Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Official: 2009 914 Shootout Thread, How many of the Norcal guys wanna come up and try some payback
drgchapman
post Feb 13 2009, 11:01 AM
Post #1

Current Stable

Group: NoClassifiedAccess
Member No.: 2,789
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Event: 2009 914 Shootout
Venue: Hampton Mills, Packwood WA
Date: August 8-9,2009

Come one come all! We will be welcoming many NWPCA guys as well as any Norcal guys as wanna come and try us on our own turf. My glove slaps your face!

It will be a 2 day combined event between the Oregon Region PCA and the Northwest Region PCA and we are expecting around 120-150cars. As last year, we will piggyback the 914 Shootout onto the PCA events.

Packwood Washington is located at the base of Mt. Rainer. You can find all the information you need to know on : http://www.destinationpackwood.com/index.cfm

This is the same location that the SCCA National Tour is held every year. It features an expansive field of asphalt and a very large building that will hold upwards of 200cars and trailers. It is a very nice place to visit with many outdoor things to do and antique shops to visit for the SO and kids.

As for lodging, we will have to check with Hampton Lumber Mills if we will be allowed to camp onsite. For those more civilized folks, there are plenty of hotel/motel/cabin options available, again check the above web site.

Here is picture of the venue, it is huge and flat!

Attached Image

Here are some of links to some National event runs and a guy some of you may know:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcS-gXJ-jgU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udlFJK8bzhk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYtST_N5Flc

Hope to see many of you this coming August. We are planning catered food, possibly a band on Saturday night...if we will pay them....could be a great party!
Let's get some committments and then see how much fun we can have.
More to come.....
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
PeeGreen 914
post Feb 13 2009, 11:36 AM
Post #2

Just when you think you're done...wait, there is more..lol

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,884

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) Sweet, I will be there. Is Tim going to design a course? I love his course designs and he is a 914 owner to boot (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) I will be seeing him tomorrow at out local PCA autocross.

Looking forward to it Gary (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
6freak
post Feb 13 2009, 11:38 AM
Post #3

MR.C

Member No.: 8,829

Guy in the second vid doesnt appear to be wearing a seat belt ??? ...I know I`ll be there for the PNWPCA event
+Quote Post
6freak
post Feb 13 2009, 11:42 AM
Post #4

MR.C

QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Feb 13 2009, 09:36 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) Sweet, I will be there. Is Tim going to design a course? I love his course designs and he is a 914 owner to boot (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) I will be seeing him tomorrow at out local PCA autocross.

Looking forward to it Gary (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Jon maybe you and Mr JP cant settle your smack down there... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) lol (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
PeeGreen 914
post Feb 13 2009, 11:49 AM
Post #5

Third video JP?

Second video was cool but he looked like a mad man (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) .
+Quote Post
PeeGreen 914
post Feb 13 2009, 11:53 AM
Post #6

QUOTE(6freak @ Feb 13 2009, 09:42 AM) *

QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Feb 13 2009, 09:36 AM) *

Jon maybe you and Mr JP cant settle your smack down there... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) lol (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Oh we will. Like Isaid, I just want to be within a second of him. Now be clear on this JP... it is you and NOT Britian I am talking about. Car owner VS car owner. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) Matt, The RS America driver from last year that was close to Britian, will be co-driving my car with me this year. I am sure he will be very close to Britian as he is one of the more talented drivers I have seen and he is generally a second faster than me (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) . (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
6freak
post Feb 13 2009, 01:34 PM
Post #7

MR.C

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Feb 14 2009, 09:53 AM
Post #8

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45
Region Association: None

I'm about 3 seconds slower than Brit on a big Packwood course, so you have a shot...but bring your A game......most of the CA guys at the last Shoot Out didn't & look at what happened. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) I'm sure they won't make that mistake again.
So, if you're setting your sights on me, you're aiming low.
+Quote Post
Randal
post Feb 14 2009, 11:26 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 750

QUOTE(J P Stein @ Feb 14 2009, 07:53 AM) *

I'm about 3 seconds slower than Brit on a big Packwood course, so you have a shot...but bring your A game......most of the CA guys at the last Shoot Out didn't & look at what happened. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) I'm sure they won't make that mistake again.
So, if you're setting your sights on me, you're aiming low.

