Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Carbs, 9300'above sea level
GeorgeRud
post Jan 27 2009, 11:55 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,482
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Scott's got it right, the mountain locations are some of the finest locations. My wife and I have been to many Parades, and the ones in the mountains are always out favorites. Steamboat and Mt. Tremblant were both sensational, and Colorado Springs was also great (though just on the edge of the mountains).

If you can manage the trip, the Parade is great, and a lot of fun for all. I'm also affected by the altitude, but if you take it easy, you can get by with the lower oxygen saturation. The picture does pretty much say it all, it's beautiful.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
6freak
post Jan 28 2009, 09:14 AM
Post #22

MR.C

Member No.: 8,829
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

i agree with you ..two years ago in SD cali the smoge was so thick you could cut it with a knife....I love the mountains and the clean air...but anyway i did get ahold of Allen Johnsen(Grand Juntion Colorado,,,Nice guy) and he set me strait about what to do with the carbs and timing and i already have the other jets so i will just need ajust and tune before i load it in the hauler and hit the road..Thanks you all for your help

Mike
A.K.A 6Freak

+Quote Post
6freak
post Jun 5 2009, 04:02 PM
Post #23

MR.C

QUOTE(Scott Schroeder @ Jan 27 2009, 01:12 PM) *

Here is one reason for the location choice - this is where the concour will be (right off my deck!) As well the parking lot for the AX is giant (several acres). and backs right up to the new base area at the resort.

Why would you want to be in just another city location, with the logistical hassles? When in Colorado, dont you want to actually experience Colorado?

Is that your house Scott??..Just thought i would start this thread up again cuzz. why not getting close to Parade 09 ...My goal for Parade is to beat Terry Zocone in hes 69? 911 (por old marcel)...he is the AX master and i came in second the last three times we meet by just a second+ in our group ..I told him he was gun`n for him now i have to back up the smack talk
+Quote Post
Scott S
post Jun 5 2009, 04:10 PM
Post #24

Small Member

Member No.: 633

That picture was taken from the deck....

I just responded to your other post too. Looking forward to meeting you!
+Quote Post
dkjens
post Jun 5 2009, 10:06 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 9,785
Region Association: None

QUOTE(6freak @ Jun 5 2009, 03:02 PM) *

QUOTE(Scott Schroeder @ Jan 27 2009, 01:12 PM) *

Here is one reason for the location choice - this is where the concour will be (right off my deck!) As well the parking lot for the AX is giant (several acres). and backs right up to the new base area at the resort.

Why would you want to be in just another city location, with the logistical hassles? When in Colorado, dont you want to actually experience Colorado?

Is that your house Scott??..Just thought i would start this thread up again cuzz. why not getting close to Parade 09 ...My goal for Parade is to beat Terry Zocone in hes 69? 911 (por old marcel)...he is the AX master and i came in second the last three times we meet by just a second+ in our group ..I told him he was gun`n for him now i have to back up the smack talk

Ah, the reasoning for all the tuning concern he he.
+Quote Post
6freak
post Jun 8 2009, 09:45 AM
Post #26

MR.C

so if anyone has any tips or any kind of advice I`m all ears ...I really need to knock this guy off the top at least one time(All in good fun of course)he knows I wanna bet him bad...and this mite be my best shot...2010 Parade is in Chicago..and I`m gonna pass on that one
+Quote Post
Zundfolge
post Jun 8 2009, 10:50 AM
Post #27

Member No.: 7,994
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I live a little higher than Gint (about 6400 feet here on the west side of Colorado Springs) and I love taking the little run up US 24 to Woodland Park* which is almost 8500 ft and honestly I don't notice the difference in my carbed 2.0 (which was last properly tuned and jetted when I lived at 1200 ft in Kansas). All I really notice is that my car gets quieter (unless I yawn or am chewing gum (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) ).

Someday I really need to run the teener up Pikes Peak Highway and see how it handles 14k.

No, you're not going to run your best time ever, but it should still be a fun AutoX anyway.

Oh and for those of you flatlanders worried about altitude sickness, that really doesn't kick in until you get over 10k ... just drink more water than you do down there by the sea, cut your alcohol intake at least in half, and you'll be fine.

