Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

12 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> V Day 20% off Auto Atlanta order, left hanging in the wind
biosurfer1
post Feb 24 2009, 10:15 PM
Post #21

Teener fo Life!

Group: Members
Member No.: 977
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Feb 24 2009, 02:03 PM) *

Blew out plenty of parts that saturday and lost a lot of money on the Genuine parts!!!!!!

Why would any business have a sale, voluntarily, to lose money? sure they "might" pick up a new customer or two (or apparently lose a couple) but losing "a lot of money" to get a few customers seems counter intuitive (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
johnnie5
post Feb 24 2009, 10:22 PM
Post #22

914 lover

Member No.: 9,644
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(biosurfer1 @ Feb 24 2009, 08:15 PM) *

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Feb 24 2009, 02:03 PM) *

Blew out plenty of parts that saturday and lost a lot of money on the Genuine parts!!!!!!

Why would any business have a sale, voluntarily, to lose money? sure they "might" pick up a new customer or two (or apparently lose a couple) but losing "a lot of money" to get a few customers seems counter intuitive (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

It seems to me this company gets top dollar for thier parts, and then some. So even at 20% off, I'm sure it was still a banner day for Automobile Atlanta. Lost money, I sincerely doubt it.

I AM typically a loyal customer actually - but nobody looks out for me, except me.
+Quote Post
DBCooper
post Feb 24 2009, 10:50 PM
Post #23

14's in the 13's with ATTITUDE

Member No.: 2,618

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 24 2009, 04:32 PM) *

After all, you *did* order something. So getting a confirmation was to be expected.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif) Andy

The order confirmation was consummation of a contract, it was AA's signature on a contract. Before they sent the order confirmation the fine print was in place. But mistake or not, once AA sent the confirmation then there were two parties in agreement, they had a contract, and AA was obligated to do what they'd confirmed they'd do, which was to fill the order at the price on the confirmation.

That's the bottom line. Any lawyer would tell you that AA would lose that one in court if it came to that, which of course it never will. But getting away with it isn't the same as being right. If you agree to do something you need to do it. If not then your word means nothing, and your company gets the reputation of being shady. Sound familiar?
+Quote Post
mojorisen914
post Feb 24 2009, 11:35 PM
Post #24

Visit your local strip club

Member No.: 6,403
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Well, I want to put my .02 worth in.
George does have one hell of a catolog. I usually spend a little time each day looking thru the PDF file to see if there is anything I need/want. When I do find something to order; I call in and order it. The thing that used to bug me was; when I odered it, I was never told they didn't have it and so I would expect it to be at the house waiting on me when I came home for vacation. That only happenned once because after I got home last year and the parts weren't there and was told they were back ordered; I made it a point to 1. plan ahead and 2. I ALWAYS ask the person on the phone if the part was instock.
Now, as many people know, I'm over here in the sandbox. I plan ahead so I have the part for when I come back to the states for a vacation (3 times a year). So you can understand how important it is to me to have the part waiting at the house for when I arrive.
I don't blame George for this. I totally understand the costs associated to have parts on the shelf for a long period of time and not being sold. It's called overhead and it's tough right now in this economy.
Now, I'll add some gas to the fire: George, where is my free T-shirt that was supposed to be in a prior order? I never got it...

Disclaimer: "Remember; opinions are like ass-holes. Everybody has one".
+Quote Post
zonedoubt
post Feb 24 2009, 11:42 PM
Post #25

Canadian Member

Member No.: 696
Region Association: Canada

I haven't received a confirmation of what is or isn't in stock. I haven't received my order. I haven't been informed when my order will ship. Going on 10 days now... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
PeeGreen 914
post Feb 24 2009, 11:50 PM
Post #26

Just when you think you're done...wait, there is more..lol

Member No.: 6,884
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

DB is right on the legal aspect but George seems to live in his own legal world (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) . The cataloge sure is nice but when there is a price in there and you call to order something that he has in stock only to find he wants more for it sucks. Especially when he says "it's the last one I have" and then you see a post three weeks later where he tells a guy he has 7 on the shelf now. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

George has done well for us as a collector and conservationist. Just sad he isn't really much of a good honest businessman (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

