Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: how to Removing Upper Column Bearing ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GaroldShaffer
I sold a early steering column on ebay and the person really only needs the upper column bearing. So how the heck do you remove it? Are the PET diagrams available on line somewhere?
Gint
Pelican has 'em online.

Or a link to a site that has them available anyway
charliew
I remove the lower pad and then the column. There is a socket screw clamping the column to it's bracket on the lower left side of the column. With the lower pad off you can get to the screw and unplug the connectors and the washer hoses once you slide the column out a little on the shaft. There is a clip on the shaft to remove first just below the wheel. The way I got the bearing out was to remove the turn signal switches from the column once it is off. Then remove the large internal clip and tap the bearing out from the bottom toward the top. There is a repair sleeve to fix a loose bearing when the plastic bushing crumbles and all you do it push it down over the shaft to replace the plastic one that falls apart. The steel repair sleeve is also on the 72 beetle but it really installs from the bottom if you want to do it right. It could slip up under the wheel later from vibration, and seem loose again if you push it on from the top. After I replaced the bearing and used the steel sleeve the bearing was still loose in the housing so you will need to check that also or you will be doing it over if you want it really tight.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.