Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 74 + 911 Rear Hubs for 5 Lug Conversion, spacer thickness
J P Stein
post Jan 25 2009, 06:43 PM
Post #21

Irrelevant old fart

Group: Members
Member No.: 45
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Jan 25 2009, 04:22 PM) *

I have seen 914 CVs go at an AX and greg Fordahl likes to call them fuses so even though you have not had it happen I would guess they have been an issue.

Which would lead me to believe I'm really lucky or really good.....pick one. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

You did read the "most failures" part of my post, eh? When was the last time you put new bolts/schnor (sp?) washers/grease/gaskets on yours....and for about the 100th time over the years, 33 ft/lbs of torque. Fuses indeed....but somebody has to light em'....a little play on terms for today.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Jan 25 2009, 06:49 PM
Post #22

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Do you have any empirical data to back that up or are you just vomiting up your version of conventional wisdom?

Just vomit. My version of vomit but vomit nonetheless.

I am a firm believer in KISS and I ain't sellin' anything.

Me too. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/KMA.gif) I sell 914 CV's... not 911 CV's or Sway-a-Way axles. In fact; I don't "sell" anything I've recommended in this thread. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Jan 25 2009, 06:54 PM
Post #23

Irrelevant old fart

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jan 25 2009, 04:49 PM) *

I am a firm believer in KISS and I ain't sellin' anything.

Me too. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/KMA.gif) I sell 914 CV's... not 911 CV's or Sway-a-Way axles. In fact; I don't "sell" anything I've recommended in this thread. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

OK, that was a cheap shot, sorry. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)
+Quote Post
PeeGreen 914
post Jan 25 2009, 06:54 PM
Post #24

Just when you think you're done...wait, there is more..lol

Member No.: 6,884
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Well, one thing on doing the 944 CVs and other CV swaps you need to consider is what would you rather go? Would you rather break a $75 CV or a $1000+ box? In going with the 944CVs I feel that I still don't rish damage to the box but add a little more strength to the CVs and the hubs since I will get to use the hubcentric hubs rather than the 914-4 lug redrilled to five. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
PRS914-6
post Jan 25 2009, 09:23 PM
Post #25

Excellence Magazine Project 914 3.6

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 6,031

My version of the vomit....but just my opinion and YMMV (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I would not run stock 914 CV's with a big engine. I did it before and it left me stranded too many times. What happens is the cages break and the balls fall out maybe not at that moment but I assure you they will fall out at the most embarrassing moment you can imagine . I used 108 MM units with Sway-A-Way free floating race axles on the project car. NOTE: Porsche upgraded the CV's when power went up.

I prefer the hub-centric flanges. I don't like centering my wheels with a lug nut especially on a high speed car. Porsche quit that 35 years ago. My wheel barrow is OK for that though (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) . If you had to pay to re-drill the flanges why not just get the right ones that are reinforced around the studs? Doesn't make sense to me.....Have I re-drilled flanges? Yep, but still prefer the 911 items for big HP applications.

The 5mm spacer for the hub-centric flanges is easy but it's not worth the cleanup mess to make 1 set. If I get 3 or more people wanting them I'll make them for $25.00 a set.

I don't subscribe to the "you need something weak in the system to break to save something else" Usually doing so cost more in the long run. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

The above is just my opinion and not intended to insult anyone so please don't take it that way.
+Quote Post
PeeGreen 914
post Jan 25 2009, 11:35 PM
Post #26

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) This is why the mission to get everything for the 944 CVs with the 914 shafts that Andy did started. I pulled my engine for Winter projects and all and thought that since I had everything sitting on the shelf I should do this. I actually have the spacers you hade. I bought all the 911 stuff from Sean Conroy over a year ago and he had the spacers in there still in the envelope you sent them in (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) . I actually thought I had early 911 hubs until I looked at all the threads that talked about the hubcentric. The PO bought the redrilled hubs and I have always worried about those when I have 9" of race rubber on there (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif) . So I guess in doing this I will be killing a few birds with one stone (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) .
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Jan 26 2009, 10:27 AM
Post #27

PMB Performance

The PO bought the redrilled hubs and I have always worried about those when I have 9" of race rubber on there

Redrilled hubs will not fail. The issue is spline count vs. the proper stubaxle to get a real CV under there. There are no stub axles for larger CV's that fit a 914 hub. Redrilled hubs and stock CV's are an excellent choice for 914's up to 150hp. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif)
+Quote Post
hcdmueller
post Jan 26 2009, 10:42 AM
Post #28

?????????????

