Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help needed with Electrical problem
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bobhasissues
My '74 is blowing fuse #9 when I use the right turn signal. It also blows #11 when I turn on the hazard lights. It appears something is shorting along the passenger side turn signal circuit(s) but I don't know where. The bulbs are good and the sockets are clean. I have two working flasher relays and get the same result with either relay. I would like to disconnect the front and rear signal circuits as close to the flasher relay as possible and test them individually to see if the short is in the front or rear circuit, but I don't know where to find the junction of the front & rear of this circuit. Any advice or another strategy to weed this out would be greatly appreciated.
zonedoubt
Start by tucking into the factory shop manual circuit diagram (which can also be found in the Haynes manual).

The diagram designates connection points and their location in the vehicle.

QUOTE(bobhasissues @ Feb 15 2009, 06:36 PM) *

My '74 is blowing fuse #9 when I use the right turn signal. It also blows #11 when I turn on the hazard lights. It appears something is shorting along the passenger side turn signal circuit(s) but I don't know where. The bulbs are good and the sockets are clean. I have two working flasher relays and get the same result with either relay. I would like to disconnect the front and rear signal circuits as close to the flasher relay as possible and test them individually to see if the short is in the front or rear circuit, but I don't know where to find the junction of the front & rear of this circuit. Any advice or another strategy to weed this out would be greatly appreciated.

rascobo
Pelican Parts has a tech section where full color wiring diagrams (much easier to read than those found in 'Haynes) can be downloaded free. You'll want parts 1 & 2 as well as the entire 'current flow chart and component discription page that accompanies it. Once You figure out how to read these charts You can trace virtually any electrical problem.
Hope this helps, good luck.
IronHillRestorations
Check the wires to the front and rear turn signals. I'm betting there's something hooked up wrong.
904svo
Did you do any electrical work on the car? sounds like something is shorted. Try
removing the light bulbs and see if the fuses blow. Make sure you have the right
bulbs in the sockets.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.