Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> thread to capture pix as I install the Mendeola S4, with KEP Stg 2 dual disk race clutch - DROVE IT!
byndbad914
post Jan 12 2009, 10:50 PM
Post #21

shoehorn and some butter - it fits

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,463
Region Association: None

shifter assy installed, I sat in the car like a dork and yanked gears (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) gonna shift fast!
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
byndbad914
post Jan 12 2009, 10:52 PM
Post #22

ready to blast around the neighborhood - hopefully this weekend I can get a chance if the weather gets better.
Attached Image
+Quote Post
PeeGreen 914
post Jan 12 2009, 10:56 PM
Post #23

Just when you think you're done...wait, there is more..lol

Member No.: 6,884
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

That looks very nice. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif)

Wish I could feel how it shifts (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)
+Quote Post
byndbad914
post Jan 12 2009, 11:09 PM
Post #24

(IMG:http://i26.tinypic.com/iz6vwh.jpg)

Linda says it shifts LIKE BUTTA!
+Quote Post
LarryR
post Jan 12 2009, 11:10 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 7,604

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif) That is uber sweet. I am afraid a trans like that is more than my whole budget!
+Quote Post
byndbad914
post Jan 13 2009, 11:23 AM
Post #26

ugh, I know, don't remind me (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) This is proof that I am insane by the simplest of definitions (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)

'Course I intend to use this trans over and over in project after project and then die with it hahahahaha (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)
+Quote Post
byndbad914
post Jan 13 2009, 06:26 PM
Post #27

Drove it around the block a few minutes ago...

my thoughts????

JEEBUS CREEBUS does this thing shift fast (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif) I looked just like this but much faster (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) shifting in one plane and the back end fishtailing.

we should change the smiley to :timsbadassmofoS4: hahahahaha but with some smoke behind it cuz in the cold I blew the tires off all the way into 3rd even short shifting.

I talked to Dwight earlier before going out and he reminded me to just palm and smack the shifter and not hold it at all - just bang the shifter and let it settle itself back. I accidentally one time left my hand on it (I am a hand-rest-on-the-shifter kinda guy) and it didn't like it. So that was the first shift to 2nd... after that I just smacked it forward and back and everything was fine.

Reverse doesn't like to be selected - the lockout is fighting me a little, but Dwight said that just needs to loosen up a bit and getting the box to temp and running it a good track day will loosen and seat everything and it should be good to go.

Thing rocks.
+Quote Post
iamchappy
post Jan 13 2009, 08:14 PM
Post #28

It all happens so fast!

Member No.: 1,315
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Oh my, what fun. I dont think your a dork.....
+Quote Post
So.Cal.914
post Jan 13 2009, 08:33 PM
Post #29

"...And it has a front trunk too."

Member No.: 1,658

Dude, it should have tit's. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
McMark
post Jan 13 2009, 09:12 PM
Post #30

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

That is awesome and beautiful. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smiley_notworthy.gif)

BTW, this forum has allowed multiple images per post for years now.
+Quote Post
Chris Pincetich
post Jan 13 2009, 09:20 PM
Post #31

B-)

Member No.: 4,907
Region Association: Northern California

When I finally get the $$$ to build a Baja 914 I will use one of these on a MassIVe 250HP TIV. Inspiring to see your dream a reality. Keep up the good work (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
byndbad914
post Jan 13 2009, 09:35 PM
Post #32

thanks guys!

Mark - you are right, I wasn't clear - it is an image size issue, I could post more than one pic per post but I would have to shrink them a fair amount - or maybe I am missing something? Nonetheless, the limit of image size per post is what limits me to one per post... is there a way to open the limits up more to allow a few more decent size photos so folks and click and see details in a nice sized image?

It was pretty warm today so mostly slushy and the car is covered in crap from blasting around the neighborhood. It is supposed to flurry here and there the next 2 days, start warming up and be in the 50s this weekend, so maybe Sunday I will trailer the car out east of Denver 30-40 miles, unload the car and blast around the back highways to break the trans and clutch in. See how it shapes up for weather.
+Quote Post
andys
post Jan 13 2009, 10:03 PM
Post #33

Advanced Member

Member No.: 721

Shifter karts (having sequential MC transmissions) call them "bump shifters" for exactly the same reason Dwight mentions.

