Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OK, the brakes work...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mbrown3039
So, I bled the brakes today (by myself -- go Motive Power Bleeder!) and decided it was time to take the blue bomb around the block for a test spin (and first drive since I got her!). I jump started her (still need a new battery, but I don't want to buy one that'll just sit and go bad if the car doesn't run) and let it run for a bit, then went for an unsuccesful test drive around the block. Here's the symptomology:

1. The fuel pump runs constantly. And not a pleasant "hum" or "whirr," but an oscillating, loud "buzz."

2. When the engine was cold, if I gave it gas the engine would stumble. When I released the gas pedal, it would return to a relatively smooth idle.

3. Once it warmed up (idle smoothed out a bit extra), I drove off and discovered that once I hit about 3K rpm, the engine would stumble and lose power. The car stalled halfway around the block (luckily, I chose to go uphill first) and -- with no good battery -- I gave it one good push and coasted home.

Aside from a general tune-up, what else is going on here? Also, next to each spark plug there's a tube with a threaded end (but nothing attached to any of the four) and I saw some wisps of smoke coming out of them -- what are they for? Am I missing some engine parts?

As always, thanks in advance, Mike
type47
What year and engine and FI or carbs? My first thought is dwell and timing and working vacuum advance.
mbrown3039
QUOTE(type47 @ Mar 2 2009, 04:56 AM) *

What year and engine and FI or carbs? My first thought is dwell and timing and working vacuum advance.

Oops! Sorry about that -- she's a '76 FI. M
underthetire
QUOTE(mbrown3039 @ Mar 2 2009, 07:06 AM) *

QUOTE(type47 @ Mar 2 2009, 04:56 AM) *

Oops! Sorry about that -- she's a '76 FI. M

Get a battery. Iv'e seen, and had, a lot of issues with bad batteries. If a cell is shorted it can drop your charging system down so things go kinda funny. I even had a 3 month old battery die in my jeep on HWY 5 leaving me stuck at a rest stop in the poring rain. At it was not even a cheap battery!

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.