Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> how to Removing Upper Column Bearing ?
GaroldShaffer
post Feb 17 2009, 06:45 AM
Post #1

You bought another 914?

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 865
Region Association: None

I sold a early steering column on ebay and the person really only needs the upper column bearing. So how the heck do you remove it? Are the PET diagrams available on line somewhere?

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Gint
post Feb 17 2009, 07:48 AM
Post #2

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Pelican has 'em online.

Or a link to a site that has them available anyway
+Quote Post
charliew
post Feb 24 2009, 12:24 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,958

I remove the lower pad and then the column. There is a socket screw clamping the column to it's bracket on the lower left side of the column. With the lower pad off you can get to the screw and unplug the connectors and the washer hoses once you slide the column out a little on the shaft. There is a clip on the shaft to remove first just below the wheel. The way I got the bearing out was to remove the turn signal switches from the column once it is off. Then remove the large internal clip and tap the bearing out from the bottom toward the top. There is a repair sleeve to fix a loose bearing when the plastic bushing crumbles and all you do it push it down over the shaft to replace the plastic one that falls apart. The steel repair sleeve is also on the 72 beetle but it really installs from the bottom if you want to do it right. It could slip up under the wheel later from vibration, and seem loose again if you push it on from the top. After I replaced the bearing and used the steel sleeve the bearing was still loose in the housing so you will need to check that also or you will be doing it over if you want it really tight.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st May 2024 - 08:21 AM