Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Do your feet get stuck?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
VaccaRabite
Despite being on the Club/World since 2003 and restoring mine since 2005, I have never actually driven a 914 before yesterday. Yeah, I've moved mine in and out of the garage lately, but that does not really count as driving.

Yesterday, jsayere talked me into driving his car to check out his new tires, while I was over there picking up speakers. Awesome! Just a little more incentive to get mine done.

However, twice my right foot got stuck when I pushed in the brake. It got trapped behind the gas pedal. I do have wide feet, and usually wear Doc Martens (which have a lip on the sole).

is this just one of those things that you get used to by the third drive, and your feet sort of learn where they have to be? Or is it just one of the quirks that go with small older cars? Or is is "man, oh man, you feets to big!"

Zach
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Feb 25 2009, 10:19 AM) *

However, twice my right foot got stuck when I pushed in the brake. It got trapped behind the gas pedal.

That's a lot better than the other way around!

I've got pretty big feet myself (11.5 E), and I always wear hiking boots, and I've not had an issue in my limited 914 seat time. I did have an issue in a Lotus Elise fitting my foot between the brake pedal and the spine in order to make the Elise go.

Off the top of my head, it seems like the brake pedal would have to be a bit soft to go in far enough to get your foot stuck under the gas pedal? But then, I have a total of maybe 20 minutes behind the wheel of a 914 in my life, so I am far from an authority...
ericread
I wear size 13 shoes which are pretty wide. And yes, just once in a while I get my right foot caught up behind the brake. But usually it's just a matter of me getting lazy with my right leg.

You'll find the more you drive, the less this occurs. There's really plenty of room if you orientate you feet just right. And I've been trying out some driving shoes lately. Their reduced width make me much less likely to get caught up.

Eric
JoeSharp
agree.gif Yeah what Eric said. I had the same problem with my 10.5 D and got used to it. Had a DD for a year and a half and didn't remember the porblem till this thread. Finish your car and get used to it.
toon1
I wear size 13's, sometimes the pedals get small.

I did make my own center console because the stock one got in the way.

Other than that, it's not bad
Bruce Hinds
However, twice my right foot got stuck when I pushed in the brake. It got trapped behind the gas pedal.

Stuck behind the Gas Pedal..... your brake pedal should not go down that far. Otherwise you couldn't "heal and toe!"(the fun stuff)
6freak
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Feb 25 2009, 10:19 AM) *

Despite being on the Club/World since 2003 and restoring mine since 2005, I have never actually driven a 914 before yesterday. Yeah, I've moved mine in and out of the garage lately, but that does not really count as driving.

Yesterday, jsayere talked me into driving his car to check out his new tires, while I was over there picking up speakers. Awesome! Just a little more incentive to get mine done.

However, twice my right foot got stuck when I pushed in the brake. It got trapped behind the gas pedal. I do have wide feet, and usually wear Doc Martens (which have a lip on the sole).

is this just one of those things that you get used to by the third drive, and your feet sort of learn where they have to be? Or is it just one of the quirks that go with small older cars? Or is is "man, oh man, you feets to big!"

Zach

WOW .I would have never guessed that about you or Todd.....Fellas get your stuff go`n !!and you wont have a problem ,,,but i would loose the big fat shows for sure. I kicked the fuse box with big shoes one nite and had to find all the fuse`s in the dark "not fun" I now wear Van`s tennis shoe`s when i drive the 6..Polloties if thats how you spell it makes a nice shoe for drive`n $$$$......seat time, seat time, seat time
ericread
QUOTE(Bruce Hinds @ Feb 25 2009, 11:00 AM) *

Stuck behind the Gas Pedal..... your brake pedal should not go down that far. Otherwise you couldn't "heal and toe!"(the fun stuff)

agree.gif

I'd be pretty scared if my brake pedal went down that far...

6freak

I dont heal toe ...i just rock my foot to the right and that works for me.But my souls only half way on the B pedal...............Thats if my brakes are work`n right
RoadGlue
I've had the same issue with boots with lips on the site. Makes heel toe blipping a biatch too. Ditch the docs while driving. smile.gif
slackin' at work
QUOTE(ericread @ Feb 25 2009, 02:03 PM) *

X2

I always had trouble in 914s with the center console more than anything.
never what you're experiencing.

1991 called... they want their shoes back.
1891 called... they want their mustache back.

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif KMA.gif
toon1
QUOTE(slackin' at work @ Feb 25 2009, 12:50 PM) *

X2

I always had trouble in 914s with the center console more than anything.
never what you're experiencing.

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif KMA.gif

av-943.gif
Spoke
I find that it is easier to work the clutch and throttle without shoes. icon8.gif

When I have tennis shoes or other heavy shoes on I don't get a good feel for the clutch and throttle.

Kinda like Ronnie Van Zant of Lynyrd Skynyrd who would perform w/o shoes cause he could feel the stage better.
PanelBilly
Sometimes when I'm walking from one side of the car to the other, I trip over my own feet and need to catch myself before I hit the ground. I don't blame the car any, I think its the Fat Tires that I've been drinking that are the cause of the problem

Sometimes I wear a size 11, sometimes I take the 11.5. Either size doesn't seem to make a difference in the number to falls, just how long I can stand and sand.