Andys
+Quote Post
McMark
post Jan 14 2009, 12:34 AM
Post #34

914 Freak!

Member No.: 419

Using slightly more compression and limiting the image size to 800x600 will cut your file size by 5x. Your copy of the attached image was 250k. Mine is 50k. The board software limits the image to 800 anyway (unless people click for the bigger version), so for most users the extra large image isn't necessary.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
byndbad914
post Jan 14 2009, 01:31 AM
Post #35

gotcha Mark... I wonder how many people click on pix (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) I tend to click for larger images cuz I like to see details but I tend to be a bit anal so maybe I am wrong in assuming others tend to do that. You might be right about just setting the images at 800...
+Quote Post
byndbad914
post Jan 18 2009, 09:41 PM
Post #36

Took the car out east and kept my eyes open and slowed down whenever I saw a car approaching... didn't see any troopers so ran it up a few times. 6K 4th gear here and there (around 120-ish) but the cross winds are SO BAD out here I didn't want to push it any more, with the wing it would move the car around a fair amount at 120.

Ken hadn't seen the new race track so we drove all the way out to it (I unloaded about 18 miles from the track) and if the winds are gonna be anything like they were today that is going to suck. I am gonna have to check the almanac for Byers and see what the wind speeds are like in Mar - Oct! It is like a REALLY BAD day at WSIR for those that now what that is like.

Car shifts so fast, man that is nice. We pulled onto a hwy out there, got to the edge of town where the speed goes up to 65 and I smacked thru 3 gears and Ken just started laughing (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
charliew
post Jan 19 2009, 11:21 AM
Post #37

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,958

Really neat tranny. Can you do away with the cv spacers if you get longer axles? That looks like a place for loose cv bolts to me. The rear tranny mount with the spacers will take a lot of twisting motion I would think. When the wheels loose traction from side to side the tranny will try to rotate it seems, maybe not. Where the spacers butt against the alum. tranny I would use some washers or the spacers will eat into the alum housing. I think you will end up putting the plate against the tranny and making the plate removable. Until reverse loostens up you might need to get the car moving a little to get it in reverse kinda like rocking a bike to change gears at a stop.

This could be just bs. I'm really just jealous. Keep the wheels down.
+Quote Post
byndbad914
post Jan 19 2009, 01:08 PM
Post #38

I intend to get floating axles from Sway Away - I had waited on new axles as I have intended to upgrade to a Mendeola for awhile now and made the spacers to get by with the 930 trans. In due time.

The rear bracket will see little load I suspect - the chassis is so rigid, the engine is hard mounted to the chassis, etc. The car has essentially no flex to be honest - it is rigid as Hell. What little flex it might see shouldn't hurt anything. Additionally I used a lot of torque on the bolts to get high joint stiffness and everything is pretty smooth at the interfaces so I doubt anything chews into each other.

Reverse is getting better as well - they suggested I just run it and break everything in and yesterday helped a lot.
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post Jan 19 2009, 05:50 PM
Post #39

Professional Lawn Dart

Member No.: 219
Region Association: Southern California

Your car is insane......

Sick tranny. Neighbor had one in a sandrail, way good box
+Quote Post
byndbad914
post Jan 19 2009, 08:12 PM
Post #40

thanks dude - good to see you around! Hope school is going well.

My friend got a small amount of video on his cell phone but it is a weird mp4 format and so far neither of us can get sound from the vid, and he has captured sound before. Unfortunately, maybe no good vid. Watching it tho' I don't think he got any of the shifting either so maybe doesn't matter (I think the car is so violent on accel it is hard to get vid anyway as a passenger (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) )

A shot of the first law that was possibly broken - right near where I was unloading the car was a 25mph zone
Attached Image

and a shot of the new track
Attached Image
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th June 2024 - 06:39 PM