AA could kick ass if he really wanted it to but it looks like it is just a hobby for George and that's cool if it is. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
ericread
post Feb 25 2009, 12:34 PM
Post #27

The Viper Blue 914

Member No.: 8,432
Region Association: Southern California

I have to smile a bit when I see these posts. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

So George created a really well designed catalog in 2007. I don't know of anyone that disputes this. And I know from experience that in 2007, George sold his items at the catalog prices. But now it is 2009 and we have all experienced the volatility of 914 parts pricing throughout the market. How many years do you expect a catalog to reflect current pricing? Or do you believe a catalog should reflect current pricing in perpetuity? Go take a look at a 1970 JC Penney catalog and ask if they will honor those process. I don't think so.

As for the AA Internet store, I think we can all agree it's a royal PIA. I NEVER use it. When it's time to order a part I call AA directly and speak to their order department. (I'm actually surprised that anybody uses their on-line ordering function - it's a mess!!!)

Now then, George had a sale. In his sale advertising, he announced very clearly that the sale was for in-stock items only, and if you ordered a part that turned out to be not in stock, the order would be cancelled. It appears in several cases this exact issue occurred. So what's the problem?

It appears that you may have missed getting a discount because George didn't have the item in stock. That was the terms that were agreed upon going into the sale.

Did you call George and ask him if he could help him out? Or did you just post your rant here? The few times I've felt bad about an AA transaction, I have spoken to George directly. And each time he's made good on his (and AA's) word.

Anyway, that's my $.02...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
PeeGreen 914
post Feb 25 2009, 01:09 PM
Post #28

Just when you think you're done...wait, there is more..lol

Member No.: 6,884

My deal was a matter of weeks after the catalog came out. When we called George on it he told the guy that was ordering the part that maybe he shouldn't buy from there. We were told it ws his last 914-6-VW-PORSCHE badge and he wanted 175 when he had it listed for 145 in the cataloge. Then but a few weeks after I received mine he tells another member on the board he has 7 sitting on the shelf. Like I said before: he is a great conservationist and collector but not a good or honest businessman. If it wasn't for me trading for this badge with the guy buying it I would never have bought from George. We have too many guys here in th NW who have are fed up with his business. I just think it is sad when he has all that he does and his reputation is so poor. When I got into 914s some of the people who know much about 914s told me of all the places to shop for our little cars with the warning of staying away from AA. Sad (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) . Just wish it was all run better. That's all.
+Quote Post
6freak
post Feb 25 2009, 01:18 PM
Post #29

MR.C

Member No.: 8,829

I dont have .02 cents i spent it AA....Im still waiting for parts ..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
+Quote Post
DBCooper
post Feb 25 2009, 01:19 PM
Post #30

A company has to honor the order confirmations they send out. That's fundamental. And fulfilling their word only when you call and press them? How is that a good thing? And how many times have you had to do that?

Outdated pricing in the catalog is no excuse. All automotive suppliers print catalogs AND price lists. The catalogs are nice, expensive, change only when they change products. The price lists have no detail, are printed cheaply in volume, on cheap paper, and get upgraded periodically or whenever prices change significantly. AA could do that, or it would be easy enough for them to keep an updated price list on the web, which would avoid the constant haggling and misunderstandings that are otherwise inevitable. It would be so simple to resolve, but they haven't. Do you suppose they just LIKE to haggle?

And while anyone's in the mood to defend George, I'm curious. Why do you think that "AA Sucks" posts appear so regularly? Not just here but in every 914 forum. Even George noticed, sensitive guy that he is, and told us he'd do something about it. But they still keep appearing, and they've been exactly the same complaints forever. Could there be some reason for that? What's the thread, the single thing they all have in common?

And why isn't there bitching about other suppliers, why is it always AA? Do people just pick on them? Arbitrarily? Why would they do that? No other suppliers are picked on in the same way. So the others must all be doing something different. What would that be?

If he had treated people right George would have had a gold mine. He doesn't. His own fault.
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Feb 25 2009, 01:42 PM
Post #31

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380

QUOTE(DBCooper @ Feb 25 2009, 11:19 AM) *

And while anyone's in the mood to defend George, I'm curious. Why do you think that "AA Sucks" posts appear so regularly?

