Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> After many years away ..............., I want to come back to where I began ............
gothspeed
post Feb 17 2009, 05:53 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,019
Region Association: None

Hello All, I am new to this forum! I want to tell a rather long story as quickly as possible, as to why I am here ...... after many years of owning numerous porsches from 914s on up to a 993TT .......... and even crossed the line with f-cars ........... I find myself longing for the car I have 'always' dreamed of owning but at the time, did not have the resources to manifest.

I lived by the mckenna porsche dealer and as a youngster I used to regularly ride my bicycle to 'visit' the porsches. I would spend half hour to an hour just wandering the lot admiring their beauty. One time a sales person made my day and actually let me sit inside one of them ...... it was a 'turbo look' carrera!

After using my older brothers car to deliver pizzas I managed to save enough to buy a 'very used' 1955 vw bug. I continued to work ...... then saved enough for a 1.7 914 which IMO was 'the best porsche ever' because of the mid-engine design. I loved it but I still wanted more ......... I saved even more, then bought a 914 2.0 LE creamsicle .......... it was awesome!! It was fast, handled well and it would spank my friends rx-7 every time (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)!!

Then I was bit by the slantnose turbo's looks ....... I could not afford a real one so I saved enough for a 1983 sc convertible with a steel slant kit. Oh the power was a huge contrast!!! I was 23 years old with a 'slantnose' and in pure heaven!

Fast forward into a 3.2 carrera then a late 930 turbo ....... skipped the C2 turbo and straight into a 993TT ............ during all that time I was fabbing and modding my exhausts upgrading turbos, fuel enrichments and more efficient inter-cooling ........ it was fun .......... but as powerful as my 993TT was, I was not totally happy ...... something was missing ..... the car felt too civilized ....... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Then came along a friend of mine whom let me drive his ferrari 512TR ............. it was loud, low, mid-engined and barbaric ........ I was smitten ......... so off I went and bought a ferrari F355spider ...... it is quick, very low, rough ride, mid engined and the sound ........ pure euphoria ....... I was and still am, very happy with it ........... but it most notably reminds me of what I really missed in my 911 series porsches all along .......... in that my F355 is low, noisy and more importantly a mid-engine layout ..... just like my old 914s (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)!!!!!!

I look back to my early car days and recall how much I loved the 916 and the 914-6 GT .......... because of the mid-engine and those beautiful flares (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) !!!!............ I have 'always wanted' a 914 with GT flares!! So I am currently in the process of acquiring a 2.0 914 ........ and will install those 'holy grail-like' flares ........ because back when I was delivering pizzas as a teenager ....... that was the most beautifully functional porsche ever made (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif).

Thank you for reading!!!
oz
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
JoeSharp
post Feb 17 2009, 06:06 PM
Post #2

In Irvine, Ca. May 15-18

Member No.: 898
Region Association: South East States

First of all (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
Second of all, come out to El Toro on Sunday and see the cars in action. You can meet some of us and talk about the cars.
+Quote Post
MrKona
post Feb 17 2009, 06:07 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 4,469

I finally get to be first to say (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
+Quote Post
MrKona
post Feb 17 2009, 06:09 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 4,469

QUOTE(Joe Sharp @ Feb 17 2009, 04:06 PM) *

Second of all, come out to El Toro on Sunday and see the cars in action. You can meet some of us and talk about the cars.

I thought i was first... welcome to the insanity!
+Quote Post
JoeSharp
post Feb 17 2009, 06:09 PM
Post #5

In Irvine, Ca. May 15-18

Sorry Brian, next time I'll try to take more time.
+Quote Post
Sleepin
post Feb 17 2009, 06:25 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,357
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Great read! Welcome!
+Quote Post
sww914
post Feb 17 2009, 06:29 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,146

We're glad to have you!
You've embarked on a slippery slope. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
yellow914
post Feb 17 2009, 06:46 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 8,861
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(sww914 @ Feb 17 2009, 04:29 PM) *

We're glad to have you!

Only due to the perpetually leaking oil!
+Quote Post
gothspeed
post Feb 17 2009, 07:13 PM
Post #9

QUOTE(Joe Sharp @ Feb 17 2009, 04:06 PM) *

Thank you for the nice gesture (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)!!
This sounds like a regular event in El Toro of all places just down the 405 from me (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) .......... this sounds like a great time!! ..... is it all 914s?

QUOTE(MrKona @ Feb 17 2009, 04:07 PM) *

I finally get to be first to say (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
Thanks!! I have been lurking for a little while and noticed a great many of you guys have some very nice examples!

QUOTE(Joe Sharp @ Feb 17 2009, 04:09 PM) *

Sorry Brian, next time I'll try to take more time.
....... lol ........... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

QUOTE(Sleepin @ Feb 17 2009, 04:25 PM) *

Great read! Welcome!

awesome!! .............. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

We're glad to have you!
............ you are correct ......... I have been on it since watching 'speed racer' on tv at 4 years old ...... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif)

QUOTE(yellow914 @ Feb 17 2009, 04:46 PM) *

We're glad to have you!

Only due to the perpetually leaking oil!
......... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) ............. ok ..... now there is a vivid memory ........ (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

What helped tip the scale on this project, was this game video on you tube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMyIlbteFm0

The silver car won me over looks wise ......... excepting the graphics and yellow part in front ............. it is perfect!! Hopefully mine will mirror that one. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
JoeSharp
post Feb 17 2009, 07:28 PM
Post #10

In Irvine, Ca. May 15-18

The event in El Tero is a PCA event and sometimes I (IMG:style_emoticons/default/jsharp.gif) lunch for them. We have some regulars here that race there and some PCA 914 owners members that don't come here at all. I'm about 6 miles form the track in Huntimngton Beach.
+Quote Post
gothspeed
post Feb 17 2009, 10:46 PM
Post #11

QUOTE(Joe Sharp @ Feb 17 2009, 05:28 PM) *

The event in El Tero is a PCA event and sometimes I (IMG:style_emoticons/default/jsharp.gif) lunch for them. We have some regulars here that race there and some PCA 914 owners members that don't come here at all. I'm about 6 miles form the track in Huntimngton Beach.

Very nice of you to invite (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) ....... I am just up PCH from you in Long Beach just past the marina (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) ..... is there a site that shows the track location and layout?

BTW this forum is busy ... I had to scroll down quite a bit to find this thread .. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif)
+Quote Post
JoeSharp
post Feb 18 2009, 04:44 AM
Post #12

In Irvine, Ca. May 15-18

Your welcome. The PCA changes the course all of the time.
Yeah, it's really busy here, it you don't pay attention you find yourself on page 3. I have to bump the WCR thread now.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 12:57 PM