Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

10 Pages V « < 6 7 8 9 10 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> VOX Subaru Swap build
dlo914
post May 22 2011, 02:59 AM
Post #141

Whatchu' lookin' at?!?!

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,697

QUOTE(DrifterJay @ May 21 2011, 11:06 PM) *

Cool project guys, where did you source your wheel adapters from? Any concerns or issues with them?

We found the guy on eBay, and it just so happens the guy was local. So we were able to go in person to give him the dimensions and paid cash. We got'em off this guy: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Wheel-Adapt...sQ5fAccessories So far we have no issues, but we've only had the car stationary. So we'll see if they will affect our alignment later on.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
VOX
post Jun 6 2011, 11:00 PM
Post #142

Member No.: 10,027
Region Association: None

lowered the front end. super low, got the arm to be parallel.(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/img.photobucket.com-10027-1307422814.1.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/img.photobucket.com-10027-1307422815.2.jpg)

built a gt lid, took about a coupleof hours not too bad, except for the center part, the 2nd grill pops up, so i took a few nuts and screws to fasten it down looks pretty good to me.
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/img.photobucket.com-10027-1307422815.3.jpg)
+Quote Post
dlo914
post Jul 25 2011, 02:06 AM
Post #143

Whatchu' lookin' at?!?!

Cut the opening in the bumper and valance for the radiator:

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i62.photobucket.com-2697-1311581621.1.jpg)
+Quote Post
VOX
post Jul 25 2011, 02:29 PM
Post #144

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/img.photobucket.com-10027-1311625789.1.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/img.photobucket.com-10027-1311625790.2.jpg)

80's ford f150 fuel pump.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/img.photobucket.com-10027-1311650702.1.jpg)
+Quote Post
hsus2k
post Aug 10 2011, 05:56 AM
Post #145

Member No.: 11,567
Region Association: South East States

Volks does sell 5X130 pattern TE37 18" wheels weighs about 18# each, but the offset are for 90 or newer cars. some thing like 50-60mm offset; they are 8.5" wide or 9"wides.
I don't like to use spacer or adaptors, especially for a track car.

Wish they had 16" with the ocrrect offset for 5X130 pattern.
My 16" SRS wheels for my VW are only 12.5# each.

Porsche OEM wheels are so heavy!
+Quote Post
JRust
post Aug 10 2011, 02:11 PM
Post #146

914 Guru

Member No.: 129
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I'm hoping you are running some rubber on the mounts for the radiator. It should have rubber on all points connecting to the car. If not the flex will kill your radiator sooner rather than later (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) .

Great progress overall! Keep it up (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
+Quote Post
VOX
post Aug 10 2011, 08:01 PM
Post #147

5x130 is the 911 bolt pattern, not willing to shell out the money for that conversion just yet, also 18" is quite big for the 914.

Yes i would not run spacers on a track or any race car, but this isnt one.

my volks are 16x7 and they weigh 12 lbs each.

yes we'll be adding rubber to the mounting points, when we find suitable rubber pieces but that isnt a priority right now, i really just want to get it running.

thanks for the comments guys.

currently i have the megasquirt 3 made, waiting to be installed, just scared of doing the wiring really, so its holding me back, also im trying to finish up other parts of the car. thinking of hosting a bbq so i could get some help reinstalling the shifter, throttle cable, clutch cable, and restoring the brakes, not sure if people in the area would be interested, but i'll make a separate thread on that when i have the parts for it.
+Quote Post
Prospectfarms
post Aug 13 2011, 04:55 AM
Post #148

Member No.: 12,801
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I just finished reading your thread (to date) and it was fascinating. Reminded me somewhat of Rique's but your project seems a little more "accessible" in terms of budget and choices. Thanks for posting it.

There must be something in the water in Southern California that produces braniac kids. It is also very generous of you (and all [most] of the posters of build threads) to entertain us with a slideshow of your work. Articulate and energetic young people like you inspire and amaze.
+Quote Post
oldschool
post Aug 13 2011, 10:08 AM
Post #149

Advanced Member

Member No.: 9,705
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(VOX @ Aug 10 2011, 07:01 PM) *

5x130 is the 911 bolt pattern, not willing to shell out the money for that conversion just yet, also 18" is quite big for the 914.

yes we'll be adding rubber to the mounting points, when we find suitable rubber pieces but that isnt a priority right now, i really just want to get it running.

currently i have the megasquirt 3 made, waiting to be installed, just scared of doing the wiring really, so its holding me back, also im trying to finish up other parts of the car. thinking of hosting a bbq so i could get some help reinstalling the shifter, throttle cable, clutch cable, and restoring the brakes, not sure if people in the area would be interested, but i'll make a separate thread on that when i have the parts for it.

