Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How are helmets sized?, Preparing for West Coast Ramble 2009
ThinAir
post Feb 19 2009, 12:34 AM
Post #1

Best friends

Group: Members
Member No.: 231
Region Association: Southwest Region

There are going to be helmets to share for the track day at Willow Springs, but of course it's more convenient to have your own so I took a look at eBay and the prices may not be too bad. Here's an example auction - it says it's a size 7-3/8. So how do you know what size helmet you need?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Todd Enlund
post Feb 19 2009, 12:36 AM
Post #2

Resident Photoshop Guru

Member No.: 8,032
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(ThinAir @ Feb 18 2009, 10:34 PM) *

There are going to be helmets to share for the track day at Willow Springs, but of course it's more convenient to have your own so I took a look at eBay and the prices may not be too bad. Here's an example auction - it says it's a size 7-3/8. So how do you know what size helmet you need?

http://www.bellhelmets.com/index.cfm?fusea...&page_id=18

Oh, and that helmet is Snell 2000... I'd look for a Snell 2005. There are M and SA rated helmets... M is Motorcycle, and SA is Sports Activity. M is okay for autocross, but track events may require SA.
+Quote Post
736conver
post Feb 19 2009, 12:54 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 736
Region Association: None

Yea that helmet is cheap because its old. Different tracks/type racing have different rules on what year helmet you can run.

Also size doesnt mean much if you dont try it on. Your melon is not the same as someone else and it might not sit right.

If you find a "cheap" helmet online (ebay) go try that same helmet out in a store and see how it fits. Also buying used helmets is a little bit of a risk. You dont know what johnny racer did to the helmet before you got it.

Myself I went to a local kart shop and tried on some helmets. Found one that fit good looked at the size and search it out online. I think I save like $30 or something.
+Quote Post
DBCooper
post Feb 19 2009, 05:13 AM
Post #4

14's in the 13's with ATTITUDE

Member No.: 2,618
Region Association: Northern California

And to complicate things even more it's not just the size, it's also the shape. People have different shaped heads (you've noticed), so helmet makers have to decide what shape they're going to serve. So you find that some brands tend to fit round heads but not elongated melon heads. And visa versa. If you try to use the wrong shape after the helmet's on more than a few minutes your head will have "hot spots" where there are pressure points from poor fit. After that they get uncomfortable in a hurry.

Simpson, by the way, fit really really small. So size and shape, you HAVE to try them on to know.
+Quote Post
carr914
post Feb 19 2009, 06:16 AM
Post #5

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 1,623
Region Association: South East States

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) With all points given so far, but will add;

Don't buy a used helmet unless it is for collecting purposes (like me). Besides fitting your melon, if a helmet has had collision with a rollbar or if the helmet has ever been dropped, it is dangerous. That is because, it could now have micro fractures that might not be able to be seen, but if worn and then involved in an accident, those microfractures are then a weak point.

There are inexpensive New helmets out there, do a search and also determine what your future uses are going to be.

Buy a $50 bucket for a $50 melon or do it right.

T.C.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Feb 19 2009, 07:02 AM
Post #6

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Member No.: 92

SA is special application. Normally associated with race cars. Most that I have seen are fire resistant.
2000 model is only good for a couple of years by most sanctioning bodies.

Yep I have a bump on the back of my head and most helmets don't account for it. Normally after a couple of hours wearing it the foam liner gives in a bit.
I am inbetween a 7 1/8 Very snug and a 7 1/4 almost right in Bell open face.
Motorcycle helmets of this price range are pretty heavy because they have to withstand multiple bounces on the pavement before the rider slides to a stop. More expensive ones are Carbon, Kevlar, E glass composite.
That's all I know and I like my Bell Pro Mag 5.
+Quote Post
Gint
post Feb 19 2009, 07:30 AM
Post #7

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I won't buy a helmet I can't try on first. I like to buy many things online when it makes sense. You can often save a good deal of cash. But for a few items that don't make sense to buy online (like a brain bucket), I like to support my local businesses. And I'll give preference to the small independent shop.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
championgt1
post Feb 19 2009, 08:18 AM
Post #8

Don't embarrass me Filmore!

Member No.: 7,420
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Well said.
+Quote Post
JoeSharp
post Feb 19 2009, 09:23 AM
Post #9

In Irvine, Ca. May 15-18

Member No.: 898

Ernie: What they said. Snell will have a new standard in 2010 and the ones form 2000 won't be legal even a an A/X. I have a problem head and can't fit in a Bell. Even the Arie give me a head ache after an hour of riding. The last helmet that I bought for riding cost me over $400 and I could use it all day. Now that I down to a minute and a half at a time I have a $200 helmet that just O.K. for comfort. Just in case you didn't see it the PCA is going to loan me 15 helmets for the event. There should be something there that you'll be comfee in.
+Quote Post
ThinAir
post Feb 21 2009, 02:30 PM
Post #10

Best friends

Member No.: 231
Region Association: Southwest Region

Thanks for the education on helmets! I knew there was more to it than just what size you wear, but I had no idea. With the news that they'll be 15 helmets available for sharing, I don't think it's worth bothering for a helmet that I won't be likely to wear again (or at least not for a long time).
+Quote Post
DBCooper
post Feb 21 2009, 03:17 PM
Post #11

14's in the 13's with ATTITUDE

Member No.: 2,618

Won't use it again for a while? Are you kidding? You'll have so much fun that you'll want to get your own helmet so you can use it every weekend.
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Feb 21 2009, 05:13 PM
Post #12

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

Good thing they're not sized by ego. There's a few people around the 914 world who wouldn't be able to fit both their body and their helmet inside the car at the same time ............................ The Cap'n
+Quote Post
roadster fan
post Feb 21 2009, 07:09 PM
Post #13

Project Frankenstein !!!!!!!!

Member No.: 5,184

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Feb 21 2009, 03:13 PM) *

Good thing they're not sized by ego. There's a few people around the 914 world who wouldn't be able to fit both their body and their helmet inside the car at the same time ............................ The Cap'n

You kill me Cap'n (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
+Quote Post
JoeSharp
post Feb 21 2009, 08:43 PM
Post #14

In Irvine, Ca. May 15-18

Member No.: 898

John: That funny rates a 5. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

I hope I'm not one of them.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 07:23 PM