Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Speedo cable issues
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cvoros
Have a speedo cable problem - hopefully not a speedo problem. Occasionally my cable seems to become disengaged from the back - it starts making a loud buzzing noise, the needle winds up to 100+mph, etc. I can take the speedo out and the retaining cap at the end of the cable seems to be screwed on tightly to the back of the speedo, but I take it off and put it back on and it will do fine for several days, then suddenly starts up again.

Is the opposite end of the cable at the passenger rear of the tranny? If so, that seems to be screwed in place well also.

Does this sound like just a worn cable or am I looking at a bigger problem?

SGB
More than likely it is the speedo drive gear at the tranny. They are pretty cheap, and very easy to replace. It is only held in by a single setscrew, and is isolated from the trans fluid by an O-ring, so it is just a bolt on opperation.
cvoros
http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/smart/...29%2C%20Each%20

This dealie here? Cheap?? Well, its only $100! Glad install is easy. laugh.gif

cvoros
QUOTE(SGB @ Mar 4 2009, 08:16 AM) *

More than likely it is the speedo drive gear at the tranny. They are pretty cheap, and very easy to replace. It is only held in by a single setscrew, and is isolated from the trans fluid by an O-ring, so it is just a bolt on opperation.

So, nothing can be simple with me I swear. I took the set-screw out and as its coming out it feels wobbly. I didnt remove the speedo angle drive - but when I went to put the set-screw back in it wouldnt tighten. Those threads had been helicoiled and have come out. I am going to have to take my muffler/exhaust off, find what size helicoil I need now - just to get the set-screw back to hold in the old angle drive. headbang.gif

Just to be certain - I assume I should NOT drive the car without the set-screw holding the speedo angle drive?
cvoros

icon_bump.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.