What kind of bbq (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chowtime.gif)
+Quote Post
76-914
post Aug 13 2011, 01:41 PM
Post #150

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(fasthonda @ May 15 2011, 02:35 PM) *

QUOTE(dlo914 @ May 15 2011, 12:43 PM) *

16x7 +40 offset 4x100 bolt pattern Volk TE37 in gun metal gray, i think we're gonna go w/ 225/50/16 sized tires. These were installed with 4x130 to 4x100 bolt pattern adapters.

Volks on a 914. Pretty cool.

BTW I bought the red car from Dale show in your first post.

Regards,

Michael

And I pulled the tranny out of your red car before you bought it! Odometer showed something like 43K IIRC. It was a solid bodied 914.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
VOX
post Aug 14 2011, 05:06 PM
Post #151

thanks stuart, i appreciate the kind words.

as for the bbq, I'm thinking burgers, hot dogs, chicken, and ribs. depending on how many people are gonna show. hopefully a few experienced people will show and make things easier as far as the car goes.
+Quote Post
rohar
post Aug 14 2011, 05:37 PM
Post #152

Member No.: 9,685

QUOTE(VOX @ Aug 10 2011, 07:01 PM) *

We're facing similar challenges with terribly different engines. I'm at 4x114.3 for the rims and staring at my MS3 trying to get the confidence to wire it up. Good luck to you, from my recent experience, you may need it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
bfrymire
post Aug 14 2011, 08:24 PM
Post #153

Salsaholic

Member No.: 2,431
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(VOX @ Aug 14 2011, 04:06 PM) *

thanks stuart, i appreciate the kind words.

as for the bbq, I'm thinking burgers, hot dogs, chicken, and ribs. depending on how many people are gonna show. hopefully a few experienced people will show and make things easier as far as the car goes.

Too bad I am not closer.. I just did a MS install on a CIS 2.7l. The Subaru is different, but, not that much different. wiring is the easy part of the install. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I need to post some new pictures of my install. But, you just have to follow the wiring diagram, and match the wires.

Oh, and my install is a "from scratch" wiring harness. I just tap into the existing harness at one point, keyed power.

-- brett
+Quote Post
VOX
post Sep 18 2011, 05:09 PM
Post #154

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/img.photobucket.com-10027-1316387369.1.jpg)

finished up the fuel related parts, i have an E2000 model fuel pump (electric inline) its rated at 70-90 psi. the filter is just a cheap one i plan to swap out after a few hundred miles on it.

the tank had some rust so i first threw a chain in there and shook it around. then i poured in about a gallon of vinegar and swished it around, left it over night, washed that out with water and baking soda a few times, then sprayed in wd40 to get more of the moisture out, then washed it out again with gasoline. seems to do something, since i found pieces of rust coming out with the first couple of washes. and from a visual inspection it was much better.

the hose im using is actually carburetor hose, SAE 30R7, it states not for fuel injection, however after some research i decided to go with it. the fuel injected hose costs about 7 dollars per foot. where as this stuff was $1.30
the FI stuff is rated at 100psi operating, and 900 burst. whereas the carb hose is rated at 50psi operating and 250 burst. purchase from Kragen aka O'reily, i got the stuff made by gates, so i find a little more comfort in that. gates saftey stripe II. i ended up using 20 ft of hose.
+Quote Post
bdstone914
post Sep 18 2011, 05:39 PM
Post #155

bdstone914

Member No.: 1,319

You are going to need to shorten those fuel lines coming off the tank. Anything more then about 5+ extra inches and the hose will become kink almost every time you set the fuel tank in. Ask me how I know (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Sep 18 2011, 07:06 PM
Post #156

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496

If you are running EFI, please use the correct hose. I hade the low pressure hose blow on my EFI conversion. Dumped 1/4 tank on the freeway before I clamped it off.
+Quote Post
Prospectfarms
post Sep 18 2011, 10:05 PM
Post #157

QUOTE(VOX @ Sep 18 2011, 07:09 PM) *

the hose im using is actually carburetor hose, SAE 30R7, it states not for fuel injection, however after some research i decided to go with it. the fuel injected hose costs about 7 dollars per foot. where as this stuff was $1.30
the FI stuff is rated at 100psi operating, and 900 burst. whereas the carb hose is rated at 50psi operating and 250 burst. purchase from Kragen aka O'reily, i got the stuff made by gates, so i find a little more comfort in that. gates saftey stripe II. i ended up using 20 ft of hose.

