Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HELP Just did tune up and now it will not start.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jc914
I just changed the spark plugs after 7 years from my mechanic when i pulled them they were Bosch Platinum ( a no no for our cars) so i replaced them with Bosch wr7cc. I also changed the distributor cap, rotor, (cables were in great conditions). I also connect a Oil Pressure gauge and a CHT Gauge (connected it to cylinder 3).
The car has a Pertronix IgnitorI. The old Coil had a resistor on top. I replaced it with a Bosch blue Coil. when I reconnected the cables the car would not start.

chair.gif I think what happen was I connected the Positive black wire from the ignition to the negative side of the coil.

When I reconnected:
Red cable from the Pertronix to + of coil
all black cables to Negative of coil chair.gif chair.gif chair.gif chair.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif

REWIRED to ( after reading some post)
Solid Black cable to + of coil
Black cable with purple strip to negative of coil Tach cable
Black cable from Pertronics to Negative of Coil

Did I Fried the Pertronix Ignitor. I tested the coil after re wired and with the ignition on it gives me i think 12v. Is there any way to test the pertronix to see if it is fried if it is I want to buy the Pertronix IgnitorII I went to there website and they have many which model to i get

http://www.shopatron.com/index/pg=3/591.0.26484.26486.0.0.0

or is the
Crane Cams 700-0300 a better option

THANKS
JC
r_towle
QUOTE(jc914 @ Jan 18 2009, 05:14 PM) *

I just changed the spark plugs after 7 years from my mechanic when i pulled them they were Bosch Platinum ( a no no for our cars) so i replaced them with Bosch wr7cc. I also changed the distributor cap, rotor, (cables were in great conditions). I also connect a Oil Pressure gauge and a CHT Gauge (connected it to cylinder 3).
The car has a Pertronix IgnitorI. The old Coil had a resistor on top. I replaced it with a Bosch blue Coil. when I reconnected the cables the car would not start.

chair.gif I think what happen was I connected the Positive black wire from the ignition to the negative side of the coil.

When I reconnected:
all black cables to Negative of coil chair.gif chair.gif chair.gif chair.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif

REWIRED to ( after reading some post)
Solid Black cable to + of coil
Black cable with purple strip to negative of coil Tach cable
Black cable from Pertronics to Negative of Coil

Did I Fried the Pertronix Ignitor. I tested the coil after re wired and with the ignition on it gives me i think 12v. Is there any way to test the pertronix to see if it is fried if it is I want to buy the Pertronix IgnitorII I went to there website and they have many which model to i get

http://www.shopatron.com/index/pg=3/591.0.26484.26486.0.0.0

or is the
Crane Cams 700-0300 a better option

THANKS
JC

You killed the petronix...get a set of points.
The cost 4 bucks.
Rich
markb
Get a set of points. Get it running, then decide Crane or Pertronix.
jc914
Thanks that what i thought. I want to get the pertonix ignitor II does anyone know what model number
carcam
QUOTE(jc914 @ Jan 18 2009, 07:55 PM) *

Thanks that what i thought. I want to get the pertonix ignitor II does anyone know what model number

Just did the same thing and I didn't have the rotor snapped down all the way...
ericread
Yep, you fried the Pertronix. Unfortunately the Ignitor-2 has never been made compatible with your 914, so you'll need to stay with the original Ignitor.

Regardless of the naysayers, the Pertronix is a good device, it just really hates being hooked up backwards... sad.gif

I think the bird site has them for around $70.

Eric Read
jc914
Thanks Eric Mine lasted for 7 years until my stupid chair.gif mistake to day
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.