Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: After many years away ...............
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gothspeed
Hello All, I am new to this forum! I want to tell a rather long story as quickly as possible, as to why I am here ...... after many years of owning numerous porsches from 914s on up to a 993TT .......... and even crossed the line with f-cars ........... I find myself longing for the car I have 'always' dreamed of owning but at the time, did not have the resources to manifest.

I lived by the mckenna porsche dealer and as a youngster I used to regularly ride my bicycle to 'visit' the porsches. I would spend half hour to an hour just wandering the lot admiring their beauty. One time a sales person made my day and actually let me sit inside one of them ...... it was a 'turbo look' carrera!

After using my older brothers car to deliver pizzas I managed to save enough to buy a 'very used' 1955 vw bug. I continued to work ...... then saved enough for a 1.7 914 which IMO was 'the best porsche ever' because of the mid-engine design. I loved it but I still wanted more ......... I saved even more, then bought a 914 2.0 LE creamsicle .......... it was awesome!! It was fast, handled well and it would spank my friends rx-7 every time biggrin.gif!!

Then I was bit by the slantnose turbo's looks ....... I could not afford a real one so I saved enough for a 1983 sc convertible with a steel slant kit. Oh the power was a huge contrast!!! I was 23 years old with a 'slantnose' and in pure heaven!

Fast forward into a 3.2 carrera then a late 930 turbo ....... skipped the C2 turbo and straight into a 993TT ............ during all that time I was fabbing and modding my exhausts upgrading turbos, fuel enrichments and more efficient inter-cooling ........ it was fun .......... but as powerful as my 993TT was, I was not totally happy ...... something was missing ..... the car felt too civilized ....... sad.gif

Then came along a friend of mine whom let me drive his ferrari 512TR ............. it was loud, low, mid-engined and barbaric ........ I was smitten ......... so off I went and bought a ferrari F355spider ...... it is quick, very low, rough ride, mid engined and the sound ........ pure euphoria ....... I was and still am, very happy with it ........... but it most notably reminds me of what I really missed in my 911 series porsches all along .......... in that my F355 is low, noisy and more importantly a mid-engine layout ..... just like my old 914s biggrin.gif!!!!!!

I look back to my early car days and recall how much I loved the 916 and the 914-6 GT .......... because of the mid-engine and those beautiful flares biggrin.gif !!!!............ I have 'always wanted' a 914 with GT flares!! So I am currently in the process of acquiring a 2.0 914 ........ and will install those 'holy grail-like' flares ........ because back when I was delivering pizzas as a teenager ....... that was the most beautifully functional porsche ever made smile.gif.

Thank you for reading!!!
oz
JoeSharp
First of all welcome.png
Second of all, come out to El Toro on Sunday and see the cars in action. You can meet some of us and talk about the cars.
MrKona
I finally get to be first to say welcome.png
MrKona
QUOTE(Joe Sharp @ Feb 17 2009, 04:06 PM) *

First of all welcome.png
Second of all, come out to El Toro on Sunday and see the cars in action. You can meet some of us and talk about the cars.

I thought i was first... welcome to the insanity!
JoeSharp
Sorry Brian, next time I'll try to take more time.
Sleepin
Great read! Welcome!
sww914
We're glad to have you!
You've embarked on a slippery slope. biggrin.gif
yellow914
QUOTE(sww914 @ Feb 17 2009, 04:29 PM) *

We're glad to have you!

Only due to the perpetually leaking oil!
gothspeed
QUOTE(Joe Sharp @ Feb 17 2009, 04:06 PM) *

First of all welcome.png
Thank you for the nice gesture smile.gif!!
This sounds like a regular event in El Toro of all places just down the 405 from me smile.gif .......... this sounds like a great time!! ..... is it all 914s?

QUOTE(MrKona @ Feb 17 2009, 04:07 PM) *

I finally get to be first to say welcome.png
Thanks!! I have been lurking for a little while and noticed a great many of you guys have some very nice examples!

QUOTE(Joe Sharp @ Feb 17 2009, 04:09 PM) *

Sorry Brian, next time I'll try to take more time.
....... lol ........... tongue.gif

QUOTE(Sleepin @ Feb 17 2009, 04:25 PM) *

Great read! Welcome!

awesome!! .............. beerchug.gif

We're glad to have you!
............ you are correct ......... I have been on it since watching 'speed racer' on tv at 4 years old ...... ohmy.gif

QUOTE(yellow914 @ Feb 17 2009, 04:46 PM) *

We're glad to have you!

Only due to the perpetually leaking oil!
......... biggrin.gif ............. ok ..... now there is a vivid memory ........ tongue.gif

What helped tip the scale on this project, was this game video on you tube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMyIlbteFm0

The silver car won me over looks wise ......... excepting the graphics and yellow part in front ............. it is perfect!! Hopefully mine will mirror that one. smile.gif
JoeSharp
The event in El Tero is a PCA event and sometimes I jsharp.gif lunch for them. We have some regulars here that race there and some PCA 914 owners members that don't come here at all. I'm about 6 miles form the track in Huntimngton Beach.
gothspeed
QUOTE(Joe Sharp @ Feb 17 2009, 05:28 PM) *

The event in El Tero is a PCA event and sometimes I jsharp.gif lunch for them. We have some regulars here that race there and some PCA 914 owners members that don't come here at all. I'm about 6 miles form the track in Huntimngton Beach.

Very nice of you to invite smile.gif ....... I am just up PCH from you in Long Beach just past the marina wink.gif ..... is there a site that shows the track location and layout?

BTW this forum is busy ... I had to scroll down quite a bit to find this thread .. ohmy.gif
JoeSharp
Your welcome. The PCA changes the course all of the time.
Yeah, it's really busy here, it you don't pay attention you find yourself on page 3. I have to bump the WCR thread now.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.