Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OK, the brakes work..., ...now I need her to run reliably!
mbrown3039
post Mar 1 2009, 10:55 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,658
Region Association: Southwest Region

So, I bled the brakes today (by myself -- go Motive Power Bleeder!) and decided it was time to take the blue bomb around the block for a test spin (and first drive since I got her!). I jump started her (still need a new battery, but I don't want to buy one that'll just sit and go bad if the car doesn't run) and let it run for a bit, then went for an unsuccesful test drive around the block. Here's the symptomology:

1. The fuel pump runs constantly. And not a pleasant "hum" or "whirr," but an oscillating, loud "buzz."

2. When the engine was cold, if I gave it gas the engine would stumble. When I released the gas pedal, it would return to a relatively smooth idle.

3. Once it warmed up (idle smoothed out a bit extra), I drove off and discovered that once I hit about 3K rpm, the engine would stumble and lose power. The car stalled halfway around the block (luckily, I chose to go uphill first) and -- with no good battery -- I gave it one good push and coasted home.

Aside from a general tune-up, what else is going on here? Also, next to each spark plug there's a tube with a threaded end (but nothing attached to any of the four) and I saw some wisps of smoke coming out of them -- what are they for? Am I missing some engine parts?

As always, thanks in advance, Mike
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
type47
post Mar 2 2009, 06:56 AM
Post #2

Viermeister

Member No.: 994
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

What year and engine and FI or carbs? My first thought is dwell and timing and working vacuum advance.
+Quote Post
mbrown3039
post Mar 2 2009, 09:06 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 9,658
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(type47 @ Mar 2 2009, 04:56 AM) *

What year and engine and FI or carbs? My first thought is dwell and timing and working vacuum advance.

Oops! Sorry about that -- she's a '76 FI. M
+Quote Post
underthetire
post Mar 2 2009, 12:57 PM
Post #4

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,623
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(mbrown3039 @ Mar 2 2009, 07:06 AM) *

QUOTE(type47 @ Mar 2 2009, 04:56 AM) *

Oops! Sorry about that -- she's a '76 FI. M

Get a battery. Iv'e seen, and had, a lot of issues with bad batteries. If a cell is shorted it can drop your charging system down so things go kinda funny. I even had a 3 month old battery die in my jeep on HWY 5 leaving me stuck at a rest stop in the poring rain. At it was not even a cheap battery!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 05:10 PM