Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Transmission leak at the CV joint
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rav914
I had recently changed the tranny oil and repacked the CV joint, in addition to a new CV boot. When I was adjusting the clutch cable I noticed a couple of drops of tranny fluid on the floor. Looking up at the tranny I could see a couple of drops on the bottom of the CV joint.

I think it may be the seal pictured below. Anyone have any experience with replacing this seal? Is this a difficult fix? Does it require special tools?

MrKona
I replaced that seal when I had my tranny out. Easy enough, just remove the output flange, and pull the old seal with a seal puller tool, available at any autoparts store. Tap a new seal in. Preferably, find a peice of PVC pipe with the proper diameter to help tap it in evenly. Although I just tapped mine in carefully with a rubber mallet.
Dr Evil
I have the seal if you need one. It is pretty easy to replace in the car. You will need a 19mm socket, and a drift or screwdriver. Once the CV is removed from the flange and pushed out of the way, stick the screwdriver or drift in one of the bolt holes in the flange and brace it against a rib in the case to keep the flange from spinning while you are loosening the 19mm bolt in the center of the flange. The bolt should be pretty easy to break loose. Once the bolt is out, just pull the flange out. Drive the old seal into the case and retrieve it. Clean the area and the seal surface. Get new seal and tap it in evenly and slowly until the outer surface of the seal is flush with the little lip in the seal surface.

I would drain some oil first. Let me know if you need the seal, I can have it in the mail tomorrow.
Rav914
Thanks! Seems simple enough; not unlike the main seal behind the flywheel. I've done a few of those. Dr Evil I'll PM you details.

Nate
McMark
Yup. It's an easy one.
r_towle
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jan 4 2009, 01:00 PM) *

I have the seal if you need one. It is pretty easy to replace in the car. You will need a 19mm socket, and a drift or screwdriver. Once the CV is removed from the flange and pushed out of the way, stick the screwdriver or drift in one of the bolt holes in the flange and brace it against a rib in the case to keep the flange from spinning while you are loosening the 19mm bolt in the center of the flange. The bolt should be pretty easy to break loose. Once the bolt is out, just pull the flange out. Drive the old seal into the case and retrieve it. Clean the area and the seal surface. Get new seal and tap it in evenly and slowly until the outer surface of the seal is flush with the little lip in the seal surface.

I would drain some oil first. Let me know if you need the seal, I can have it in the mail tomorrow.

Dude....get a compressor already.

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.