10:52 AM
Post #32

914 Guru

Member No.: 129

QUOTE(boxstr @ Dec 27 2008, 10:25 PM) *

Jamie, Didn't you add the Renegade radiator also?
CCLINH20

Yes I did add Renegades radiator. That is a no brainer too. It is proven & while not cheap is worth every penny (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Also the other benifit to adding the Electric remote water pump. Well besides the space issue. It takes one thing off the belt which is supposed to add 10-15ponies. I know my engine will fit behind the firewall then. I will still have a small access panel there as the distributor sits up front too. Be hard to get at without an access panel. Doable but I don't mind a 1ft access panel. Most sbc conversions have to cut a small area out of the rear trunk anyway. With the 215 you don't have to do that.
+Quote Post
boxstr
post Dec 28 2008, 11:32 AM
Post #33

I would agree with Bruce. Make every effort to get the motor back as far as you can. Cutting the firewall would be the last thing I would want to do. A small access hole like you might have with a six cylinder is very acceptable.

As far as radiator cooling lines. The ones I have owned have all been the Gate's Green stripe hoses under the car. It runs along the bottom of the car and is held in place with large stainless U clamps. The lines are up high enough that you wont harm them, plus they are very thick. And if you need to access them they are right there, not hidden away inside the longs, which trust me will be a pain in the ass to get to.

Here is a great thread that you might want to take a look at. It will give you some idea as to what is involved in a V8 conversion.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...impson&st=0

CCLINH20914
+Quote Post
BMXerror
post Dec 28 2008, 12:25 PM
Post #34

Member No.: 5,842

If you're gonna do an engine conversion, you might as well go balls out!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ferrari-550...sQ5fAccessories
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
Mark D.
P.S. I was lookin for an F430 engine, but couldn't find one.... it's a V8!
+Quote Post
So.Cal.914
post Dec 28 2008, 01:13 PM
Post #35

"...And it has a front trunk too."

Member No.: 1,658

The lines are up high enough that you wont harm them, plus they are very thick. And if you need to access them they are right there, not hidden away inside the longs, which trust me will be a pain in the ass to get to.

I have hit all sorts of stuff in traffic on the freeway. You can't go around it and you can't slam on the brakes. You look under a lot of 914's that have not replaced the floor pans and they are dented up. My 74 looks like an IED went off under it. If SS tubes were installed in the longs it would be one less thing to worry about. There are members here that have done it just this way.

+Quote Post
DBCooper
post Dec 28 2008, 05:32 PM
Post #36

QUOTE(J P Stein @ Dec 28 2008, 07:10 AM) *

QUOTE(DBCooper @ Dec 28 2008, 04:06 AM) *

QUOTE(J P Stein @ Dec 27 2008, 11:02 AM) *

As I wrote above (you do read, eh), my problem with the V8 was not with the Rover but the SBC.....and it is with its weight and location.

Of course I read, JP. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) Maybe not that good, but my question wasn't about the Chevy, it was about the Rover. In fact you just quoted me, right there, but still didn't answer the question. Do you think a well set up aluminum V8 is going to be slower than that wheezing 1.7 on a long fast course? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)
+Quote Post
Cheapsnake
post Dec 28 2008, 06:17 PM
Post #37

Member No.: 8,341

I always thought the long's were made to order for the cooling lines to keep them out of harms way. I'd like to use either aluminum or SS tubing as long as I can locate the clamps where I can get at them, but then again if I use straight hose - no clamps to worry about. Hmmmm.

Boxstr, thanks for the link - I've got it bookmarked.

Hope to have some pics up tonight to start my build thread.

Tom
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Dec 28 2008, 06:21 PM
Post #38

Irrelevant old fart

QUOTE(DBCooper @ Dec 28 2008, 03:32 PM) *

Of course I read, JP. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) Maybe not that good, but my question wasn't about the Chevy, it was about the Rover. In fact you just quoted me, right there, but still didn't answer the question. Do you think a well set up aluminum V8 is going to be slower than that wheezing 1.7 on a long fast course? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

Of course not. Now we're 1 & 1, happy?

+Quote Post
DBCooper
post Dec 29 2008, 05:40 AM
Post #39

Overjoyed, big guy. Didn't matter a bit until you asked if I could read. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th June 2024 - 05:49 AM