Do you think if I get more foot time that I'll get any better?
Click to view attachment
jsayre914
hide.gif

agree.gif

mtn flyr
Been driving mine for about 3 years with no issues, mens size 6! biggrin.gif
yellow914
Nope never got my feet stuck...although I've never gotten my zipper caught on anything either... confused24.gif wonder if there is a connection ???
dinomium
I have not my EEE stuck in the pedals of the 914, but I have in the race car since the RX7 have their pedals upside down, hanging from above and all
Just not right like 1st gear being up and left...
flippa
I haven't driven a 914 since 1994, funny how you can forget about stuff like this.

I used to get my 11.5 E's stuck every once in a while, especially when wearing work boots. Definitely freaks you out when it first happens.

I have to agree with several of the other guys points;

1. You get used to it.

2. Center console is a pain in the ass. It makes it real tight down there. I removed the rear panel on the driver's side to get a little more room for the pooches. The gauges are nice to have, but I won't be putting a console in the car I am fixing.

3. I would drive without shoes constantly; it is just more comfortable in socks.

and finally

4. 1891 called... they want their mustache back. biggrin.gif

I had a friend who had a Pantera. That car was rediculously tight. I had problems driving it as it was tigher than the 914. He actually had special shoes/slippers that he would put on when he drove.

I loved busting his balls when we went for a cruise by singing the "Mister Roger's Neighborhood" song while he was changing into his fancy driving shoes. lol-2.gif
LarryR
LOL! Man I am glad to hear I am not the only one here lacking seat time in a 914.
I have owned 3 (presently 2) 914's ... I have driven none of them slap.gif My only time driving 914's has been test driving cars I was looking to buy lol-2.gif which probably adds up to a whopping 5 or 10 minutes. I do wear a size size 11 and dont recall any issues.

side note I have seriously dialed back my 70 914 project to get it on the road soon. I want to drive it once or twice a week and soon so my current project is just throw in a 6, do the 5 lug conversion, and drive it.
mein_tag
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Feb 25 2009, 03:51 PM) *

I've always really liked that one.. just the the shade of blue, and the flares. what are you plans for it? hijacked.gif
'73-914kid
Oh well I'm screwed.....
I wear size 15's.....time to buy driving shoes I guess....that or just sell the 914 right? sheeplove.gif
turboman808
I feel like a dork wearing driving shoes. Everyone and their mom has pumas.

For serious driving I use Onitsuka shoes(tigers mostly). Little different from wearing pumas and not everyone wears them yet. Thats slowly changing though. Seems the trendys are picking up on them now. But still a great shoe.

Supposed to be styled after track and feild shoes

IPB Image

Oh if you want to be ahead to the curve get some Golas. Still hard to find in the US and it will raise your cool level and you will be able to drive. Got a set that matches my burberry jacket. I must be gay LOL

IPB Image
dinomium
really? shoe talk now?
lol
I like these for milling around the track and they are nomex...
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(slackin' at work @ Feb 25 2009, 03:50 PM) *

NEVER! I buy a new pair every 6-7 years whether I need them or not. But I could just wear my chucks when driving. No issue there. I'll not be buying nancy boy driving shoes. bootyshake.gif stirthepot.gif

And they can have it once the summer comes, and my cheeks yearn for the tender kiss of warm air. Until then, what would I twirl while tying damsels to the track?

As to the brakes. I was not flogging Joe's car, but it had no issues stopping.

Zach
MoveQik
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Feb 26 2009, 06:41 AM) *

But I could just wear my chucks when driving. No issue there. I'll not be buying nancy boy driving shoes. bootyshake.gif stirthepot.gif

Zach

And there is your answer. I have size 11 chucks with zero issues. If it is cold out, I'll switch to the Vans. They are a little bit warmer. biggrin.gif

Driving shoes?? lol-2.gif
dinomium
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Feb 26 2009, 05:41 AM) *

NEVER! I buy a new pair every 6-7 years whether I need them or not. But I could just wear my chucks when driving. No issue there. I'll not be buying nancy boy driving shoes. bootyshake.gif stirthepot.gif

And they can have it once the summer comes, and my cheeks yearn for the tender kiss of warm air. Until then, what would I twirl while tying damsels to the track?

As to the brakes. I was not flogging Joe's car, but it had no issues stopping.

Zach

drole, very drole
But if you have ever been in a car fire and had gas sprayed on your feet that then were also on fire when the Police sprayed you down with the extinguisher
happy11.gif , you might hold nomex driving shoes in a little higher regard...
Lancia Betas burn really well too! Did you know that Italian sound deading blankets in the engine compartment are FLAMMABLE? Now we both do!

stirthepot.gif
6freak
QUOTE(dinomium @ Feb 25 2009, 11:33 PM) *

really? shoe talk now?
lol
I like these for milling around the track and they are nomex...

YUP thats what i said ...Dang it i knew i misspelled it ...cool but big $$$$$
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.