Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Finally got a real alignment!, Wow, what a difference
Retroracer
post Dec 21 2020, 04:38 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,100
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Dec 21 2020, 01:01 PM) *

I know I'm bringing back the dead replying to this thread, but it is the only one I could find with alignment specs outside of stock.

I am looking for a good setup for spirited street driving. I am not very concerned about tire wear, but I will want to be able to drive on the highway as well as the twisties.

My setup is pretty aggressive, probably way too aggressive, but parts that I have accrued over time without necessarily knowing what I was buying. I have 22mm torsion bars, a 19mm Tarrett sway bar (currently not attached), Koni reds set on 1 and 195/50-16 in the front. Out back, 165# progressive springs with Koni reds on 1 with 205/55-16s. Perches aren't adjustable, so I can't really corner balance effectively.

A buddy tells me I should run a fair amount of toe-in in the back and as much negative camber as possible front and rear (making them equal side to side). What would be a good number for toe-in on the rear?

Up front, I was going to run as much negative camber as possible and 1/16th on the toe-in. I have no idea on caster. Planning to use what Randy posted above.

The car is at the shop now waiting for my desired specs. Would appreciate insight from anyone in the know.

I would this really useful for setting up my car. Spirited street driving and occasional track days: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...t&id=363723

FWIW,

- Tony
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Dec 21 2020, 04:43 PM
Post #22

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Some people don't get how important an alignment is. Buddy of mine was complaining about his 996 feeling "loose" in the rear end even after replacing the control arm etc. Took it for a quick drive and didn't even need to hit 30mph. So much toe-in the 996 was scooting around trying to find grip. He already ruined his tires as well. Scolded him and sent him on his way.

Good on you for aligning your 914.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Dec 21 2020, 04:56 PM
Post #23

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Dec 21 2020, 01:01 PM) *

I know I'm bringing back the dead replying to this thread, but it is the only one I could find with alignment specs outside of stock.

I am looking for a good setup for spirited street driving. I am not very concerned about tire wear, but I will want to be able to drive on the highway as well as the twisties.

My setup is pretty aggressive, probably way too aggressive, but parts that I have accrued over time without necessarily knowing what I was buying. I have 22mm torsion bars, a 19mm Tarrett sway bar (currently not attached), Koni reds set on 1 and 195/50-16 in the front. Out back, 165# progressive springs with Koni reds on 1 with 205/55-16s. Perches aren't adjustable, so I can't really corner balance effectively.

A buddy tells me I should run a fair amount of toe-in in the back and as much negative camber as possible front and rear (making them equal side to side). What would be a good number for toe-in on the rear?

Up front, I was going to run as much negative camber as possible and 1/16th on the toe-in. I have no idea on caster. Planning to use what Randy posted above.

The car is at the shop now waiting for my desired specs. Would appreciate insight from anyone in the know.

Randy's numbers are pretty good for a mild mannered street car.

I think I would have toed in rears in 1/16" for better turn in on his setup vs out. I run 1/8" toe in on the rear but have 50% more tire than most people.
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Dec 21 2020, 05:44 PM
Post #24

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

The real key is to find a shop that actually knows what a 914 is and has done 914 alignments before. And not 30 years ago when some guy named Joe worked for them.

My car was aligned by a shop after it was first running and they completely screwed up the alignment and it apparently drove like crap as a result. Then, Jim took it to a highly recommended shop that knew what they were doing and they dialed it in the way it should be. Car rides nice and straight, turns in nicely and I do not get shredded rubber all over my rear fenders. Jim said the difference was so dramatic, he took his Six in to have his alignment re-done.

The same can be said for wheel balancing. Who would think it is that hard to get it right with all of the machines being computer driven and providing a digital readout after the wheel is balanced. Yet all 4 of my wheels, when I had them balanced at a shop near my home, ended up being out on average of 1 ounce. I took the car to Roger Krause Racing in Castro Valley and they are now perfect; the car rides like it is on glass now.

So, yeah.... I paid for 2 alignments and 2 wheel balances. Yes I am sure I could have challenged the charge and prevailed, but the shops that did the "work" spent the time and thought they were doing it right. I felt they deserved something for their effort. I will just never return to them for any additional work on any of my cars or refer anyone else to them.
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Dec 21 2020, 05:55 PM
Post #25

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,877
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Dec 21 2020, 05:43 PM) *

Some people don't get how important an alignment is. Buddy of mine was complaining about his 996 feeling "loose" in the rear end even after replacing the control arm etc. Took it for a quick drive and didn't even need to hit 30mph. So much toe-in the 996 was scooting around trying to find grip. He already ruined his tires as well. Scolded him and sent him on his way.

Good on you for aligning your 914.

Something like a visit to the chiropractor? Funny how that works, having things where they should be?

I will be looking for one local to Buffalo or will attempt the old fashion methods
+Quote Post
bkrantz
post Dec 21 2020, 08:33 PM
Post #26

914 Guru

Member No.: 23,343
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

You can corner balance with the front torsion bar adjustments. All you are trying to do is avoid the car bearing most of its weight on a "diagonal", i.e. left front and right rear vs. right front and left rear.

You can't get a perfect left to right balance without relocating weight in the car. And front to rear balance is a function of vehicle design.
+Quote Post
Coondog
post Dec 22 2020, 07:41 AM
Post #27

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,195
Region Association: Southern California

What’s the best shop in the Southern Calif area ?
+Quote Post
sb914
post Dec 22 2020, 08:05 AM
Post #28

Surf Guru

Member No.: 15,191
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Coondog @ Dec 22 2020, 05:41 AM) *

What’s the best shop in the Southern Calif area ?

Ask Jim Hoyland
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
jd74914
post Dec 22 2020, 08:11 AM
Post #29

Its alive

Member No.: 1,659
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Dec 21 2020, 06:44 PM) *

The same can be said for wheel balancing. Who would think it is that hard to get it right with all of the machines being computer driven and providing a digital readout after the wheel is balanced. Yet all 4 of my wheels, when I had them balanced at a shop near my home, ended up being out on average of 1 ounce. I took the car to Roger Krause Racing in Castro Valley and they are now perfect; the car rides like it is on glass now.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) It is crazy.

Quick story to that effect: I have a buddy who does tires on the side (funny in that his day job is as a engine dynamics engineer at a jet engine company). He claims people are worse at balances now that everything has a readout because they just go with it and don't think about what they are doing. I had him rebalance the newly replaced tires on my wife's car and he literally removed 3 strips of weights on each wheel and replaced with a few oz's here and there; with dramatic driving quality improvement.
+Quote Post
brant
post Dec 22 2020, 08:28 AM
Post #30

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(bkrantz @ Dec 21 2020, 07:33 PM) *

You can corner balance with the front torsion bar adjustments. All you are trying to do is avoid the car bearing most of its weight on a "diagonal", i.e. left front and right rear vs. right front and left rear.

You can't get a perfect left to right balance without relocating weight in the car. And front to rear balance is a function of vehicle design.

There is a formula to calculate ideal corner weight for any cars dynamics
We use a worksheet to fine tune our corner balance

Can usually get it tuned with in a pound of the ideal calculation
Brant
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Dec 22 2020, 09:36 AM
Post #31

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058
Region Association: None

Thank you for this thread, Randy.

I need to make the switch from Bilsteins to Konis at some point, and raise the front spindles. Then I think it's time to make a trip to Custom Alignment.

You are so right about a good alignment, and a good alignment isn't quick or just a few bucks—but it can transform the way a car handles and feels...and few cars are more about feel and handling than the 914.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th June 2024 - 08:50 AM