Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Help needed with Electrical problem
bobhasissues
post Feb 15 2009, 08:36 PM
Post #1

seemingly endless issues with my 914

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,532
Region Association: None

My '74 is blowing fuse #9 when I use the right turn signal. It also blows #11 when I turn on the hazard lights. It appears something is shorting along the passenger side turn signal circuit(s) but I don't know where. The bulbs are good and the sockets are clean. I have two working flasher relays and get the same result with either relay. I would like to disconnect the front and rear signal circuits as close to the flasher relay as possible and test them individually to see if the short is in the front or rear circuit, but I don't know where to find the junction of the front & rear of this circuit. Any advice or another strategy to weed this out would be greatly appreciated.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
zonedoubt
post Feb 15 2009, 09:08 PM
Post #2

Canadian Member

Member No.: 696
Region Association: Canada

Start by tucking into the factory shop manual circuit diagram (which can also be found in the Haynes manual).

The diagram designates connection points and their location in the vehicle.

QUOTE(bobhasissues @ Feb 15 2009, 06:36 PM) *

My '74 is blowing fuse #9 when I use the right turn signal. It also blows #11 when I turn on the hazard lights. It appears something is shorting along the passenger side turn signal circuit(s) but I don't know where. The bulbs are good and the sockets are clean. I have two working flasher relays and get the same result with either relay. I would like to disconnect the front and rear signal circuits as close to the flasher relay as possible and test them individually to see if the short is in the front or rear circuit, but I don't know where to find the junction of the front & rear of this circuit. Any advice or another strategy to weed this out would be greatly appreciated.

+Quote Post
rascobo
post Feb 15 2009, 09:10 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 7,948
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Pelican Parts has a tech section where full color wiring diagrams (much easier to read than those found in 'Haynes) can be downloaded free. You'll want parts 1 & 2 as well as the entire 'current flow chart and component discription page that accompanies it. Once You figure out how to read these charts You can trace virtually any electrical problem.
Hope this helps, good luck.
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Feb 15 2009, 09:22 PM
Post #4

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439
Region Association: None

Check the wires to the front and rear turn signals. I'm betting there's something hooked up wrong.
+Quote Post
904svo
post Feb 15 2009, 09:39 PM
Post #5

904SVO

Member No.: 5,146

Did you do any electrical work on the car? sounds like something is shorted. Try
removing the light bulbs and see if the fuses blow. Make sure you have the right
bulbs in the sockets.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 04:18 PM