Mob mentality? It is the fashion?

I have had the same problems that people complain about with AA from the Pelican and Automotion. I just deal directly with them and not throw mud here...

I am looking at the catalog. "all prices subject to change without notice" (page 5).
That isn't dishonesty, that is just a common catalog policy.

The fact remains, George announced the sale and stated "in stock items".

The only bitch anyone has is that because order confirmation was auto-sent, they don't know if they are getting their parts or not... I'd call that a glitch. What do you want him to do? hari kari?

Inventory is like a bank account. George made us a deal at 20% off everything in order to kick the cash flow up a notch. That is just my guess as I cannot know why George runs his business the way he does. But, bottom line - lots of people got lots of parts at 20% off....
+Quote Post
Lavanaut
post Feb 25 2009, 01:48 PM
Post #32

Hungry Mind : Thirsty Gullet

Member No.: 6,265

Guys. Come on. If you can't live with the rules of the game don't play, it's as simple as that. If George hadn't sent you a confirmation email I get the feeling you'd be bitching about that in here too.

Had I ordered parts during the big sale, I'd have picked up the phone by now to find out if the order went through or not...after all, I knew there was a possibility it would be cancelled!

I mightn't always side with AA, but in this case I do.
+Quote Post
biosurfer1
post Feb 25 2009, 01:50 PM
Post #33

Teener fo Life!

QUOTE(ericread @ Feb 25 2009, 10:34 AM) *

. How many years do you expect a catalog to reflect current pricing? Or do you believe a catalog should reflect current pricing in perpetuity? Go take a look at a 1970 JC Penney catalog and ask if they will honor those process. I don't think so.

but JC Penny's WILL honor their prices for any given catalog until the next catalog comes out

I understand its hard work to put out a catalog, let alone every year, but that has to be factored in when deciding whether to put one out in the first place.

A catalog with prices that may or may not be right on products that may or may not be in stock is a worthless piece of garbage to me.
+Quote Post
6freak
post Feb 25 2009, 01:59 PM
Post #34

MR.C

Member No.: 8,829

I only order on the phone.I like talking with the folks first hand..They made it seem like all the parts a bought and paid for where on the shelf and being shipped next day....Not the case ...But to resolve that all they have to do is say so or call or send e-mail ...simple fix" costumer happy " dont make me call you and ask about my parts !.........costumer service is all im asking for ...My time is worth as much as theres ....I hope it changes i dont wanna go else where but i will
+Quote Post
DBCooper
post Feb 25 2009, 02:02 PM
Post #35

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Feb 25 2009, 11:42 AM) *

QUOTE(DBCooper @ Feb 25 2009, 11:19 AM) *

And while anyone's in the mood to defend George, I'm curious. Why do you think that "AA Sucks" posts appear so regularly?

Mob mentality? It is the fashion?

Call it whatever you prefer. Since every story on every board for years and years is pretty much the same, but always different people telling those stories, is there any other conceivable explanation?

I guess you do need to concede AA some credit for consistency, though. Well done, George! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) .
+Quote Post
biosurfer1
post Feb 25 2009, 02:04 PM
Post #36

Teener fo Life!

QUOTE(Lavanaut @ Feb 25 2009, 11:48 AM) *

Guys. Come on. If you can't live with the rules of the game don't play, it's as simple as that. If George hadn't sent you a confirmation email I get the feeling you'd be bitching about that in here too.

Had I ordered parts during the big sale, I'd have picked up the phone by now to find out if the order went through or not...after all, I knew there was a possibility it would be cancelled!

I mightn't always side with AA, but in this case I do.

I think the confusion is in that he was emailed a confirmation that the order went through. I can see calling if I got nothing, but if I have an email saying the order went through, why would I think otherwise?

If I called to make sure the confirmation was correct, then who would I call to make sure the guy who confirmed the donfirmation was correct, and so on, etc.

