Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Transmission leak at the CV joint, DIY?
Rav914
post Jan 4 2009, 11:36 AM
Post #1

All-weather fan

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,669
Region Association: None

I had recently changed the tranny oil and repacked the CV joint, in addition to a new CV boot. When I was adjusting the clutch cable I noticed a couple of drops of tranny fluid on the floor. Looking up at the tranny I could see a couple of drops on the bottom of the CV joint.

I think it may be the seal pictured below. Anyone have any experience with replacing this seal? Is this a difficult fix? Does it require special tools?

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
MrKona
post Jan 4 2009, 11:48 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 4,469

I replaced that seal when I had my tranny out. Easy enough, just remove the output flange, and pull the old seal with a seal puller tool, available at any autoparts store. Tap a new seal in. Preferably, find a peice of PVC pipe with the proper diameter to help tap it in evenly. Although I just tapped mine in carefully with a rubber mallet.
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jan 4 2009, 12:00 PM
Post #3

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I have the seal if you need one. It is pretty easy to replace in the car. You will need a 19mm socket, and a drift or screwdriver. Once the CV is removed from the flange and pushed out of the way, stick the screwdriver or drift in one of the bolt holes in the flange and brace it against a rib in the case to keep the flange from spinning while you are loosening the 19mm bolt in the center of the flange. The bolt should be pretty easy to break loose. Once the bolt is out, just pull the flange out. Drive the old seal into the case and retrieve it. Clean the area and the seal surface. Get new seal and tap it in evenly and slowly until the outer surface of the seal is flush with the little lip in the seal surface.

I would drain some oil first. Let me know if you need the seal, I can have it in the mail tomorrow.
+Quote Post
Rav914
post Jan 4 2009, 12:23 PM
Post #4

All-weather fan

Member No.: 7,669

Thanks! Seems simple enough; not unlike the main seal behind the flywheel. I've done a few of those. Dr Evil I'll PM you details.

Nate
+Quote Post
McMark
post Jan 4 2009, 01:09 PM
Post #5

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

Yup. It's an easy one.
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Jan 4 2009, 03:29 PM
Post #6

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jan 4 2009, 01:00 PM) *

I have the seal if you need one. It is pretty easy to replace in the car. You will need a 19mm socket, and a drift or screwdriver. Once the CV is removed from the flange and pushed out of the way, stick the screwdriver or drift in one of the bolt holes in the flange and brace it against a rib in the case to keep the flange from spinning while you are loosening the 19mm bolt in the center of the flange. The bolt should be pretty easy to break loose. Once the bolt is out, just pull the flange out. Drive the old seal into the case and retrieve it. Clean the area and the seal surface. Get new seal and tap it in evenly and slowly until the outer surface of the seal is flush with the little lip in the seal surface.

I would drain some oil first. Let me know if you need the seal, I can have it in the mail tomorrow.

Dude....get a compressor already.

Rich
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 01:57 PM