Member No.: 5,527
Region Association: England

Sign me up for the 5mm spacers. I want to go hub-centric on my car. I bought a set of repro 914/6 stubs on german ebay. Now I just need the spacer.
+Quote Post
PeeGreen 914
post Jan 26 2009, 11:41 AM
Post #29

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jan 26 2009, 08:27 AM) *

The PO bought the redrilled hubs and I have always worried about those when I have 9" of race rubber on there

Redrilled hubs will not fail. The issue is spline count vs. the proper stubaxle to get a real CV under there. There are no stub axles for larger CV's that fit a 914 hub. Redrilled hubs and stock CV's are an excellent choice for 914's up to 150hp. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) I did not know that. Well, now that my engine will have more HP it is good I am doing this (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
charliew
post Jan 27 2009, 09:25 PM
Post #30

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,958

I'm a little shadtree but I think this will work. If it won't enlighten me please.
It seems like in Wilhelms case you could take the little additional length at the end of the axles for the c clips you gotta have that. Then let the control arms droop to the amount that the shocks will allow and measure from the bolt flange surface from the tranny flange to the stub flange at the center say the front or rear surface of the flange, If they are not parallel use the longer side. That length plus the c clip amount on each end is the extended length. Measure both sides in case the tranny is closer to one side than the other. Now make a broomstick, a piece of conduit or whatever that length. Set the control arm at the shortest position in relation to the tranny and see if the fake axle bottoms out in the pockets in the center of the flanges. While it's there mark where the inside of the cv's will be, where the boot flange sets on the cv. That should show how long the splines need to be from each end. If the fake axle bottoms out in the flanges it will have to be shorter and the amount of droop will need to be shortened or the tranny can be moved further rearward to allow for the longer axle.
+Quote Post
brp986s
post Jan 27 2009, 09:46 PM
Post #31

Member No.: 8,167

There are no stub axles for larger CV's that fit a 914 hub. Redrilled hubs and stock CV's are an excellent choice for 914's up to 150hp.

100 mm CV stubs fit in 914-6 hubs, which means they fit in 914-4 hubs, less 1 lug, right?
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Jan 28 2009, 11:03 AM
Post #32

PMB Performance

100 mm CV stubs fit in 914-6 hubs, which means they fit in 914-4 hubs, less 1 lug, right?

Nada (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

100mm stubs "do" fit 914-6 hubs (which are actually early 911 hubs) because, inside that hub, the 100mm stub axles and the hub share the same 911 slpine count.

The 914-4, on the other hand, does not share the 911 spline count inside it's hub so... only 914 stub axles fit inside 914 hubs, hence the popular and least expensive conversion to redrill the hub for 5-lug; no other changes are needed to the drive line.
+Quote Post
post Jan 28 2009, 05:12 PM
Post #33

Member No.: 3,909
Region Association: Hawaii

I'm in for a set of spacers. Let me know payment specifics if this goes through.
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Jan 28 2009, 07:32 PM
Post #34

PMB Performance

I am too... there's 3. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Jan 28 2009, 09:10 PM
Post #35

Irrelevant old fart

QUOTE(PRS914-6 @ Jan 25 2009, 07:23 PM) *

I prefer the hub-centric flanges. I don't like centering my wheels with a lug nut especially on a high speed car. Porsche quit that 35 years ago. My wheel barrow is OK for that though (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) . If you had to pay to re-drill the flanges why not just get the right ones that are reinforced around the studs? Doesn't make sense to me.....Have I re-drilled flanges? Yep, but still prefer the 911 items for big HP applications.

One look at the lug nuts and receptacles for same on 911 Fuch wheels (amongst others) tells one what centers the wheels. Load that into your wheel barrow.

I do use the early flange hubs and recommend them to anyone that asks....don't think much of the later ones for a five lug drill job. Tho they seem to work, I don't trust them.
+Quote Post
shoguneagle
post Jan 29 2009, 08:49 AM
Post #36

shoguneagle

Member No.: 84
Region Association: Northern California

You can add me to the list for #4. Just let me know where to send the funds and when.

Steve Hurt
+Quote Post
PRS914-6
post Jan 29 2009, 06:53 PM
Post #37

Excellence Magazine Project 914 3.6

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 6,031

One look at the lug nuts and receptacles for same on 911 Fuch wheels (amongst others) tells one what centers the wheels. Load that into your wheel barrow.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) I don't get it....

Just so everyone is clear on this. Lug nut centering will NEVER be as good as a hub centric wheel set up. The hub fits tightly in the machined hole in the center of the wheel to perfectly locate it. The wheel can not be moved off center by worn lug nuts, poorly machined lug nuts, sloppy threads on the lug nuts and various other factors including a poorly drilled 5 lug pattern (even factory ones) or galled and worn lug nut sockets in the wheels. Lug nuts have some looseness on the threads and I have seen the ball portion of many lug nuts wobble as you spin them on. Is this how you want to center your high performance wheels? Will it work? Sure. I'm just saying that hub centric is a much better way to center a wheel than lug nuts. I'll stick to my wheel barrow......

Next week I'll try to machine up some spacers and will post when finished. Got to gather up some material.....
+Quote Post
PeeGreen 914
post Jan 29 2009, 09:30 PM
Post #38

Hey Paul. I just pressed in my hubs using the spacers you made (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) . Fits perfectly (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
charliew
post Feb 20 2009, 10:31 PM
Post #39

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,958

I forgot to anti up for these. Any left? Or I can wait for the next batch.
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Feb 20 2009, 11:33 PM
Post #40

PMB Performance

I need another set... I think that's 6 Paul. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 02:01 AM