Sure would be fun to trailer up there and run the event. Who knows, maybe the car will be sorted by that time, given alignment of the planets and all that stuff.

I didn't believe Larry Sharp when he said it would take a ton of time to get my car sorted - like pluck you magic twanger froggie.....

http://michelesworld.net/dmm/frog/gremlin/plunk.htm
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Feb 14 2009, 11:51 AM
Post #10

Irrelevant old fart

"Hi ya, kids, hi ya, hi ya"
Ya gotta be old to remember that line.

Yes, "sorting" takes time."Re-sorting" takes almost as long after a winter project.
When you've been dicking with the same car for years, it gets easier tho.....you find out A)what works, B)what don't & C)how to go about it. You also start running out of winter projects. Starting fresh is something I'd just as soon not do again.

By the time the Shoot Out rolls around, you should be ready as you're gonna get for the year....or rethink your ABCs. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Feb 14 2009, 12:30 PM
Post #11

Irrelevant old fart

QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Feb 13 2009, 09:49 AM) *

Third video JP?

Second video was cool but he looked like a mad man (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) .

The guy in the 2nd vid was Scott Frazer in his CSP Miata outta Nor Cal.......mad man?
That was his first pass and it was the quickest CSP run of the day by about a second.... cept for his last run... if memory serves.....this is in a class usually won by hundredths.
Yes, the NW CSP big dogs were there. I should be so mad. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
(edit)
OK, a half second

C Street Prepared Drivers: 8 Trophies: 3
T 1 99 Scott Fraser 1991 Mazda Miata Blue Hoosier 53.317 54.115 53.547 107.204
[199] , 54.446 53.887 57.932(2)
T 2 199 Tom Kubo 1991 Mazda Miata Blu Hoosier 55.343 54.468 54.008 108.265
[99] Folsom, CA San Franci 54.819 56.829(1) 54.257 (1.061)
T 3 190 Ron Bauer 2007 Mazda MX-5 Blu Kumho 58.263(2) 54.468 54.251 108.356
[90] Renton, WA Kumho, Mazmart, Fordahl Northwest 55.748 54.372 54.105 (0.091)
4 90 Jim Daniels 2007 Mazda MX-5 Blu Kumho 55.434 54.795 54.836 109.219
[190] Gladstone, OR Oregon Reg DNF 54.846 54.424 (0.863)
+Quote Post
Randal
post Feb 14 2009, 06:49 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 750

QUOTE(J P Stein @ Feb 14 2009, 09:51 AM) *

Yes, "sorting" takes time."Re-sorting" takes almost as long after a winter project.
When you've been dicking with the same car for years, it gets easier tho.....you find out A)what works, B)what don't & C)how to go about it. You also start running out of winter projects. Starting fresh is something I'd just as soon not do again.

By the time the Shoot Out rolls around, you should be ready as you're gonna get for the year....or rethink your ABCs. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Na, ya gotta be old if you sat around on Sunday nights listening to "The Shadow" before they had TV!

PS

The motor is now back together with dual valve springs and titanium retainers. Thanks to Len Hoffman who did the work on the heads and is a great guy on any project.

We are having to put 7mm lash caps on as there was no clearance between the Pauter rockers and the (new) titanium retainers, i.e., the titanium retainers are thicker than steel. When I receive the caps (80thousands) we might have to mill off a bit after we do a test fit. Hopefully the Manley caps are heat treated sufficiently to allow us to take off a bit; got to check that with them.

We don't want to alter the Pauter rocker ratio to much.

Should be interesting when we confirm/alter the fuel map on the Link ECU after 6200 RPM and see what we have.
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Feb 15 2009, 09:19 AM
Post #13

Irrelevant old fart

"Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of man? The Shadow knows."
BTDT. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
PeeGreen 914
post Feb 15 2009, 09:47 AM
Post #14

Think this should be posted in the garage as well? I think more people would see it and plan on going if it was (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) .
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Feb 15 2009, 11:18 AM
Post #15

Irrelevant old fart

QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Feb 15 2009, 07:47 AM) *

Think this should be posted in the garage as well? I think more people would see it and plan on going if it was (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) .

