Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Speedo cable issues
cvoros
post Mar 4 2009, 01:41 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,086
Region Association: Southwest Region

Have a speedo cable problem - hopefully not a speedo problem. Occasionally my cable seems to become disengaged from the back - it starts making a loud buzzing noise, the needle winds up to 100+mph, etc. I can take the speedo out and the retaining cap at the end of the cable seems to be screwed on tightly to the back of the speedo, but I take it off and put it back on and it will do fine for several days, then suddenly starts up again.

Is the opposite end of the cable at the passenger rear of the tranny? If so, that seems to be screwed in place well also.

Does this sound like just a worn cable or am I looking at a bigger problem?

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SGB
post Mar 4 2009, 08:16 AM
Post #2

just visiting

Member No.: 404
Region Association: South East States

More than likely it is the speedo drive gear at the tranny. They are pretty cheap, and very easy to replace. It is only held in by a single setscrew, and is isolated from the trans fluid by an O-ring, so it is just a bolt on opperation.
+Quote Post
cvoros
post Mar 4 2009, 08:23 AM
Post #3

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/smart/...29%2C%20Each%20

This dealie here? Cheap?? Well, its only $100! Glad install is easy. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
cvoros
post Mar 9 2009, 01:38 AM
Post #4

QUOTE(SGB @ Mar 4 2009, 08:16 AM) *

More than likely it is the speedo drive gear at the tranny. They are pretty cheap, and very easy to replace. It is only held in by a single setscrew, and is isolated from the trans fluid by an O-ring, so it is just a bolt on opperation.

So, nothing can be simple with me I swear. I took the set-screw out and as its coming out it feels wobbly. I didnt remove the speedo angle drive - but when I went to put the set-screw back in it wouldnt tighten. Those threads had been helicoiled and have come out. I am going to have to take my muffler/exhaust off, find what size helicoil I need now - just to get the set-screw back to hold in the old angle drive. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Just to be certain - I assume I should NOT drive the car without the set-screw holding the speedo angle drive?
+Quote Post
cvoros
post Mar 11 2009, 11:50 PM
Post #5

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_bump.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 03:30 PM