Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rocker covers. I'm a bad, bad boy!, The crud chronicle
ghuff
post Jun 16 2009, 09:56 PM
Post #41

This is certainly not what I expected down here.

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,389
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I have metal rivets in my car, and I also just discovered that my rocker was rotted and someone broke it in half and bondo'd it together while on the car.

I broke it in half after unscrewing the bottom. I found my long is solid, but my jack thing has a nice 2" long horizontal rust hole -- it looks liek the exact build up in the first pic in this thread sat against that nad caused it!

Fortunately it is all very solid inside..... Can I get away with por15 under it, cut the rust out, leave it open, por-15 all over where surface is starting and go?

Passenger side is next, and I guess I have to drill the metal rivets out to get these rocker covers off that have never been off.

Better to find/fix now than later!

EDIT! Thec ar is a 2/75 build date, original california car with the rockers never removed.... super clean aside from this. There is no hell hole yet, just light surface and original metal.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ghuff
post Jun 19 2009, 04:13 PM
Post #42

Ok I can guarantee this is *the* first time ever the rockers have been unscrewed from the bottom of this car.........

The passenger side had a literal 5lbs of dirt, rocks and crap built up in there. Here is a picture of what came out just from under the rocker!

(IMG:http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/244/p6190027y.jpg)
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Jun 19 2009, 07:19 PM
Post #43

Do I or don't I...........?

Member No.: 5,765
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(ghuff @ Jun 16 2009, 09:56 PM) *

I have metal rivets in my car, and I also just discovered that my rocker was rotted and someone broke it in half and bondo'd it together while on the car.

I broke it in half after unscrewing the bottom. I found my long is solid, but my jack thing has a nice 2" long horizontal rust hole -- it looks liek the exact build up in the first pic in this thread sat against that nad caused it!

Fortunately it is all very solid inside..... Can I get away with por15 under it, cut the rust out, leave it open, por-15 all over where surface is starting and go?

Passenger side is next, and I guess I have to drill the metal rivets out to get these rocker covers off that have never been off.

Better to find/fix now than later!

EDIT! Thec ar is a 2/75 build date, original california car with the rockers never removed.... super clean aside from this. There is no hell hole yet, just light surface and original metal.

Replace it. Have a decent shop get rid of the old & weld in the new. I'm not saying this just fom a CW point of view.

Let's say you have a flat. Pull out the factory jack, hook it up and start to lift. As the car rises, you'll probably hear a crunching sound & as you watch, the jack will destroy your rocker cover as the rocke cover becomes the strongest jacking point.

Yes, it happened to me. Had to have the recievers replaced, as well as one rocker cover. Horrible things happen inside those covers, which is why I recommend removing them every 3-5 years for cleaning.

It's broken - fix it!
Pat
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Jun 19 2009, 07:21 PM
Post #44

Do I or don't I...........?

Member No.: 5,765
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(ghuff @ Jun 19 2009, 04:13 PM) *

Ok I can guarantee this is *the* first time ever the rockers have been unscrewed from the bottom of this car.........

The passenger side had a literal 5lbs of dirt, rocks and crap built up in there. Here is a picture of what came out just from under the rocker!

Impressive, isn't it? Just think about how many times that crud has been wet - for weeks!
Pat
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jun 19 2009, 08:31 PM
Post #45

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(ghuff @ Jun 19 2009, 03:13 PM) *

You could plant a little garden in it! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

...maybe your 914 was like Woody Allen's Dad in "Love & Death" & just wanted "...a little piece of land...." of it's own!??? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
ghuff
post Jun 19 2009, 10:30 PM
Post #46

I will try to get pictures tomorrow of the rockers.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st May 2024 - 12:15 PM