Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> HELP Just did tune up and now it will not start., Help TUNEUP
jc914
post Jan 18 2009, 04:14 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,548
Region Association: South East States

I just changed the spark plugs after 7 years from my mechanic when i pulled them they were Bosch Platinum ( a no no for our cars) so i replaced them with Bosch wr7cc. I also changed the distributor cap, rotor, (cables were in great conditions). I also connect a Oil Pressure gauge and a CHT Gauge (connected it to cylinder 3).
The car has a Pertronix IgnitorI. The old Coil had a resistor on top. I replaced it with a Bosch blue Coil. when I reconnected the cables the car would not start.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif) I think what happen was I connected the Positive black wire from the ignition to the negative side of the coil.

When I reconnected:
Red cable from the Pertronix to + of coil
all black cables to Negative of coil (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

REWIRED to ( after reading some post)
Solid Black cable to + of coil
Black cable with purple strip to negative of coil Tach cable
Black cable from Pertronics to Negative of Coil

Did I Fried the Pertronix Ignitor. I tested the coil after re wired and with the ignition on it gives me i think 12v. Is there any way to test the pertronix to see if it is fried if it is I want to buy the Pertronix IgnitorII I went to there website and they have many which model to i get

http://www.shopatron.com/index/pg=3/591.0.26484.26486.0.0.0

or is the
Crane Cams 700-0300 a better option

THANKS
JC
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Jan 18 2009, 05:23 PM
Post #2

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(jc914 @ Jan 18 2009, 05:14 PM) *

I just changed the spark plugs after 7 years from my mechanic when i pulled them they were Bosch Platinum ( a no no for our cars) so i replaced them with Bosch wr7cc. I also changed the distributor cap, rotor, (cables were in great conditions). I also connect a Oil Pressure gauge and a CHT Gauge (connected it to cylinder 3).
The car has a Pertronix IgnitorI. The old Coil had a resistor on top. I replaced it with a Bosch blue Coil. when I reconnected the cables the car would not start.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif) I think what happen was I connected the Positive black wire from the ignition to the negative side of the coil.

When I reconnected:
all black cables to Negative of coil (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

REWIRED to ( after reading some post)
Solid Black cable to + of coil
Black cable with purple strip to negative of coil Tach cable
Black cable from Pertronics to Negative of Coil

Did I Fried the Pertronix Ignitor. I tested the coil after re wired and with the ignition on it gives me i think 12v. Is there any way to test the pertronix to see if it is fried if it is I want to buy the Pertronix IgnitorII I went to there website and they have many which model to i get

http://www.shopatron.com/index/pg=3/591.0.26484.26486.0.0.0

or is the
Crane Cams 700-0300 a better option

THANKS
JC

You killed the petronix...get a set of points.
The cost 4 bucks.
Rich
+Quote Post
markb
post Jan 18 2009, 05:49 PM
Post #3

914less :(

Member No.: 180
Region Association: Central California

Get a set of points. Get it running, then decide Crane or Pertronix.
+Quote Post
jc914
post Jan 18 2009, 06:55 PM
Post #4

Thanks that what i thought. I want to get the pertonix ignitor II does anyone know what model number
+Quote Post
carcam
post Jan 18 2009, 08:20 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 9,334

QUOTE(jc914 @ Jan 18 2009, 07:55 PM) *

Thanks that what i thought. I want to get the pertonix ignitor II does anyone know what model number

Just did the same thing and I didn't have the rotor snapped down all the way...
+Quote Post
ericread
post Jan 18 2009, 08:43 PM
Post #6

The Viper Blue 914

Member No.: 8,432
Region Association: Southern California

Yep, you fried the Pertronix. Unfortunately the Ignitor-2 has never been made compatible with your 914, so you'll need to stay with the original Ignitor.

Regardless of the naysayers, the Pertronix is a good device, it just really hates being hooked up backwards... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

I think the bird site has them for around $70.

Eric Read
+Quote Post
jc914
post Jan 18 2009, 08:48 PM
Post #7

Thanks Eric Mine lasted for 7 years until my stupid (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif) mistake to day
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th May 2024 - 05:55 AM