Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Do your feet get stuck?
VaccaRabite
post Feb 25 2009, 12:19 PM
Post #1

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Despite being on the Club/World since 2003 and restoring mine since 2005, I have never actually driven a 914 before yesterday. Yeah, I've moved mine in and out of the garage lately, but that does not really count as driving.

Yesterday, jsayere talked me into driving his car to check out his new tires, while I was over there picking up speakers. Awesome! Just a little more incentive to get mine done.

However, twice my right foot got stuck when I pushed in the brake. It got trapped behind the gas pedal. I do have wide feet, and usually wear Doc Martens (which have a lip on the sole).

is this just one of those things that you get used to by the third drive, and your feet sort of learn where they have to be? Or is it just one of the quirks that go with small older cars? Or is is "man, oh man, you feets to big!"

Zach
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Todd Enlund
post Feb 25 2009, 12:34 PM
Post #2

Resident Photoshop Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,032
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Feb 25 2009, 10:19 AM) *

However, twice my right foot got stuck when I pushed in the brake. It got trapped behind the gas pedal.

That's a lot better than the other way around!

I've got pretty big feet myself (11.5 E), and I always wear hiking boots, and I've not had an issue in my limited 914 seat time. I did have an issue in a Lotus Elise fitting my foot between the brake pedal and the spine in order to make the Elise go.

Off the top of my head, it seems like the brake pedal would have to be a bit soft to go in far enough to get your foot stuck under the gas pedal? But then, I have a total of maybe 20 minutes behind the wheel of a 914 in my life, so I am far from an authority...
+Quote Post
ericread
post Feb 25 2009, 12:39 PM
Post #3

The Viper Blue 914

Member No.: 8,432
Region Association: Southern California

I wear size 13 shoes which are pretty wide. And yes, just once in a while I get my right foot caught up behind the brake. But usually it's just a matter of me getting lazy with my right leg.

You'll find the more you drive, the less this occurs. There's really plenty of room if you orientate you feet just right. And I've been trying out some driving shoes lately. Their reduced width make me much less likely to get caught up.

Eric
+Quote Post
JoeSharp
post Feb 25 2009, 12:44 PM
Post #4

In Irvine, Ca. May 15-18

Member No.: 898
Region Association: South East States

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Yeah what Eric said. I had the same problem with my 10.5 D and got used to it. Had a DD for a year and a half and didn't remember the porblem till this thread. Finish your car and get used to it.
+Quote Post
toon1
post Feb 25 2009, 12:58 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 5,022

I wear size 13's, sometimes the pedals get small.

I did make my own center console because the stock one got in the way.

Other than that, it's not bad
+Quote Post
Bruce Hinds
post Feb 25 2009, 01:00 PM
Post #6

V-8 madness

Member No.: 7,391

However, twice my right foot got stuck when I pushed in the brake. It got trapped behind the gas pedal.

Stuck behind the Gas Pedal..... your brake pedal should not go down that far. Otherwise you couldn't "heal and toe!"(the fun stuff)
+Quote Post
6freak
post Feb 25 2009, 01:02 PM
Post #7

MR.C

Member No.: 8,829

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Feb 25 2009, 10:19 AM) *

Despite being on the Club/World since 2003 and restoring mine since 2005, I have never actually driven a 914 before yesterday. Yeah, I've moved mine in and out of the garage lately, but that does not really count as driving.

Yesterday, jsayere talked me into driving his car to check out his new tires, while I was over there picking up speakers. Awesome! Just a little more incentive to get mine done.

However, twice my right foot got stuck when I pushed in the brake. It got trapped behind the gas pedal. I do have wide feet, and usually wear Doc Martens (which have a lip on the sole).

is this just one of those things that you get used to by the third drive, and your feet sort of learn where they have to be? Or is it just one of the quirks that go with small older cars? Or is is "man, oh man, you feets to big!"

Zach

WOW .I would have never guessed that about you or Todd.....Fellas get your stuff go`n !!and you wont have a problem ,,,but i would loose the big fat shows for sure. I kicked the fuse box with big shoes one nite and had to find all the fuse`s in the dark "not fun" I now wear Van`s tennis shoe`s when i drive the 6..Polloties if thats how you spell it makes a nice shoe for drive`n $$$$......seat time, seat time, seat time
+Quote Post
ericread
post Feb 25 2009, 01:03 PM
Post #8

The Viper Blue 914

Member No.: 8,432
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Bruce Hinds @ Feb 25 2009, 11:00 AM) *

Stuck behind the Gas Pedal..... your brake pedal should not go down that far. Otherwise you couldn't "heal and toe!"(the fun stuff)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

I'd be pretty scared if my brake pedal went down that far...