I suppose I would have had someone checking every order that day making sure the item was in stock. If not, the customer would get an email or phone call stating their order would be cancelled.... PITA? sure, but thats the cost of customer service if the company decides to have a sale with such stipulations.

all IMHO of course (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
SUNAB914
post Feb 25 2009, 02:17 PM
Post #37

Member No.: 9,880
Region Association: South East States

I got my previous order twice, still waiting on the 20% off order. I will send back the extra items I got. 1 out of 4 orders are incorrect.
I have used AA since 1985, yes sometimes orders get messed up, but they have always fixed it.
I wan't to thank george for cutting the price for us on V-day, I saved some cash, like all of us. I hope he will consider doing it again soon! But I don't blame him if he doesn't.
I hope they don't close their doors because AA has been the only place sometimes to find the hard parts.
We don't drive a VW, so we have to shop around for the best prices sometimes. new parts are not common.
I have 2 914's and a 928, so I know what pain is when you need those parts today.
He stated in his ad the rules! Give him a break!
Semper Fi
+Quote Post
Lavanaut
post Feb 25 2009, 02:29 PM
Post #38

Hungry Mind : Thirsty Gullet

Member No.: 6,265

QUOTE(biosurfer1 @ Feb 25 2009, 11:50 AM) *

A catalog with prices that may or may not be right on products that may or may not be in stock is a worthless piece of garbage to me.

C'mon now bio, you know you turned those pages like it was your latest copy of Plumper Grannies Brazilian Plumper Grannies...
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Feb 25 2009, 02:32 PM
Post #39

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418
Region Association: None

QUOTE(jgara962 @ Feb 24 2009, 06:05 PM) *

Having just ordered from AA for the first time myself, I was a little suprised by the lack of on-line frills that I have become accustom to. Their website is probably one of the worst I have seen and is something I would have expected 10 years ago, but not by today's standards. I received a confirmation that the order was placed, but no confirmation that it had shipped which is something else that most companies do these days which left me wondering when the items were going to show up.

With that said, my order was correct, came quickly, and they even sent it FedEx ground so it arrived on a Saturday which is very unusual.

we have the new one ready to go just loading many many color accessories right now, issue After that everyone will be amazed. And yes the website has been suffering.
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Feb 25 2009, 02:50 PM
Post #40

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418
Region Association: None

Yup you hit it on the money. It is my passion for the 914 and perserving the marque that is most important to me. I feel like the father of all 914s having lent them out to many foster homes where many are abused, and their owners abusers, and that makes me sad.
It is my passion that keeps the 914 on the road and our business flowing, now in its 31st year. No one thinking right would have a business selling 914 parts these days nor making so many parts for them......that is just crazy. Passion drives many men and I would put my passion against anyone in this club and win every time.
Rag me as you will, I am 56 years old and have made a GREAT living selling my passion and many many parts. I am not a lay down step and fetch it, I profess my passion and if anyone does not like it WAY too bad. I also believe in honesty and morality and live and breathe it every day and do not have ANY police record except for maybe a few speeding tickets!!!!!!!!!
If I am a character that you cannot stand, so be it. I am in 914s for life, many of YOU come and go. Criticize as you may, I am the king of the 914s and have the parts the cars the knowledge and the passion to back it up. The only thing that I would change about this business if I could would be to find some fellow passionate 914 people to have as employees who realize that when we want the parts for our cars we want them now with the right tech advice and someone on the other end of the line who just understands!!! I am that guy here for you and I want to talk to every one of you personally and will NEVER not be on the phone every day and NEVER not be in the middle of another 914 restoration (and I LOVE driving my new Ford mid engined GT)!

QUOTE('Feb 24 2009 @ 10:50 PM' post='1137960')

DB is right on the legal aspect but George seems to live in his own legal world (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) . The cataloge sure is nice but when there is a price in there and you call to order something that he has in stock only to find he wants more for it sucks. Especially when he says "it's the last one I have" and then you see a post three weeks later where he tells a guy he has 7 on the shelf now. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

George has done well for us as a collector and conservationist. Just sad he isn't really much of a good honest businessman (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

AA could kick ass if he really wanted it to but it looks like it is just a hobby for George and that's cool if it is. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post

12 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th June 2024 - 11:32 PM