Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How are helmets sized?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ThinAir
There are going to be helmets to share for the track day at Willow Springs, but of course it's more convenient to have your own so I took a look at eBay and the prices may not be too bad. Here's an example auction - it says it's a size 7-3/8. So how do you know what size helmet you need?
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(ThinAir @ Feb 18 2009, 10:34 PM) *

There are going to be helmets to share for the track day at Willow Springs, but of course it's more convenient to have your own so I took a look at eBay and the prices may not be too bad. Here's an example auction - it says it's a size 7-3/8. So how do you know what size helmet you need?

http://www.bellhelmets.com/index.cfm?fusea...&page_id=18

Oh, and that helmet is Snell 2000... I'd look for a Snell 2005. There are M and SA rated helmets... M is Motorcycle, and SA is Sports Activity. M is okay for autocross, but track events may require SA.
736conver
Yea that helmet is cheap because its old. Different tracks/type racing have different rules on what year helmet you can run.

Also size doesnt mean much if you dont try it on. Your melon is not the same as someone else and it might not sit right.

If you find a "cheap" helmet online (ebay) go try that same helmet out in a store and see how it fits. Also buying used helmets is a little bit of a risk. You dont know what johnny racer did to the helmet before you got it.

Myself I went to a local kart shop and tried on some helmets. Found one that fit good looked at the size and search it out online. I think I save like $30 or something.
DBCooper
And to complicate things even more it's not just the size, it's also the shape. People have different shaped heads (you've noticed), so helmet makers have to decide what shape they're going to serve. So you find that some brands tend to fit round heads but not elongated melon heads. And visa versa. If you try to use the wrong shape after the helmet's on more than a few minutes your head will have "hot spots" where there are pressure points from poor fit. After that they get uncomfortable in a hurry.

Simpson, by the way, fit really really small. So size and shape, you HAVE to try them on to know.
carr914
agree.gif With all points given so far, but will add;

Don't buy a used helmet unless it is for collecting purposes (like me). Besides fitting your melon, if a helmet has had collision with a rollbar or if the helmet has ever been dropped, it is dangerous. That is because, it could now have micro fractures that might not be able to be seen, but if worn and then involved in an accident, those microfractures are then a weak point.

There are inexpensive New helmets out there, do a search and also determine what your future uses are going to be.

Buy a $50 bucket for a $50 melon or do it right.

T.C.

Click to view attachment
Joe Ricard
SA is special application. Normally associated with race cars. Most that I have seen are fire resistant.
2000 model is only good for a couple of years by most sanctioning bodies.

Yep I have a bump on the back of my head and most helmets don't account for it. Normally after a couple of hours wearing it the foam liner gives in a bit.
I am inbetween a 7 1/8 Very snug and a 7 1/4 almost right in Bell open face.
Motorcycle helmets of this price range are pretty heavy because they have to withstand multiple bounces on the pavement before the rider slides to a stop. More expensive ones are Carbon, Kevlar, E glass composite.
That's all I know and I like my Bell Pro Mag 5.
Gint
I won't buy a helmet I can't try on first. I like to buy many things online when it makes sense. You can often save a good deal of cash. But for a few items that don't make sense to buy online (like a brain bucket), I like to support my local businesses. And I'll give preference to the small independent shop.
championgt1
agree.gif Well said.
JoeSharp
Ernie: What they said. Snell will have a new standard in 2010 and the ones form 2000 won't be legal even a an A/X. I have a problem head and can't fit in a Bell. Even the Arie give me a head ache after an hour of riding. The last helmet that I bought for riding cost me over $400 and I could use it all day. Now that I down to a minute and a half at a time I have a $200 helmet that just O.K. for comfort. Just in case you didn't see it the PCA is going to loan me 15 helmets for the event. There should be something there that you'll be comfee in.
ThinAir
Thanks for the education on helmets! I knew there was more to it than just what size you wear, but I had no idea. With the news that they'll be 15 helmets available for sharing, I don't think it's worth bothering for a helmet that I won't be likely to wear again (or at least not for a long time).
DBCooper
Won't use it again for a while? Are you kidding? You'll have so much fun that you'll want to get your own helmet so you can use it every weekend.
Cap'n Krusty
Good thing they're not sized by ego. There's a few people around the 914 world who wouldn't be able to fit both their body and their helmet inside the car at the same time ............................ The Cap'n
roadster fan
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Feb 21 2009, 03:13 PM) *

Good thing they're not sized by ego. There's a few people around the 914 world who wouldn't be able to fit both their body and their helmet inside the car at the same time ............................ The Cap'n

You kill me Cap'n av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif
JoeSharp
John: That funny rates a 5. av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif

I hope I'm not one of them.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.