+Quote Post
6freak
post Feb 25 2009, 01:08 PM
Post #9

MR.C

Member No.: 8,829

I dont heal toe ...i just rock my foot to the right and that works for me.But my souls only half way on the B pedal...............Thats if my brakes are work`n right
+Quote Post
RoadGlue
post Feb 25 2009, 02:39 PM
Post #10

Sonoma County Gear Head

Group: Admin
Member No.: 108
Region Association: Northern California

I've had the same issue with boots with lips on the site. Makes heel toe blipping a biatch too. Ditch the docs while driving. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
slackin' at work
post Feb 25 2009, 02:50 PM
Post #11

i should be working

Member No.: 8,215

QUOTE(ericread @ Feb 25 2009, 02:03 PM) *

X2

I always had trouble in 914s with the center console more than anything.
never what you're experiencing.

1991 called... they want their shoes back.
1891 called... they want their mustache back.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/KMA.gif)
+Quote Post
toon1
post Feb 25 2009, 03:10 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 5,022

QUOTE(slackin' at work @ Feb 25 2009, 12:50 PM) *

X2

I always had trouble in 914s with the center console more than anything.
never what you're experiencing.

1991 called... they want their shoes back.
1891 called... they want their mustache back.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/KMA.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Feb 25 2009, 04:29 PM
Post #13

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031
Region Association: None

I find that it is easier to work the clutch and throttle without shoes. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon8.gif)

When I have tennis shoes or other heavy shoes on I don't get a good feel for the clutch and throttle.

Kinda like Ronnie Van Zant of Lynyrd Skynyrd who would perform w/o shoes cause he could feel the stage better.
+Quote Post
PanelBilly
post Feb 25 2009, 04:51 PM
Post #14

914 Guru

Member No.: 6,488

Sometimes when I'm walking from one side of the car to the other, I trip over my own feet and need to catch myself before I hit the ground. I don't blame the car any, I think its the Fat Tires that I've been drinking that are the cause of the problem

Sometimes I wear a size 11, sometimes I take the 11.5. Either size doesn't seem to make a difference in the number to falls, just how long I can stand and sand.

Do you think if I get more foot time that I'll get any better?
Attached Image
+Quote Post
jsayre914
post Feb 25 2009, 05:32 PM
Post #15

Speed Up !!!

Member No.: 8,696

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/hide.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

+Quote Post
mtn flyr
post Feb 25 2009, 06:11 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 8,491
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Been driving mine for about 3 years with no issues, mens size 6! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
yellow914
post Feb 25 2009, 06:23 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 8,861
Region Association: Northern California

Nope never got my feet stuck...although I've never gotten my zipper caught on anything either... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) wonder if there is a connection ???
+Quote Post
dinomium
post Feb 25 2009, 06:33 PM
Post #18

Git on a chair son, all the good stuff is goin over yer head!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 74

I have not my EEE stuck in the pedals of the 914, but I have in the race car since the RX7 have their pedals upside down, hanging from above and all
Just not right like 1st gear being up and left...
+Quote Post
flippa
post Feb 25 2009, 09:46 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,720
Region Association: North East States

I haven't driven a 914 since 1994, funny how you can forget about stuff like this.

I used to get my 11.5 E's stuck every once in a while, especially when wearing work boots. Definitely freaks you out when it first happens.

I have to agree with several of the other guys points;

1. You get used to it.

2. Center console is a pain in the ass. It makes it real tight down there. I removed the rear panel on the driver's side to get a little more room for the pooches. The gauges are nice to have, but I won't be putting a console in the car I am fixing.

3. I would drive without shoes constantly; it is just more comfortable in socks.

and finally

4. 1891 called... they want their mustache back. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I had a friend who had a Pantera. That car was rediculously tight. I had problems driving it as it was tigher than the 914. He actually had special shoes/slippers that he would put on when he drove.

I loved busting his balls when we went for a cruise by singing the "Mister Roger's Neighborhood" song while he was changing into his fancy driving shoes. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post
LarryR
post Feb 25 2009, 10:04 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 7,604

LOL! Man I am glad to hear I am not the only one here lacking seat time in a 914.
I have owned 3 (presently 2) 914's ... I have driven none of them (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif) My only time driving 914's has been test driving cars I was looking to buy (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) which probably adds up to a whopping 5 or 10 minutes. I do wear a size size 11 and dont recall any issues.

side note I have seriously dialed back my 70 914 project to get it on the road soon. I want to drive it once or twice a week and soon so my current project is just throw in a 6, do the 5 lug conversion, and drive it.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st May 2024 - 06:02 PM