I posted the topic back in mid January......few replies.
I like it here, less "noise"..... however, you have a computer, feel free.
+Quote Post
PeeGreen 914
post Feb 15 2009, 11:41 AM
Post #16

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) I'll wait a little while before I do then. It is more your guys deal as I understand it. I talked with Tim about it yesterday at the AX and he said there is much planning to do but he is very excited about it as well and believes it should be a great event. I believe Leeds is going to be down there but not too sure and I talked with Greg and he said he will try. He just isn't sure how his race schedule is at the moment.

This event, to me, is much bigger than any WCR or other type of 914 event as autocrossing is the reason I got into 914s. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
Solo914
post Feb 15 2009, 12:36 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 5,678

QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Feb 15 2009, 09:41 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) I'll wait a little while before I do then. It is more your guys deal as I understand it. I talked with Tim about it yesterday at the AX and he said there is much planning to do but he is very excited about it as well and believes it should be a great event. I believe Leeds is going to be down there but not too sure and I talked with Greg and he said he will try. He just isn't sure how his race schedule is at the moment.

This event, to me, is much bigger than any WCR or other type of 914 event as autocrossing is the reason I got into 914s. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Jon,

Good times yesterday Jon. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) The car felt pretty good, I was told by quite a few people that I was lifting the inside front wheel alot, "like three inches". Its a little different driving a car that really has more grip than power, maybe we should change that. hmm, should I build a 4 or finish the 2.8-6 and start the conversion....... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Kyle

Oh, yeah. Jon and JP, I have autoxed some pretty fast cars, but if your cars are as fast or faster than Eric Fry's 914-6...wow. I road in it yesterday and with a stock 2.7 runing carbs with stock fuel injected cams that car felt real quick. Makes me wonder what a well built 2.4-2.7 would feel like.
+Quote Post
PeeGreen 914
post Feb 15 2009, 01:50 PM
Post #18

Yeaterday was ablast. I can't wait to see how my car runs and how it compairs to Erics. It was a little hairy driving Matts car ith one of the tires on cords but still fun as always. Your car was looking very good out there Kyle.
+Quote Post
6freak
post Feb 16 2009, 10:16 AM
Post #19

MR.C

QUOTE(Solo914 @ Feb 15 2009, 10:36 AM) *

Jon,

Good times yesterday Jon. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) The car felt pretty good, I was told by quite a few people that I was lifting the inside front wheel alot, "like three inches". Its a little different driving a car that really has more grip than power, maybe we should change that. hmm, should I build a 4 or finish the 2.8-6 and start the conversion....... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Kyle

Oh, yeah. Jon and JP, I have autoxed some pretty fast cars, but if your cars are as fast or faster than Eric Fry's 914-6...wow. I road in it yesterday and with a stock 2.7 runing carbs with stock fuel injected cams that car felt real quick. Makes me wonder what a well built 2.4-2.7 would feel like.

Dang i wish i would have been there now ...Kyle what size rear springs you running..bigger would help that issue..Imo i think you should pump up the four ,,kind of a plug `n play deal ....cost saver too
+Quote Post
Solo914
post Feb 16 2009, 06:07 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 5,678

QUOTE(6freak @ Feb 16 2009, 08:16 AM) *

QUOTE(Solo914 @ Feb 15 2009, 10:36 AM) *

Jon,

Kyle

Dang i wish i would have been there now ...Kyle what size rear springs you running..bigger would help that issue..Imo i think you should pump up the four ,,kind of a plug `n play deal ....cost saver too

I want to say that they are 140lb rear springs but I can't remember. Basically, I bought them used on Koni reds(hydraulic but adjustable) off of ebay just to get the car back on the road a few years ago(rears were shot). I knew that they looked a little thicker but can't remember exactly what they were.

I think that I am going to go with a bigger front bar(I have a 3/4" speedway bar, may go up to 1"), 21mm front torsions, 200lb rear springs and I may change shocks as well(koni yellows or maybe revalved and shortened bilsteins), no rear bar. This is not going to be a autox only car but I do like my cars to be on the edge of streetable.

Kyle
+Quote Post

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd May 2024 - 07:34 AM