Here's a link to a Gate's "tech tips" on fuel hose
Gates

It indicates that 7mm SAE 30R7 hose has a working pressure rating of 50psi and 3/8" has a working pressure rating of 35psi. It also warns that 30R7 line is not suitable for any fuel injected system because of high pressure and the possibility of "sour gas" in the fuel return line. The Gates company asserts that only SAE 30R9 hose should be attached to any fuel injection system.

Fuel hose with a SAE rating of 30R9 is five time more expensive than 30R7 and it's in Gates interest to sell more of the 30R9 -- I presume.

What is sour gas? Is it the same as what is referred to as oxidized gas? When a manufacturer describes a technical condition with a loaded phrase, e.g., "sour gas,". it means they are selling something. That's not to say they are using bad faith -- there is no question that 30R9 is much more durable than R7

The Bosch pressure regulator appears to be a spring loaded adjustable check valve. Could it produce a pressure surge that is much greater than its adjusted setting? For instance, when you are running WOT and then completely let off the throttle. An engineer could figure that out pretty easily. I cannot.

What was the quality of the OEM hose in the mid 1970's? Did a lot of 914's blow fuel lines then? We all know VW's burned all the time still do today, but that problem is not related to fuel pressure as their cam-actuated mechanical pumps only produce around 5-8 psi.

Different rubber degrades differently from a given heat, which I think is an equally important consideration in an air-cooled application-- although I've yet to see any rubber hose that could handle contact with a cylinder head. 30R7 is rated to 257F./ 125C. while R9 goes to 270F./135C. The 13 degree difference doesn't sound significant but I don't know what a normal engine bay temperature is. If it's between 258F. and 270F. then R9 would be much better than R7. Otherwise it might not make a difference.

+Quote Post
VOX
post Sep 19 2011, 12:08 AM
Post #158

I'll check on the lines bruce, i dont think they were kinking but i'll try to get a flashlight underthere and take a look. i wanted to leave enough line for me to pull the tank and inspect or do maintanence.

what kind of pump were you using mike? was it a high pressure walbro or maybe better? having the hose blow off is a major concern of mines, did your hose burst? or did it blow at a connection?

with my applications and from my research i've read about the 30r7 vs 30r9 and chose to go with the 30r7, if i run across problems later on i'll switch to 30r9. there are some VW guys who are switching to the E2000 fuel pump and running the 30r7, they've run their test on the hose as well, with burst pressures of over 250. not sure if my fuel pump and pressure regulator will cause pressure to exceed or even get close to that.

if i was more wealthy i would definately go with the fuel injection hose, but for now i'll work with what i've got.

thanks stuart, i've gone thru alot of the info, i'm sure the fuel injection stuff is more profitable, also the FI stuff creates less pollution. i'm not too concerned with the temperature, i believe it is located in cool locations. i'll be keeping a close eye on the fuel line.
+Quote Post
Prospectfarms
post Sep 19 2011, 12:42 AM
Post #159

"If i was more wealthy i would definately go with the fuel injection hose, but for now i'll work with what i've got."

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

I'd spent $100 on FI hose then messed up one of the legs of the fuel lines. When I ran out of R9 I used R7. I don't think it will fail for a while anyway. I'm more concerned with the connections and routing everything out of harms way. We'll see.
+Quote Post
dlo914
post Jan 10 2012, 12:43 AM
Post #160

Whatchu' lookin' at?!?!

The motor has been hooked up with MegaSquirt 2. Purchased a new size 58-RDL battery from Autozone, bought some angle stock to make the battery tray and then bolted it down into the top right corner of the trunk. And then i retrofitted trunk shocks off a Lexus ES250 to the 914's trunk. Here's a pick of the rear trunk now:
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i62.photobucket.com-2697-1326177792.1.jpg)
+Quote Post

10 Pages V « < 6 7 8 9 10 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st May 2024 - 07:36 AM