*Love to take the little detour through Green Mountain Falls ... stop by the "lake" and get a cup of coffee at The Mucky Duck or The Pantry.
+Quote Post
6freak
post Jun 8 2009, 01:26 PM
Post #28

MR.C

I could actually leave it alone and it would just run rich from what i understand.RIGHT ?? Yes im bringing an extra set of plugs...I just really want it set for the best performance i can get because I know Terry Z will have his car set up to run the best it can at that altitude..But your right no matter what it will be fun ..Ive been reading up on the altitude stuff and they did say lots of water and half the booze (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jun 8 2009, 01:31 PM
Post #29

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Zundfolge @ Jun 8 2009, 08:50 AM) *

cut your alcohol intake at least in half

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
6freak
post Jun 8 2009, 01:37 PM
Post #30

MR.C

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 8 2009, 12:31 PM) *

no shit ..Im in trouble
+Quote Post
Zundfolge
post Jun 8 2009, 05:14 PM
Post #31

Member No.: 7,994

QUOTE(6freak @ Jun 8 2009, 12:37 PM) *

no shit ..Im in trouble

No, actually you'll save some money ... you flatlanders will enjoy economy drinking up here as it will require less alcohol to achieve you're preferred level of inebriation (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Keep in mind that at altitude hydration is of the utmost importance ... if you're not hydrating while you're drinking expect a worse hangover.
+Quote Post
Gint
post Jun 8 2009, 07:34 PM
Post #32

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20

QUOTE(Zundfolge @ Jun 8 2009, 09:50 AM) *
Someday I really need to run the teener up Pikes Peak Highway and see how it handles 14k.

Above 10-11k is like a punch in the gut running carbs. Towards the top of Pike's Peak you'll be thankful for low end torque 'cause the motor won't breath much. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
6freak
post Jun 9 2009, 09:17 AM
Post #33

MR.C

QUOTE(Zundfolge @ Jun 8 2009, 04:14 PM) *

QUOTE(6freak @ Jun 8 2009, 12:37 PM) *

no shit ..Im in trouble

No, actually you'll save some money ... you flatlanders will enjoy economy drinking up here as it will require less alcohol to achieve you're preferred level of inebriation (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

very good point ....boy thats a +
+Quote Post
6freak
post Jun 17 2009, 01:34 PM
Post #34

MR.C

getten ready to change the carbs go`n down 10 ..so if there 150 mains i go down to 140 mains and so on.. sound ok ?....And one more thing ...Tire pressure I add more air RIGHT??I`ve got new Hoosiers so i was thinking nitrogen..@ 36psi back and 34psi front .or maybe add 10 more in each cause im gonna lose some going up to that altitude...sound ok? ...Im starting to get nervous..Like im not gonna get it right ...Thanks in advance...Calling AJRS Racing...Allen Johnson right now... Grand Juntion CO
Mike

One more thing does anybody know what the euro spec`s are on the stock 6 carbs ..Thats what i have to start with
+Quote Post
Tom
post Jun 17 2009, 02:20 PM
Post #35

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,626

Mike,
Wouldn't you want less air pressure in the tires? The air pressure outside them will go down the higher you get. I'm not a racer, but it just seems like more air pressure in the tires would overpressure them at high altitude. ???
Tom
+Quote Post
6freak
post Jun 17 2009, 02:45 PM
Post #36

MR.C

QUOTE(Tom @ Jun 17 2009, 01:20 PM) *

Mike,
Wouldn't you want less air pressure in the tires? The air pressure outside them will go down the higher you get. I'm not a racer, but it just seems like more air pressure in the tires would overpressure them at high altitude. ???
Tom

Hell i dont know . (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) ...sounds lodgical ..Kinda like the clutch ajuster though,....,loose`n the nut to get more clutch seems backwards to me but thats how it works .....No longer laugh`n cause i thought i had it right and was just look`n for some confirmation ...But ya f*#@ me all up now (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
biosurfer1
post Jun 17 2009, 03:32 PM
Post #37

Teener fo Life!

Member No.: 977
Region Association: Northern California

remove air....think of what a bag of potato chips does the higher you go
+Quote Post
jmill
post Jun 17 2009, 03:56 PM
Post #38

Green Hornet

Member No.: 9,038
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(6freak @ Jun 17 2009, 02:34 PM) *

getten ready to change the carbs go`n down 10 ..so if there 150 mains i go down to 140 mains and so on.. sound ok ?....

Going down on the mains is the right idea. You could go with bigger A/C jets but they have more of an effect at higher velocities. The smaller mains will help you from 3K and up. You might be rich up to 3K since your keeping the same idle jets. Since it's an AX I don't expect you to be that low except at the start. You can tweek your idle mixture screws in a bit to help but the fuel from the progression ports don't run through the mixture screw. You could go crazy and step down your idle jets but like I said your engine will most likely be running on the mains 99% of the time.
+Quote Post
6freak
post Jun 17 2009, 03:57 PM
Post #39

MR.C

QUOTE(biosurfer1 @ Jun 17 2009, 02:32 PM) *

remove air....think of what a bag of potato chips does the higher you go

the higher i get the more the chips disappear(muchies) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) ...now thats funny ....really! so your say`n the bag will inflate. i guess that makes sence...guess i just have to play with pressures....now that brings up the ? what about truck and trailer tires (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) they gonna be over inflated ....I`M so lost
+Quote Post
Tom
post Jun 17 2009, 04:03 PM
Post #40

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,626

So what's new! You were lost before. too funny man, you crack me up! Anyone given you a new nic-name yet? TLRK?
Tom
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th June 2024 - 09:02 PM